Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
How do you know this to be the case? Its counter to everything thats been coming out recently.

Recently? This was 100% started on FA day when Jackson spent the cap and there needed to be a narrative to justify it.

Edm fans and media flocked to this like toilet paper during covid

oilcountry17

Aug 27, 2007
edmonton
Glad they went unmatched, don't need them coming back into the locker room after grabbing the bag when this team is so close to a the cap and b the end goal winning a cup.

Reactions: OilerMcLord

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
It may very well be that Ceci is a deadline addition and retained. By all accounts the players loved him and it won’t hurt to have him play bottom pair at 50% retained for the postseason. Sharks are more than likely moving him.

We are just storing him in California until we can afford him.
Not possible to trade for ceci with retention for the Oilers

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The guy? Yeah the guy you know nothing about.

Or the guy who would have been playing in Ceci’s spot in the playoffs if he didn’t need ankle surgery.

Being mad that we don’t have a championship defense and linking that to losing Ceci is complete nonsense.
Stecher was hurt, you say? Hmmm... He doesn't exactly have a history of playing an entire season over the past few years. Only two seasons over 60 games.

1724163498635.png

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
It's not but they did play the entire season and most of the playoffs with...

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Ceci
Kulak-Desharnais

I don't think anybody would have tabbed that as a Cup caliber defense going into the season.

I don't think Ceci to Emberson and Desharnais to Stecher is a big loss in the short term. It's losing the growth potential of Broberg that could really sting.
They did and that defense almost single handedly lost then every round but the PK structure saved them.

The bright side is that they seem to be wanted to bring in the best d possible at the deadline, its just going to be a potentially very rough few months defensively until we get there. There is a small chance it won't be but the forwards and the top pair are going to have to carry the load.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
I don't think there is a single advances stat number that defines players, some people have tried but the results are always peculiar.

One to consider is Corsi as that is a pretty simple measure. Using Corsi, the Oilers have moved on from their 6th, 7th, and 8th best defensemen from last year. IMO, you should do that almost every year.

One other thing to consider, the overwhelming need on defence is to find a suitable partner for Nurse. I wish someone would deep dive to see who he had success with. It certainly wasn't Ceci and it wasn't going to be an off winged Broberg. We have until the trade deadline to figure that one out.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
They better find one soon. If their solution is "Wait until the trade deadline" then Bowman can take a hike.
That's not going to happen or at least I'd be shocked if it happened. Nobody is trading a top 4 Dman before the season or even in season until teams become sellers.

Reactions: Faelko

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It's not but they did play the entire season and most of the playoffs with...

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Ceci
Kulak-Desharnais

I don't think anybody would have tabbed that as a Cup caliber defense going into the season.

I don't think Ceci to Emberson and Desharnais to Stecher is a big loss in the short term. It's losing the growth potential of Broberg that could really sting.
I wasnt a defender of Ceci but I do think that he took the heat for a very undewhelming Darnell Nurse much of the time.
The bottom 4 on this team wasnt particularily good last season (I do like Kulak as a #5 though) and its been downgraded this season.
It has to be improved IMO.

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
I know its not much but I give them credit for trying to get as many picks and prospects back as they can.

Holland spent a lot of picks and rarely ever got any back.

Blues fan coming in peace.

Just here to say that Fischer part of the deal shouldn't be overlooked. He was actually one of the ones many expected to eventually to develop into a full time NHLer, possbily a 4-5 D.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Imagine if the oilers just went out and landed 2 young top 15 picks with cup experience for just a couple middling picks and cap space. Imagine if they did that back in like 2016? We would have burnt the city down in celebration.

It was always “You have to trade the league MVP to get Adam Larsson” type rhetoric when we needed a D-man, but now its “Oh yea, just flip a couple bucks and a 2nd”

The Oilers are Player Value Anti-Matter. We are an eternal black hole.
Hard to believe we exist at all at this point. Something in the water, the resilience of fans..

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The Emberson move being so far out of left field has to be a Knob referral. He must feel this guy can handle top four minutes at a high level right now. I feel comfortable with his judgement.
He's a defensive D, so a good Ceci replacement. Imo he should fit into the system. I suspect he is a good placeholder for the real move to come later

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad