Post-Game Talk: Oilers dig a self-inflicted grave

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
What did you watch? The 3rd line was the best line by a country mile. The 4th wasn’t bad either. The top 6 was atrocious on both ends of the ice.
Sure. I get what you're saying but Jets third line bagged 3 goals in the game and not a unique thing for that club. The whole reason Henrique, Brown, Janmark are still here is to add some goals. They played well enough, I don't disagree, but they need to cash too and especially after two of them got NOTHING all of last regular season. I don't want another one unit performance from Brown and Janmark. They need to be a bigger part of things in bottomsix this year. Can't just be bringing it on the pk.

That said it was a great pass from Brown to Janmark. Didn't cash. The effort was there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Expatriate

Oilhawks

Over Old Hills
Nov 24, 2011
we traded for a worse player in Emberson..sure he has room to grow but Grier didn't have a problem moving him out of SJ

Worse remains to be seen. The talk was Ceci required a pick to dump before this trade, so even if Emberson ends up being a 7D or something, it’s still better than paying a 3rd to dump Ceci.

Ceci is known to be mediocre / bad and they were lucky to not have to pay to dump him

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I think we seldom have to complain about the top players here getting it done. Thats the history of this club throughout the McDrai arc. Again look at Scheifele yesterday. He was flubbing any chance he got. Didn't matter, rest of team down the lineup was getting it done and a third line with 3 goals. Other than Henrique we have nothing in our bottomsix.

Also you watched last season and playoffs. The topsix were spending the entire year making up for normal Skinner in net and a relatively weak D squad. Gets tiring doing your job and everybody elses. For Skinner and this D to have a good game requires superman efforts from our topsix doing all the work in ownzone.
We have a disproportional amount of cap space used in our top-6.

Our salary grid is setup in a way where the onus is on them to get the job done.

This isn't a 20 person unit that operates like a team.

This is like the Jimi Hendrix Experience, where we need Jimi to play each and every night or there's no show.

Our depth is like a backup band.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Like seriously, WTF? People have lost their marbles in terms of this apparent huge impact the departed players had.

This is all about the Oilers core, they do this shit every year coming out lackadaisical. Has very little to do with Cody freaking Ceci lol.
You're misunderstanding. It's not necessarily that Ceci was some amazing player, it's that his replacement isn't up to snuff. Yes it's one game and things could change but that pairing was picked apart last night.

Trading Ceci is fine as long as you provide an adequate replacement. Not even a game into the season and they had to break up that pairing.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Ehh, I wouldn't use a picture from a game that's fast paced to say stuff like that especially when Arvidsson is a scrappy f***er to play against.

Otherwise look at Toews for an example lol.
ABl9SY9.png
RV is by no means a scrappy player after two back surgeries. People are remembering the past RV. He hasn't been an impact player for years and barely played last season and was awful in playoffs. -3 in one of the playoff games.

RV will always look busy. But he's often busy and ineffective. Just like last night he'll get a few scoring chances and look skyward. Seen that look a lot of times.

RV typically now will have a few shifts in a game where he looks "scrappy" and you wonder where he is the rest of the game. I saw around 15 of his games last season and 5 more in the playoffs. LA didn't even want to retain him. RV was useful in LA in prior seasons but his boat has passed.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
RV is by no means a scrappy player after two back surgeries. People are remembering the past RV. He hasn't been an impact player for years and barely played last season and was awful in playoffs. -3 in one of the playoff games.

RV will always look busy. But he's often busy and ineffective. Just like last night he'll get a few scoring chances and look skyward. Seen that look a lot of times.

I personally won't base anything with one game from him as an Oiler. Just like how there's immense stupidity of 'I miss Ceci' from other posts.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
You're misunderstanding. It's not necessarily that Ceci was some amazing player, it's that his replacement isn't up to snuff. Yes it's one game and things could change but that pairing was picked apart last night.

Trading Ceci is fine as long as you provide an adequate replacement. Not even a game into the season and they had to break up that pairing.
I'd say that 1 game is a tad too early to make the determination that the Oilers don't have an adequate Ceci replacement.
"The Nurse pairing got picked apart". Well, yeah, put that statement on repeat many nights the last 3 years with Cody Ceci.

Again, it makes me laugh that there's so much lamenting of missing Ceci in a 6-0 loss as if he would have made one iota of difference in that game.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Sure. I get what you're saying but Jets top line bagged 3 goals in the game and not a unique thing for that club. The whole reason Henrique, Brown, Janmark are still here is to add some goals. They played well enough, I don't disagree, but they need to cash too and especially after two of them got NOTHING all of last regular season. I don't want another one unit performance from Brown and Janmark. They need to be a bigger part of things in bottomsix this year. Can't just be bringing it on the pk.

That said it was a great pass from Brown to Janmark. Didn't cash. The effort was there.
They’ll need to produce more for sure. The jets are built different though. We have distinct top 6 and a distinct bottom 6. They have more of a top 9 where players are more or less interchangeable on any line. They are expected to be regular contributors. We have more of a top heavy set up which is what it is in a cap league. We’re never going to have a 3rd line like theirs until McDavid and Draisaitl retire.

Reactions: TB12

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I'd say that 1 game is a tad too early to make the determination that the Oilers don't have an adequate Ceci replacement.
"The Nurse pairing got picked apart". Well, yeah, put that statement on repeat many nights the last 3 years with Cody Ceci.
Right, obviously Nurse is... Nurse.

And yes, it is too early. But it's still a lot to ask of a player with less than half a full season of NHL experience to anchor a top 4 pairing on a team that's expected to go very far in the playoffs. Nurse was bad but Emberson wasn't any better.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
We have a disproportional amount of cap space used in our top-6.

Our salary grid is setup in a way where the onus is on them to get the job done.

This isn't a 20 person unit that operates like a team.

This is like the Jimi Hendrix Experience, where we need Jimi to play each and every night or there's no show.

Our depth is like a backup band.
It isn't the topsix payscale that kills the team. Its Nurse collecting 9M plus several buy outs like Jack Campbell. How much of the cap is just wasted on complete non performance?

Keep in mind Drai still only getting 8.5M this season. Actually considering what they bring our topsix is not that high priced. It will be next year and with a Connor contract coming up.

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021

It's one game and way too early to say this.....people need to stop the silly hyperbolic over reaction. They lost 8-0 last year in game 1

Reactions: TB12

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It's one game and way too early to say this.....people need to stop the silly hyperbolic over reaction. They lost 8-0 last year in game 1
They could still win the Cup but that game did nothing to quell the concerns about the defense.

Again, they could come out and blow the doors off the Hawks and it wouldn't surprise me. But lose to that team and maybe it's time to worry.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
You can't figure it out?

A better start last year may have resulted in home ice in the final.
Your right. That was last year. Like I said, it has nothing to do with last night. Oh, and they have every chance to still have home ice this year.

Dee Dee, every team loses games during the season. I choose not to believe that home ice has been lost because of a disappointing loss last night.

Can’t you figure it out?

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
They’ll need to produce more for sure. The jets are built different though. We have distinct top 6 and a distinct bottom 6. They have more of a top 9 where players are more or less interchangeable on any line. They are expected to be regular contributors. We have more of a top heavy set up which is what it is in a cap league. We’re never going to have a 3rd line like theirs until McDavid and Draisaitl retire.
Yeah. Jets were also golfing again in all of May and not playing hockey until near July like the Oilers were. I'll take a team with playoff series wins. Jets have done precious nothing in postseason since beating us the Covid year.

Oilhawks

Over Old Hills
Nov 24, 2011

Again, it makes me laugh that there's so much lamenting of missing Ceci in a 6-0 loss as if he would have made one iota of difference in that game.

Hey now, there's a very good chance they lose 5-0 instead (and by good chance, like Dumb and Dumber "you're saying there's a chance" kind of chance).

Reactions: CupofOil

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
It isn't the topsix payscale that kills the team. Its Nurse collecting 9M plus several buy outs like Jack Campbell. How much of the cap is just wasted on complete non performance?

Keep in mind Drai still only getting 8.5M this season. Actually considering what they bring our topsix is not that high priced. It will be next year and with a Connor contract coming up.
Bingo, that's, BY FAR, the biggest crutch for this team now and going forward.
It's too bad because Nurse was still a pretty good player (regular season) up until last year when the wheels fell off. I don't know what this player is anymore and he's not getting any younger. I fully believe that the Oilers win at least one Cup already if that contract wasn't on the books. Not only $9.25m clogging up the cap but he's actually been negative value even at zero dollars the last few playoff runs, he's been THAT bad.

It's funny because you'd think that he would have improved with the Ekholm addition lessening the load and instead he's regressed into a shell of what he was because of pouting with less minutes? Personal stuff?
I don't know, maybe natural regression? I don't know what it is but he's barely a $4m player at this point.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
They could still win the Cup but that game did nothing to quell the concerns about the defense.

Again, they could come out and blow the doors off the Hawks and it wouldn't surprise me. But lose to that team and maybe it's time to worry.
I agree but I am just stating people are again grossly overreacting off 1 game, the team at times last year looked awful too, and nearly won the cup..it's too early to make many of these statements based off 1 game. The D is a concern no doubt, as is the lack of speed and youth. I'd add goaltending to that list.

The campbell contract and Nurse's deal were big time screwups that really hampered this teams ability to acquire talent.

Reactions: TB12 and Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

I'm not missing Ceci. For that money you can get a D. Nurse contract can't be over fast enough. Its by now blatantly clear he has no intention to do anything but collect money. I doubt he's even embarrassed glancing at Bouchard and what a player he's become, or Ekholm who is the D leader on this team that Nurse is supposed to be, with his payscale. Is that thing going to eat Nurses face? Its getting worse.

I watched the blob movie as a kid so its freaking me out.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Your right. That was last year. Like I said, it has nothing to do with last night. Oh, and they have every chance to still have home ice this year.

Dee Dee, every team loses games during the season. I choose not to bele8 e that h9me ce has been lost because of a disappointing loss last night.

Can’t you figure it out?
Are you drunk?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

Dee Dee, every team loses games during the season. I choose not to bele8 e that h9me ce has been lost because of a disappointing loss last night.

Can’t you figure it out?
HD needs a snickers bar. Can't you figure it out? ;)

Reactions: brentashton

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I thought last year was about as bad a start as you could have. Appears I was wrong. Got embarrassed at home this time and failed to even come close to scoring a goal. This years edition looked listless throughout the pre-season, and it has carried right through to the regular season. Hopefully it's just the game 7 final loss depression that they need to get over and now that the stinker is out of the way, they can re-focus and energize, and not wait till 15 games of the season have passed.

At first viewing, it would seem one of our 2 new defence additions should be playing on the farm, and the other in Switzerland. Nurse continues to be Nurse. And Skinner did his now annual bed shitting to start the year. Not sure where Knob's head was, but he should have been pulled after the first period, if nothing else to give the team a message. Clearly fighting it and not tracking the puck well at all.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Find a goalie upgrade. Never trusted Skinner. The team carries him. Oh, a #4D too

Oilers are that kid who does his homework last minute. Just what they are. No urgency.

Your parent is your last line of defense if they look over your work.

Skinner is supposed to be their parent, but the parent is missing
Well said. Unfortunately we won’t find that goalie. Just seems to be what it is

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I'm not missing Ceci. For that money you can get a D. Nurse contract can't be over fast enough. Its by now blatantly clear he has no intention to do anything but collect money. I doubt he's even embarrassed glancing at Bouchard and what a player he's become, or Ekholm who is the D leader on this team that Nurse is supposed to be, with his payscale. Is that thing going to eat Nurses face? Its getting worse.

Unfortunately that's gonna be a long ass time. We're pretty much stuck with the boat anchor and his atrocious contract (thanks Holland!) Just amazes me that Nurse who's in his 10th NHL season still needs a defensive partner on his pairing to babysit his ass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad