Confirmed Signing with Link: Oilers decline to match offer sheets for Broberg and Holloway

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
yeah, that's what happens when you're near the top of the league for several seasons

either way, Matt Savoie would be a top 2 prospect on the Flames lol
It also happens when the team is terrible at drafting in rounds other than the 1st.
Matt Sovoie, who you didn't draft btw, will likely turn out to be a god one but once again Oilers mgmt spends all its time in the pumping up the upper body and neglecting those legs (defence).

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
He’s been overpaid and underperforming that contract ever since he got to Carolina. Literally nothing of value was lost by the Habs. And people act like it’s some must to match overpay offersheets and there’s no other choice.

I agree - the Pearl-clutching surrounding offer sheets is wildly overblown, and the Habs aren’t any worse off without JK.

I also think JK is a reliable if offensively limited centre. $4M and change for a deal that expires before he’s 30 is fine.

I expect we will see more teams attempting to poach cheap young talent from capped-out contenders.

15 teams are over or within $1M of the salary cap, and 13 teams have $5M or more.

Look at Philly for example - Morgan Frost and Cam York need new deals, and the Flyers are almost a million over.

A team needing a young top-4 D or top-9 could probably do a lot worse than one of these guys on a 2 year $7M deal, and the Flyers would be hard pressed to match.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Actually I have and posted as such in the oilers board. If there was no room for broberg on his preferred side, why not trade him. BUT that management doesn’t work for the oilers anymore.

Yes, this isn’t on Bowman but I don’t see how anyone can spin that losing these two guys this way is anything but poor asset management.

Armstrong had his way with the Oilers.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Actually I have and posted as such in the oilers board. If there was no room for broberg on his preferred side, why not trade him. BUT that management doesn’t work for the oilers anymore.
I was pushing to trade Broberg as soon as the season ended. He should have been packaged for a true RD. I never like playing guys on their off side.

In a vacuum I suppose if we broke down the offer sheets like trades and broke it down as:

Broberg for 2nd and Paul Fischer
Holloway for 2 3rds

It's not the end of the world. It's shit value and clearly the Oilers threatened to match to put the Blues back against the wall a little bit and extract some more value, but it's still irritating.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Yes, this isn’t on Bowman but I don’t see how anyone can spin that losing these two guys this way is anything but poor asset management.

Is anyone doing that?

I’m happy to walk because it was the right decision. These guys haven’t shown their worth. St. Louis forced thier hand, but bowman made the right choice.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Yeah, and this is just me playing amateur psychologist/sociogist. There's taking a discount to keep a team together, if you have that connection, and then there's eschewing taking the big bucks, which was Broberg's dilemma here. Maybe because I'm older and worried more about whatever legacy I have in the career I'm in now I'm thinking this way. I suppose when you're 23 you think you're going to be young forever and have every opportunity come your way, but the NHL graveyard is full of guys who played long careers and didn't get their name on the mug. In a 32-team league, those chances are actually pretty rare.

On the other hand, a squirrel's gotta fill its cheeks with acorns when it's summer, so you maybe you can't turn down the big cheque when it comes either.

I make no moral argument either way. I'm just musing over the mindset.

Of course if they took cheap deals, they also become prime trade chips. There's a good chance they take less and end up getting shipped off to a bottom feeder for an impact piece before they get to win a Cup, in which case they have the worst of both worlds ... essentially taking less money to go play for a bad team.

Or they sign cheap and never win even if they stay, but in smaller roles don't get enough opportunity to showcase on a contender, and two years from now they're still unable to score a big deal. They might very well be sacrificing generational wealth that they could have had in that instance.

Also the NHL graveyard is even more full of guys who showed some bit of promise, got a 2nd contract, and a couple years later were out of the league. There is a nonzero chance that this would be the last contract either guy signs in the NHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Memento

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

There was some bad asset management for sure. If Broberg didn't play the last 2 games of the regular season, eh wouldn't have been offer sheet eligible, and none of this happens. I don't believe Holloway would have been offer sheeted if Broberg wasn't available, as I think he was included primarily to make it harder to match Broberg.

I was pushing to trade Broberg as soon as the season ended. He should have been packaged for a true RD. I never like playing guys on their off side.

In a vacuum I suppose if we broke down the offer sheets like trades and broke it down as:

Broberg for 2nd and Paul Fischer
Holloway for 2 3rds

It's not the end of the world. It's shit value and clearly the Oilers threatened to match to put the Blues back against the wall a little bit and extract some more value, but it's still irritating.
There were some good RD rumored to be available earlier this summer. When Nashville was looking for cap space, Dante Fabbro's name came up regularly. I don't know if he was actually available, but if he was, Broberg+ for Fabbro, and the Ceci - Emberson deal from San Jose would have been better than having Emberson and draft picks.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
We don't know what was really available for Broberg either. There are rumours that we could have had Buchnevich at the deadline, but I'm not sure if that's true as St. Louis management said he was never really available (which could be hogwash too of course). We don't know who wanted to trade for him this summer - if Edmonton had offers from the three rumored teams to have talked to Broberg about offer sheets, we still don't know what the ask was from those teams. Obviously the Blues were okay overpaying him and paying a 2nd rather than paying whatever Edmonton's asking price was, if they inquired about trades.

I wonder if trading Broberg wasn't the plan all along, they were just waiting and hoping for a better trade offer to come in.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I think this was just a perfect storm situation for the Blues to take advantage of but I hope more GM’s start doing this. I think it could be a good way to get more player movement amongst these young rfa’s who could be better on other teams but their current team is reluctant to let them go early but also are unsure if they could live up to an inflated cap hit.

I also see the potential for good teams to poach high end young players from bad or rebuilding teams instead of spending those cap dollars on UFA’s.

As an example, a top 5 pick is coming off his elc and has had some decent years but on a rebuilding team there isn’t as much talent to play with and they’ve been doing quite a bit of losing. If teams start using offer sheets more frequently then rfa’s are going to be increasingly less likely to sign an extension before getting to July 1 to see what options are out there. Let’s say a team like the Oilers comes along and says to another teams rfa, hey we think you could really explode playing with mcdavid and or Draisaitl we want you sign an offer sheet. A cap hit of 6.87M would return a 1st and 3rd which would likely be late ones from a good team, not a bad price for a top end young player. Then you structure the deal as a bridge either taking the player right to UFA or taking them to arb eligible and structure it so the QO is as high as possible. Player signs the offer sheet then goes to his current team and says you can match but I really don’t want to play for your team.

So what does the current team do in that situation? Do you sign a player who doesn’t want to play for your team to a cap hit likely higher than you want to pay on a contract that’s has an unfavourable structure and term?

From the players point of view, he’s forcing his way out of a losing situation and onto a competitive team with talent and setting himself up for a big pay day on his next contract.

From the offersheeting team, they’re getting a top young player for cap dollars they would have been spending on ufa contracts that likely won’t age well. They get a high end cost controlled talent for a few seasons likely during their window and in the case of a 2-3 year deal they still control the asset at the end and if they couldn’t extend him again they could likely parlay him into additional assets by dealing him.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
I'm glad you did the 5 second Google search Rubi. That must give you all the info you need for the discourse on another team's prospects. Besides Savoie, I guarantee you knew nothing of the other names on this incomplete list.

eye-roll-robert-downey-jr.gif

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
It also happens when the team is terrible at drafting in rounds other than the 1st.
Matt Sovoie, who you didn't draft btw, will likely turn out to be a god one but once again Oilers mgmt spends all its time in the pumping up the upper body and neglecting those legs (defence).
we literally traded a player we drafted in the 2nd round for Matt Savoie

our starting goalie is from the 3rd round
Desharmais is a 7th rounder
John Marino was a 6th rounder, heck Caleb Jones is still bouncing around and he was 4th rounder
so no, it 's not "terrible"

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
No one, including the Oilers, know how well Holloway and Broberg will develop. No one can see the future.

I'm sure the Oilers know only too well what these two are worth at present as far as whether they are worth the value of their new contracts and whether at present the Oilers feel their production last year merits an overpay.

What the Oilers know for sure, however, is what kind of human beings these two are and whether they want them in their locker room for years to come. This they know far better than the Blues do.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

we literally traded a player we drafted in the 2nd round for Matt Savoie

our starting goalie is from the 3rd round
Desharmais is a 7th rounder
John Marino was a 6th rounder, heck Caleb Jones is still bouncing around and he was 4th rounder
so no, it 's not "terrible"
Ya... its been terrible. You can polish that turd all you want but the stink is still there.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
This certainly isn't the end of the world for the Oilers. They shouldn't be paying THAT (combined) much for those two in the next two years. That said, the majority of cup teams have young guys who are outperforming their contracts. I look at their current roster and don't see any solid "deals", I only see market-value guys, with the minor exception in Jeff Skinner.

Their current roster should be MORE than enough to make the playoffs. They should be putting the work into dump cap and accrue space and picks for the TDL. Adding a top 4 dman and a bottom 6 depth player should be their aim and given recent TDL prices, I think they have what it takes to do it.
Bouchard.
Hyman.
RNH.
Arvidsson.
Skinner.
Henrique.

I see lots of guys with contracts under market value.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I'll give you Hyman. And possible Bouchard.

The rest are market value.
there are credible reports that RNH could have gotten north of 7 million on the open market. He chose to stay here for less. He's a value deal.

Stuart Skinner makes 2.6 million. That's a value deal.

Leon Draisaitl makes 8.5 million for the moment. That's a value deal.

Connor McDavid at 12.5 is STILL a value deal.

"possible" Bouchard - dude finished in top 5 for Norris votes, was point per game, and had a fantastic playoffs.

For the time being, he's a massive value deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad