Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I don't get the Ceci trade at all if you weren't going to match either player. I think walking away is the best move for both players, but you didn't need to trade Ceci in that scenario. Very strange
They traded him because he us not a shutdown defender. And with the advent of Bouchard offensive d is covered.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Honestly, the goal now is to just make the playoffs. Winning the division is a pipe dream with our current D. Sucks, but it what it is.

Dude get off the bridge... how does our current D suck? It's practically the same as last year sans a young player who played 10 good games in the playoffs and a guy everyone and their mother was saying we should ship off no matter the cost.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
There is no winning for the Oil from people on this board.

If they match, people dump on them for paying 2 unproven prospects $6.5M+ and how cap strapped we will be.

If they don't match, people dump on them for losing youth and leaving holes in the roster while adding flexibility.

There is literally no situation that leads to a positive reaction on here.
Trading these guys last deadline. (instead of losing for nothing)

Keeping VDD

Having a plan and adding something good moving forward.

------------------------------------------------------
^ This would/will lead to a positive reaction.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
The D is really, really bad. It was already maybe league average with Ceci and Broberg, and now its likely bottom 5 in the entire league. It's pretty crazy that 10 years into McDavid's career and we still have one of the worst D-cores in the league. Bonkers really.
So you're saying adding players from the worst defensive teams in the NHL (Arizona and San Jose) wont make us better?!? :sarcasm:

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
The bright side of this is the Oilers do get some picks and flexibility moving forward for this season and Ceci and Broberg are realistically 3rd pairing d-men and Holloway would have likely started the season on the 4th line. If the Oilers add even one average NHL d-men before the season starts they are not that far off from where they ended last season but will also have more options at the deadline then they would have had if they matched. Matching Broberg and relying on him to be a top 4 d-man making 4.5 million is really not an ideal option.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
If only Nurse defended for the Oilers as well as you do.
Best part is I’ve agreed with you over and over and you continue to try and find things to fight about. Change your name to MadKeith.

I love seeing how people fly off the handle when adversity hits the team they cheer for, because you know it’s a direct reflection of how they’d handle adversity in their own life.

You’re mad and want to fight with me over anything and everything. Yet the bones of the problem we agree on, but you’ve got no possible solution and you’re harping on things that aren’t the actual issue. So weird.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I look at it this way. The Oilers played like 95% of last season with three top 4 Dmen and three bottom 6 Dmen and that still holds true today. What I'm hoping for is that Emberson has some growth potential to be better than Ceci, with Ceci we were never going to get a player that is better than he was and we know that Nurse-Ceci was an abomination so I think even with the lack of experience there's more room for growth with this group even without any moves being made. Or Emberson could be a total flop and they're plugging Stecher into the top 4 and Brown in the top 6. Definitely a higher risk, higher reward thing.

I'm ok with the short term, I think they can make due until the deadline but it's the lost upside that really bothers me about letting Broberg go. That's going to be a tough void to fill when Ekholm ages out.
Fair perspective.
Emberson is the key and I wish I had seen him play even once.

Reactions: CupofOil

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Updated Lines:

Skinner/McDavid/Hyman
RNH/Draisaitl/Arvidsson
Janmark/Henrique/Brown
Anyone but Ryan/Perry

Ekholm/Bouchard
Nurse/Stecher
Kulak/Emberson
Brown

Skinner
Pickard

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Best part is I’ve agreed with you over and over and you continue to try and find things to fight about. Change your name to MadKeith.
I'm upset at the way the defense looks right now. I have no idea why that's such a contentious thing to be upset about. I also don't like the idea of just waiting for the TDL to roll around to strengthen things, especially considering we don't have a first round pick this year.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
It may very well be that Ceci is a deadline addition and retained. By all accounts the players loved him and it won’t hurt to have him play bottom pair at 50% retained for the postseason. Sharks are more than likely moving him.

We are just storing him in California until we can afford him.

Yeah I could really see that happening, and said so right after the Ceci trade. Wouldn't surprise me at all really to being him back. Heck, he might even be one of the better options at that point. There aren't many RHS D that are UFA next season after all. Take a look at the RHS UFA Ds for next year, and its pretty remarkably bad. So Ceci really is one of the best targets. The best is likely Larsson, assuming that Seattle are sellers at the deadline. Pionk is the best, but Winnipeg will be in the playoffs. Savard in Montreal might be a target worth exploring.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Being able to add a top 4 D at the deadline will make our D better than any of the past 3 years. Hell even the year before we were the toughest test for Vegas and likely would have pushed it to game 7 if not for Nurse being a moron.

Everyone on here said Ceci was bottom pairing so replacing him with Emberson shouldn't be a huge issue. Broberg was also hot garbage last year except for like 10ish games in the playoffs.
The thing about Broberg (and I have posted about this wuite a bit already) is that the Oilers were trying to develop him as anb NHL player on his worng side.
That IMO was a mistake that the Blues wont make.

I am hoping Emberson is at least solid on D. Dont care about his offence at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad