Confirmed Signing with Link: Oilers decline to match offer sheets for Broberg and Holloway

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
We don't know the inner workings but their poor handling during their development didn't help get them signed, especially when you show them how valuable they are by using all your cap space on..

Jeff Skinner, Arvidsson, Henrique, Janmark, Brown, Brown, Carrick, Perry, Pickard. How does a player feel when the organization says...well, now that we signed these 9 guys you have to take a discount to stay.

The Oilers may have made the right decision on them, but that is like making the decision to go to the hospital after you shoot yourself in the foot.

As an Oiler fan we have sucked at development for at least 20 years now. Hopefully it gets better.
No one asked them to take a discount. Holloway is a 1-1.5 million dollar player. Broberg is a 1-2 million dollar player.

Reactions: PuckG and TKB21

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Just awful asset management by the Oilers. They signed Perry, Skinner, and Ardvisson before locking up their RFAs.

Next year they are in cap hell again, I would not be surprised if a team throws a brinks truck at Bouch.

Letting two 1st rounders go this way and their cupboard is pretty bare, they better win soon. Thier window is closing rapidly. What a waste of CM and LD.
try not to overreact in your next posts OK? THE SKY IS FALLING!! They'll get Bouch signed.

• Haha
Reactions: Habby4Life

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Writing’s on the wall for this Oilers group after their summer. Old team, zero help on the way, almost no assets available, and the three marquee players all up for an extension soon.
and you Oiler bashers are more up in arms then Oilers fans LOL

They also added two top six wingers this offseason... "no help" my ass.
Its funny how these guys act in here. If Oilers matched both offers its"Bowman is a f***in idiot for signing a dman and foward to almost 6.9 million and are now in cap hell" They dont match and its "well this is just mismanagement" :laugh:

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Did u even take a look as to what I responded too ?

Yes you win ! Want a cookie ?

Did you even take a look at the post i was responding too ? Guessing not

I have a problem with someone saying they use facts, then evidencing that they don’t. It may seem trivial, but given the destruction of what constitutes “truth” in modern days- I don’t like that shit. Especially when it’s stated so bluntly- “I use facts and you don’t! Uh, produce the facts, you say? Oh man, um Google, evade, attack! I’m not here to teach you! Everyone can find the same facts I’m referencing and yet can’t produce!”

#facts.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Have to ask, what is this based off of?

This isn’t a situation of the Oilers choosing to let these two walk. This is a situation where they chose to add a boatload of veterans to fill needs and disregarded the potential that the team control of an RFA comes with the potential of offer sheets.

And that’s probably the right decision when your two best players are McDavid and Draisaitl.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
I have a problem with someone saying they use facts, then evidencing that they don’t. It may seem trivial, but given the destruction of what constitutes “truth” in modern days- I don’t like that shit. Especially when it’s stated so bluntly- “I use facts and you don’t! Uh, produce the facts, you say? Oh man, um Google, evade, attack! I’m not here to teach you! Everyone can find the same facts I’m referencing and yet can’t produce!”

#facts.
When did i state using facts ? Someone replied to a post i made saying ill never witness another championship and i replied still 2 more than you . Show me where i claim to state facts and what that has to do with you hating these type of arguments ? Maybe i should have just ignored him entirely .

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
And that’s probably the right decision when your two best players are McDavid and Draisaitl.

I don’t disagree. They don’t have time to wait around. They need to be as competitive as possible. I think they went a bit overboard with adding Skinner but that’s a good gamble to take. My only concern for their team is their defense. Not sure how they fix that. But something will likely happen

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Now I'm not saying this to be provocative so spare me the pearl clutching responses here please, no ill intentions. Drai seems really lazy to me when I watch him play. Now let me say that I don't see the larger body of work where he piles up oodles of points so I'm not trying to project off a small sample size here but every time I watch him it seems like his effort is really terrible. I watched him trip Rob Thom 3 times in the same game and got called for 2 of them. Really, really lazy stick infractions that had me going 'WTF is this guys problem? Are his feet broken or something?'. Anyway just thought I'd lob that out there and see if anyone else gets that same feeling watching him play, especially Edmonton fans. Guys what am I missing here? I get the points are there in a big way, raw production is great. But does he leave you thinking that you got his best? Ok, thanks for taking my call I'll hang up and listen.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I think that it was the right move not to match, if those player sign the offer sheet they understood what they were doing. Skinner and Arvidsson or the sub 2M$ player I can understand, but if these guys were part of your future why did you sign a guy like Henrique first?

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Now I'm not saying this to be provocative so spare me the pearl clutching responses here please, no ill intentions. Drai seems really lazy to me when I watch him play. Now let me say that I don't see the larger body of work where he piles up oodles of points so I'm not trying to project off a small sample size here but every time I watch him it seems like his effort is really terrible. I watched him trip Rob Thom 3 times in the same game and got called for 2 of them. Really, really lazy stick infractions that had me going 'WTF is this guys problem? Are his feet broken or something?'. Anyway just thought I'd lob that out there and see if anyone else gets that same feeling watching him play, especially Edmonton fans. Guys what am I missing here? I get the points are there in a big way, raw production is great. But does he leave you thinking that you got his best? Ok, thanks for taking my call I'll hang up and listen.

Oil fan here. Can’t argue with your assessment, and I absolutely remember the game you’re mentioning where he took 2 horrible, lazy penalties on Thomas. I think there’s about 5 games a year I’m left swearing at the TV saying “we gotta trade this lazy prick.” But then there’s 20 games a year where I’m swearing at the TV saying “how the f*** did he score from that angle???”

You take the good with the bad, but the good outweighs the bad by an insanely large margin. Also, he rarely pulls the lazy antics in the playoffs.

Reactions: TK 421

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Oil fan here. Can’t argue with your assessment, and I absolutely remember the game you’re mentioning where he took 2 horrible, lazy penalties on Thomas. I think there’s about 5 games a year I’m left swearing at the TV saying “we gotta trade this lazy prick.” But then there’s 20 games a year where I’m swearing at the TV saying “how the f*** did he score from that angle???”

You take the good with the bad, but the good outweighs the bad by an insanely large margin. Also, he rarely pulls the lazy antics in the playoffs.

Yeah I figured it was probably similar to Brett Hull where you'll see the casual approach and it's off putting but the production is so good you're willing to look past it. I get it for sure and no judgement because I loved Hull but they can leave you really pissed at their effort at times.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
No one, including the Oilers, know how well Holloway and Broberg will develop. No one can see the future.

I'm sure the Oilers know only too well what these two are worth at present as far as whether they are worth the value of their new contracts and whether at present the Oilers feel their production last year merits an overpay.

What the Oilers know for sure, however, is what kind of human beings these two are and whether they want them in their locker room for years to come. This they know far better than the Blues do.
This is a POS take, insinuating that the reason the Oilers declined to match is because of the character of the players and the type of humans they are; instead of realizing the obvious, that the Oilers simply didn’t have the cap space to make it work, you suggest that Holloway and Broberg are flawed people. Try to make yourself feel better though, even if it means denigrating others with no evidence.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
No one, including the Oilers, know how well Holloway and Broberg will develop. No one can see the future.

I'm sure the Oilers know only too well what these two are worth at present as far as whether they are worth the value of their new contracts and whether at present the Oilers feel their production last year merits an overpay.

What the Oilers know for sure, however, is what kind of human beings these two are and whether they want them in their locker room for years to come. This they know far better than the Blues do.
Huge reach. No, you really can’t tell what someone will be like in the locker room for “years to come” when they are this young and inexperienced.

Next, there have been zero reports of locker room issues. Since that’s what you’re insinuating, provide a source for it. Otherwise, your argument sucks.

FriarChill

Jan 31, 2023
Vienna
I think the oilers made the right choice by not matching. There is just no way you want/expect/hope McDrai and Bouch to sign team friendly deals when you pay almost 7 mil for Holloway and Broberg. Let Kane heal up on IR and get him healthy for the playoffs. There will be more than enough cap space to get 1 or 2 defenders at the trade deadline. It also doesn't really matter how good their defense is in april. Games that really matter won't start for another 8 months for the oilers. This roster is still easily one of the best in the West.

The real winners of those two offersheets might be all upcoming RFA/UFA on St. Louis roster (and their agents). Their asking price on a new contract extension might be 1-2 mil higher now after seeing what the GM is willing to pay for players like Holloway and Broberg imo.

Last edited:

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
lol stole? Blues are paying almost 7 mil for 81 games and 13 points of Broberg and 89 games and 18 points from Holloway...hardly a "steal" :laugh:

if Bowman signed them to these contracts, everyone would be laughing at the Oilers for these ridiculous deals

(for the record, I wanted to keep Broberg)

Holloway was one of Edmonton most noticeable players in the playoffs last year. Your stars, aside from McDavid, were complete ghosts. It didn't even seem like rnh played.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
There have been cap management issues, we won't argue there. Thankfully Brown's bonus is only one the books for one year, and Neal's is almost up. Unfortunately, we have dead space from Campbell for the next 4 years (next year's increased penalty on Campbell eats most of what would have come off the books from the Neal deal), and yes, Nurse costs us at best 1-2M, and when he is playing bad, he isn't worth half of that contract, which offsets some savings. But if you add up the bad deals vs the team friendly ones, it actually balances out.

Bad contract negative values
Neal buyout - 1.9
Campbell buyout - 1.1 this year
Nurse - for argument's sake, we'll say 4M in the negative
Bonuses from last year - 3.55M
Total - A disgusting 10.5M in wasted money

Steals
Draisaitl - let's be conservative and say we are saving 3M on what he should be paid.
Bouchard - at least 5M below what he is producing
Hyman - probably 3M below what he should be making, assuming he doesn't score 50 again.
McDavid - probably 2M below what he should be making
Skinner - let's say 2M savings to be conservative.
Total - 15M

So it all comes out as a wash in the end. Edmonton is actually ahead of the game a bit. But it still sucks, because with those value contracts, we should be a dynasty. Can you imagine what else Edmonton would be able to add with an additional 10M in salary? Ugh. It also sucks because 4 of those 5 value contracts are due for raises in the next two seasons. Bouchard and Draisaitl, big ones for sure. Double ugh.

this is not how it works.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
If true, well f***ing played Armstrong. Masterclass on how to weaponize our cap space. Low risk, extremely high reward from the Blues perspective
Extremely is high reward is a bit excessive when talking about the two oilers prospects.

Neither has been very good at all

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
this is not how it works.
Draisaitl - people questioned that contract when it was signed, was not a steal originally
Hyman - league value, not a steal
Skinner - also not a steal when he got essentially what other teams were also offering

I don’t think some people understand the difference between what a steal is and what exceeding/out performing is.

McDavid is a steal of a contract, he could have signed for more.

Hyman/Draisaitl have exceeded and out performed their contracts but they were not steals.

Last edited by a moderator:

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Extremely is high reward is a bit excessive when talking about the two oilers prospects.

Neither has been very good at all
Seems more like a low risk with a low to medium reward. Traded draft picks for two NHL ready prospects.

Gives St Louis some warm bodies that may or may not turn into something instead of rushing prospects when the team isn’t in a competitive window. Neither deserve those contracts but St Louis had cap space to burn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad