Post-Game Talk: Oilers dig a self-inflicted grave

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
Florida also stole away Sylvain Rodrigue, the only competent goalie coach the oilers had.
Ian Clark basically changed his role in Vancouver and he isn't happy. Oilers should poach him.

Don't know if he could do anything with Skinner though

Oilers just haven't ever taken goaltending seriously since we drafted McDavid

Reactions: foshizzle

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Check out the goal simulations on NHL.com

Gonna lean on this all season.

Goal 1: check out 97 and 93 already starting to push up to fly the zone before we acquire the puck. Dermott got schooled in the crease.

Goal 2: Emberson way out of position, but where’s the first forward back to cover for Nurse’s pinch? 97 was there but pushed up.

Goal 3: Emberson followed the puck around the boards, putting him and Nurse out of position, but look at 29 and 92 giving up on the play and letting their man in uncovered.

Goal 4: Decent coverage but 53 had to come all the way across the ice from behind the net to try and cover the shooter cause Leon floated back super slow.

Goal 5: Good coverage in the crease but 93 and 10 chasing the puck and playing like a PK rather than taking a man.

Goal 6: 19 made a bad effort to “deny the zone” and 33 overpursued the puck carrier and left both trailers wide open.

Yeah goaltending wasn’t great and both Emberson and Dermott didn’t gave great debuts but as usual forwards aren’t doing their job in our end, and it’s the leadership core that are often the worst offenders.

Also it sounds like this data is scrapable, so finally we can see some data on player and puck tracking and stop relying on shots for everything like it’s the Stone Age.

Also very telling that these seem to be one shot sorties, so it’s not like they ground down our team defense, we just gave up.

Echodek

Feb 6, 2011
It is a mystery why this team continues to go into every season without having addressed any of its weaknesses. We all know the definition of insanity right? Continually doing the same things hoping for a different result. Well, this organization is mental. Even listening to the pundits (Stauffer) talking about how the team will address what it needs at the deadline. At the deadline?! AT THE DEADLINE?!! How about addressing those needs in the off-season so that this team goes into the new year having addressed those weak areas. Insanity.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I hope Knoblauch sends a message by dropping two skaters for the two healthy scratches. These guys always start out the season like they're comfortable with their spot in the lineup.

I really think they need Gulatzan losing his mind and tossing a stick into the upper deck like he did in Calgary. Send a message. :nod:

Seriously though they honestly should do what you suggest.

My biggest fear is after more than 50 playoff games in the past 3 years and a very short summer after a crushing Game 7 defeat that this team is mentally and physically still tired. They had zero jump in the preseason and nary an ounce of it last night.

This weekend will be a big tell.

Oh and S Skinner simply cannot start slow like he did last season. (Not that he was the sole reason we lost last night)

Reactions: ConnorNova0929

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Podkolzin was the best forward.

The Jets moved a lot as a 4 man unit, and the Oil couldn't handle it. Assignments, handoffs, and who had what were all a hot mess.

Podz was noticeable in a good for the most part way, except for the 3rd goal where he lost his man. The 3rd line was probably their best, as they just kept things moving in the right direction without any WTF moments.

Still for the bottom 6. I'd like to reverse Podz and Janmark and get Philp in for Ryan. Lavoie can tag team with Perry until someone in the top 9 gets injured or benched.

Podkolzin-Henrique-Brown
Janmark-Philp-Perry/Lavoie

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
WTF happened between Calgary and Vancouver tonight?
Van did what they did all year. Came out guns blazing, pps galore, high shooting %. Then they just tuck their tail and can barely get a shot on net lol

Then they get that horseshoe last min goal to get a point out of it

Color me crazy but a 30 game rookie playing 2RD paired with a partner whose brain goes blank at inopportune times is not a good idea.
The most hilarious part with nurse is when he had all day to get the puck out. Nobody in the screen

He then decided to skate behind the net and bomb a close pass to emberson when a jet was coming lol

I was so floored wondering what he was thinking.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Look at the history. The Oilers most of the time bail him out when we win. Just look at his playoff stats as well
They had 60 minutes to manage one and they couldn't even do that. I understand that the Jets are no defensive slouches but when you score as many goals as your goalie did, well....

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
I really think they need Gulatzan losing his mind and tossing a stick into the upper deck like he did in Calgary. Send a message. :nod:

Seriously though they honestly should do what you suggest.

My biggest fear is after more than 50 playoff games in the past 3 years and a very short summer after a crushing Game 7 defeat that this team is mentally and physically still tired. They had zero jump in the preseason and nary an ounce of it last night.

This weekend will be a big tell.

Oh and S Skinner simply cannot start slow like he did last season. (Not that he was the sole reason we lost last night)
Mentally tired, sure, but they aren't physically. They're professional athletes.

The Panthers played more than them the last 2 years and they came out with plenty of jump.

It's not even mental fatigue as much as some kind of immaturity, it seems. If they hadn't spent the last 3 years showing that there are times they just don't care, I'd agree about being physically tired, but history shows just where their heads are a lot of the time.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
These posts are tiring.

The way this team treated preseason bled into last night. It must be corrected sooner than later.

Had we had home ice advantage for the final last season we probably win the cup.
keep telling yourself that... must be tiring constantly screaming on the same ride day after day after day when they have played one game that counts in months.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
It is a mystery why this team continues to go into every season without having addressed any of its weaknesses.

No mystery it is salary cap. Every team in the league has weaknesses, and the salary cap hampers them all from fixing every problem.

The answer, and this is for every competing team, is you need guys punching above their salary cap weight. That is largely why Edmonton has been a force for a few years. Once new contracts kick in for Drasiatl, Bouchard, McDavid, these issues become even harder to fix (unless the cap goes up a tonne).

And because this is the same for every team, no one wants to get rid of the players producing above their pay grade, nor want to take on players producing below.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
keep telling yourself that... must be tiring constantly screaming on the same ride day after day after day when they have played one game that counts in months.
You can't tell me it isn't at least somewhat alarming that one team was ready for the start of the season and one wasn't.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
It's a dumb analogy. But whatever.

If the venting and concern drives you nuts, like you say, you should just take a break from the forum until the team turns it around. It will be better for your mental health.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
I think this is one of the reasons they weren't able to win the cup and fell down three games so bad. They just couldn't get ready until its panic mode.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Check out the goal simulations on NHL.com

Gonna lean on this all season.

Goal 1: check out 97 and 93 already starting to push up to fly the zone before we acquire the puck. Dermott got schooled in the crease.

Goal 2: Emberson way out of position, but where’s the first forward back to cover for Nurse’s pinch? 97 was there but pushed up.

Goal 3: Emberson followed the puck around the boards, putting him and Nurse out of position, but look at 29 and 92 giving up on the play and letting their man in uncovered.

Goal 4: Decent coverage but 53 had to come all the way across the ice from behind the net to try and cover the shooter cause Leon floated back super slow.

Goal 5: Good coverage in the crease but 93 and 10 chasing the puck and playing like a PK rather than taking a man.

Goal 6: 19 made a bad effort to “deny the zone” and 33 overpursued the puck carrier and left both trailers wide open.

Yeah goaltending wasn’t great and both Emberson and Dermott didn’t gave great debuts but as usual forwards aren’t doing their job in our end, and it’s the leadership core that are often the worst offenders.

Also it sounds like this data is scrapable, so finally we can see some data on player and puck tracking and stop relying on shots for everything like it’s the Stone Age.

Also very telling that these seem to be one shot sorties, so it’s not like they ground down our team defense, we just gave up.

Agreed on all except the first, McDavid bumped it to RNH which was the right play. The issue was RNH choosing to dust the puck off instead of quickly wiring it over to Hyman who was releasing up the RW wall.

That goal had 3 major F' ups.
1) with Nuge holding the puck and then getting knocked off it,
2) Dermott getting bullied by Lowry for the rebound,
and 3) Skinner losing track of the puck, and not staying ready for a shot with the puck only 2 meters away.

Reactions: russ99

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Yeah do not get it. Its almost as if the players on the team who spoke glowingly about Ceci knew something about hockey that HFBoard posters do not ......
Do people actually think having Ceci would have made the difference last night? Lmao

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Well the positive thing is that we don’t play Winnipeg again until March 20. Won’t be back to back losses to the same Canadian team this year, unlike last year’s double ass kicking from VanCity.

Find the positive people!!

Reactions: MoontoScott

tfwnogf

Dec 15, 2013
Meh. Jets had something to prove after getting buttblasted in playoffs vs the Avs. Nowhere to go but up :cool:

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
But of note tonight we were playing another of the oldest teams in the league. Watch out how slow we look when we play one of the younger speedier teams. Jets were pretty awful tonight, and their top lines were, and they weren't even sharp in getting out of zone, and didn't even have to be. It was a poorly played game, just that the Oilers were abysmal. The shot clock won't show that but the Jets were granted open areas around net and scoring areas so many times in this one. I mean one minute into the season we give up a breakaway.

5-0 in the third period and he's trying to pump up the crowd and make something happen. heres a memo. Take the mascot out of there in a game thats a slaughter. It almost annoyed me. Whats he jumping up and down celebrating...;)

At least there wasn't a wave. That would've completed the inanity.
You have to wonder what the person underneath the costume is thinking when it’s a blowout like that. I think it’s along the line of “f%#k my life”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad