Confirmed Signing with Link: Oilers decline to match offer sheets for Broberg and Holloway

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
The point is they allowed for this to happen, ffs. If the mgt was a little competent they would have locked them up months ago or moved them for a better return and none of this would have happened.

You actually saying losing these two guys is a good thing or a good management of assets, lol.
Ah yes. Management should have locked up a guy who wanted out and whose strategy was wait for the summer and seek an offer sheet.

Reactions: North Cole

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Hockeys a business.. I don't care where I'm working if someone offers me a 300 percent increase from what my current employer offered .. I'm willing to move haha
Yeah, and this is just me playing amateur psychologist/sociogist. There's taking a discount to keep a team together, if you have that connection, and then there's eschewing taking the big bucks, which was Broberg's dilemma here. Maybe because I'm older and worried more about whatever legacy I have in the career I'm in now I'm thinking this way. I suppose when you're 23 you think you're going to be young forever and have every opportunity come your way, but the NHL graveyard is full of guys who played long careers and didn't get their name on the mug. In a 32-team league, those chances are actually pretty rare.

On the other hand, a squirrel's gotta fill its cheeks with acorns when it's summer, so you maybe you can't turn down the big cheque when it comes either.

I make no moral argument either way. I'm just musing over the mindset.

Reactions: tkb81

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Doug Armstrong disagrees with you. I think, in a couple of years, you will regret trying to lowball both players and then letting them walk while you wasted money on a player like Corey Perry.
Over paying for 2 years was the cost of doing business for Armstrong. I imagine he's quite happy the way things went down. StL just got stronger and cost was acceptable. Edmonton is now weaker.
St Louis is not a serious threat to win the cup. If they were they wouldn’t have that money to throw around on completely unproven players.

It hurts Edmonton in the long term 100% but these players are not impact players currently. This has little to no impact on Edmonton this year.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Debbie Downer? Unlike yourself, McJedi isn't an Oilers fanboy. Its not his job to take part in one of the Oilers numerous CJ's.
Seriously, the dude has been non-stop bitching and moaning 🤣. Nice to know he has a fanboy in you Rubi. Plus, it shouldn't be a shock that I'm an Oiler's fan...am I a fanboy of my team? You betcha. You can still be critical of the team of course, but there's a reason we rarely ever see McJedi over on the HF Oil board. Some posters simply will never be happy.

westc2

Nov 2, 2015
St. Louis, MO
Odd vibe to play to, considering Steen and Sundquist are also the only Swedes around the team. And Edmonton has a decent collection with Ekholm, Janmark, and now Arvidsson.

Still I do get the feeling Broberg never felt particularly connected to the Oilers (see last year's trade request), and he just got over 9mil guaranteed. I don't think he's looking longingly in the rearview mirror.

Imo Holloway was caught off guard though, as I think he viewed it as a negotiating tactic to force more from Edmonton.

The Blues have several Swedish prospects coming up and they just made Alex Steen, who is Swedish (but Canadian-born), the assistant GM, on track to be the next GM in 2 years.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
That's all right. They have plenty of others in the pipeline.

... oh wait... my bad.
Actually we do. Maybe, just maybe do some research before posting about other teams? So many fans of other teams posting sh1t about Edmonton and our prospect pool and our future like they have a freaking clue. We're not slagging your non-playoff teams or prospects or future, are we?. Just seems to be a whole bunch of salty-assed whiners who just can't be happy enough about their own team, so need to step on the heads of others in order to feel tall.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Horse trading with what? You may have the cap space, but you don't have the assets. If Dallas, Vegas, Colorado, Vancouver, Rangers, Florida, Tampa, Carolina, Nashville, etc offers a 1st for the RHD you want, why is team X going to accept your mid late 2nd for that player?
We have all 7 2026 picks including our 1st rd pick. And some of of those other contending teams have lost draft picks as well. It’s not like they are flush with picks. What also hampers a lot of teams is cap space. Something we know the Oilers will have plenty of at the TDL. Do you know that those teams will have that cap space too?

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
We'll have to see how things go right? The whole point is that we'll have the ability to actually have options, and can get some additional help. Not to mention we have our 1st for the year after, right? So moot point again on your part. Your posts are seriously insufferable. You need to change your name to McDebbieDowner.

200w.gif
TSN reporting any extension with Drai lives in the $14MMs.... how's that for a downer? Glad to see Drai now has access to take Broberg and Holloways money and put it ALL into his own pocket. Assume Bouchard's extension lives in the $10MMs.

FYI - the Oilers are my least favorite NHL team so thanks for the compliment! I was in Ft Lauderdale after game 7 and got to celebrate the Panthers victory and attend the victory celebration.

• Haha
Reactions: McBooya42

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Kotkaniemi is 23 years old.

He's played almost 400 NHL games at centre

In Montreal, he was a 0.36 PPG player.

In Carolina, he’s been a 0.43 PPG player, who took a step back following a career year.

It happens.

He will account for less than four percent of their cap within three years, and at the end of his deal he’ll be 29.

The idea that the Kotkaniemi signing is some sort of horrid blunder that Carolina Desperately needs to clear out is internet group think.
He’s been overpaid and underperforming that contract ever since he got to Carolina. Literally nothing of value was lost by the Habs. And people act like it’s some must to match overpay offersheets and there’s no other choice.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Actually we do. Maybe, just maybe do some research before posting about other teams?
Are you being serious? With a couple of exceptions, Edmonton has an awful prospect pool. Its been widely acknowledged to be one of the worst in the league. I know you are a biased Oiler fanboy but come on... stop trying to sell us swamp land in Florida.

Reactions: cptjeff

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
TSN reporting any extension with Drai lives in the $14MMs.... how's that for a downer?

FYI - the Oilers are my least favorite NHL team so thanks for the compliment!
TSN doesn't know squat. JJ has been running a tight ship, and no one knows anything (in case you didn't notice with the recent drama).

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
TSN reporting any extension with Drai lives in the $14MMs.... how's that for a downer? Glad to see Drai now has access to take Broberg and Holloways money and put it ALL into his own pocket.

FYI - the Oilers are my least favorite NHL team so thanks for the compliment!
for a guy who hates the Oilers, you sure love to talk about them a lot...
living rent free lol

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Are you being serious? With a couple of exceptions, Edmonton has an awful prospect pool. Its been widely acknowledged to be one of the worst in the league. I know you are a biased Oiler fanboy but come on... stop trying to sell us swamp land in Florida.
Do tell Rubi. Who's in our prospect pool?

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
I think the risk to reward was there.

They risked making their team marginally to a bit worse on paper for the chance of getting Broberg and Holloway on a cheap deal.

Oilers didn’t sit on their hands and overlook these players, they gambled that no one would offer sheet and lost, but were able to hedge their bet.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
yeah, that's what happens when you're near the top of the league for several seasons

either way, Matt Savoie would be a top 2 prospect on the Flames lol

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
St Louis is not a serious threat to win the cup. If they were they wouldn’t have that money to throw around on completely unproven players.

It hurts Edmonton in the long term 100% but these players are not impact players currently. This has little to no impact on Edmonton this year.
They also haven’t shown anything in their careers to make them worth their deals. It was 100% rational to walk from them.

Their benefits to oilers were that they were cost controlled, young and cheap. The offer sheet removed the cost control and cheap from the equation.

If the offer was say 4 years over 2 then you match Broberg, but it was 2 years. It screwed brobergs cost control. He won’t live up 4.5m in those two years.

I have zero issues with walking them. I’m happy we have a management that rationally considered all approaches and made the correct decision rather than just matching because “we drafted them”.

Reactions: iCanada

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Ya think so? With the Oilers drafting record, in rounds other than the 1st, it seems like a long shot to get a couple of replacement players equal to or better than former 1st round picks Broberg and Holloway.
Good luck though. Maybe things will change under Bowman and he'll gut the Oilers amateur scouting dept this year and make it into one worth a damn.
Or they trade those picks at the TDL because they are trying to win now not 5 years from now.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
for a guy who hates the Oilers, you sure love to talk about them a lot...
living rent free lol
Rent free? Do you guys even realize you lost the Stanley Cup finals? All I see are Oiler fans slobbering all over their win over Vancouver like that was the finals. Maybe the finals of southwestern Canada, but that doesn't mean anything to the rest of us.

Even 365 days from now... when the Rangers or Stars or Avs or Panthers are celebrating their 2025 Cup win... no one will even remember the Oilers were an oh so close also ran a few years prior.

At that point, we'll be thinking about the pending McDavid trade and how it will reshape the league. Debbie Downer alright.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Ah yes. Management should have locked up a guy who wanted out and whose strategy was wait for the summer and seek an offer sheet.
Ever heard of a trade lol, keep trying to polish the turd.

Oil fan trying to sell losing two top prospects for a 2 and two thirds is good asset management.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad