Confirmed Signing with Link: Oilers decline to match offer sheets for Broberg and Holloway

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
They still are RFAs once their current contracts end.

If they perform at the level they are signed to, their next contracts will be comparable or slightly more. Basically the Blues did what European leagues do and signed players based on future performance and not past.

And from the Blues perspective inflating their salary for 2 years doesn’t matter because they have the cap space and won’t be serious contenders again until right after their contracts expire.

That's totally fair for STL, but the value in the players doesn't fit the Oilers situation. Value on both at 2-3M is much different than nearly 7M on a team with cup aspirations. Last year we would have been lucky to get a 2nd in a trade for a cheap Broberg, now we got one for him at 4M+. Yes he showed well in playoffs (with an insane PDO mind you), but the money just doesn't work. Hopefully it works in STL.

Reactions: Memento

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
You’re capped as a depth piece. The he Blues aren’t the worst team in the NHL. They have a much better chance of becoming a top of the lineup player in STL than EDM and will most likely still have a decent chance at making the playoffs.

Not sure how accurate the reports are. But I thought I saw EDM was at like 1m x3 ok Holloway and under 1.5m for a couple years on Broberg. That’s a pretty significant anoint of cash for players who aren’t guaranteed a long career.
Now Edmonton has more money available to give to Drai and Bouchard when their agents put their demands on the table. And a worse roster to sell them for those future years.

What happens next is what happens to all NHL teams that see below market contracts expire. They get gutted of their depth and draft picks. And now you'll see how problematic injuries are because the roster will fall apart if an Ekholm or Hyman breaks a collar bone or needs a knee scoped.

Reactions: Artemi Panarin

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Writing’s on the wall for this Oilers group after their summer. Old team, zero help on the way, almost no assets available, and the three marquee players all up for an extension soon.
They also added two top six wingers this offseason... "no help" my ass.

Reactions: zar

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
I said from the beginning that if I was GM of the Oilers (and for Edmonton's sake it's a good thing I'm not) I'd have driven them both to the airport.

Good moves by the Oil brain trust to get under the cap.

And as for favourites for a long playoff run, way too early. As my old friend Wetcoaster use to say "It's a marathon not a sprint." Too many variables to make those kind of predictions.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Horse trading with what? You may have the cap space, but you don't have the assets. If Dallas, Vegas, Colorado, Vancouver, Rangers, Florida, Tampa, Carolina, Nashville, etc offers a 1st for the RHD you want, why is team X going to accept your mid late 2nd for that player?

Please don’t pop the fantasy land.

Two weeks ago if a Blues fan would have proposed P. Fischer, a 2nd and 2 thirds for Broberg, the Oiler fans would have had a dog pile and talked about his upside and required Dvo and Lindstein type return.

Two weeks later, he sucks and is toxic because he signed an offer sheet….

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
I agree. It's do or die now
Their window is closing. They are the oldest team in the league, have a very thin prospect pool, have traded away a lot of draft picks, and three huge contracts to take care.

it’s win now because in 3/4 yrs this team will be back at the bottom. With that D core they aren’t winning anything. It wasn’t very good last year but they did a remarkable job making it worse, lol. What a waste of CM and LD.

Last edited:

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Not sure why they concentrated on adding offense at the expense of the D and losing their two best young players/prospects.
There’s only so many spots to play with McDrai and there’s no room on the first PP.
If Kane isn’t healthy he’s probably a bigger loss than the players they added.
I think if they’d spent the money on a top 4 D plus a depth guy and locked up their two RFA’s at their reported asking prices they’d be much further ahead.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008

Two weeks ago if a Blues fan would have proposed P. Fischer, a 2nd and 2 thirds for Broberg, the Oiler fans would have had a dog pile and talked about his upside and required Dvo and Lindstein type return.

There is now way oiler fans can polish this turd. Armstrong bent the oilers over and had his way. He stole two of their best prospects for nothing.

Yes, now they both suck, it helps them cope, lol.

Shitty asset management by an incompetent GM and management team.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
There is now way oiler fans can polish this turd. Armstrong bent the oilers over and had his way. He stole two of their best prospects for nothing.

lol stole? Blues are paying almost 7 mil for 81 games and 13 points of Broberg and 89 games and 18 points from Holloway...hardly a "steal" :laugh:

if Bowman signed them to these contracts, everyone would be laughing at the Oilers for these ridiculous deals

(for the record, I wanted to keep Broberg)

Reactions: McBooya42

bolobow

May 3, 2006

Armstrong did bend them over and the Oilers totally messed up managing these players. But player evaluation is always relative to cap hit. As soon as they signed those offer sheets, their value plummeted.

Reactions: WhataKnight

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Not sure why they concentrated on adding offense at the expense of the D and losing their two best young players/prospects.
There’s only so many spots to play with McDrai and there’s no room on the first PP.
If Kane isn’t healthy he’s probably a bigger loss than the players they added.
I think if they’d spent the money on a top 4 D plus a depth guy and locked up their two RFA’s at their reported asking prices they’d be much further ahead.
Both Skinner and Arvidsson have been excellent 5v5 producers their entire careers and Kane has been dogshit the last two seasons.

The only losses on the back end are a guy that played 12 regular season games and a guy HF says is ass anyway.

Uninformed take.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

This would make sense if the salary cap didn't exist.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Writing’s on the wall for this Oilers group after their summer. Old team, zero help on the way, almost no assets available, and the three marquee players all up for an extension soon.
If it is, it’s been a great run, a lot of fun and we’re proud to have been the ones to send the Flames to the shadow realm.

One thing worse than whatever situation the Oilers is in: building that arena for whatever mediocrity the Flames will ice. :nod:

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
lol stole? Blues are paying almost 7 mil for 81 games and 13 points of Broberg and 89 games and 18 points from Holloway...hardly a "steal" :laugh:

if Bowman signed them to these contracts, everyone would be laughing at the Oilers for these ridiculous deals

(for the record, I wanted to keep Broberg)
Stole, yes. He gave up squat to get them.

If they Oil mgt were competent they would not have been there for the taking.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
First McLeod and now Holloway and Broberg. Oilers lose their three top young players. Definitely not good.

The McLeod trade was the only good one because i think they got a fair value asset back. In fact, Savoie is more valuable imo.

Holloway for a 3rd lol. Broberg for a 2nd and blah. Thats just awful.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
He did have the occasional good game but when the pressure was on and the team needed him to be great.. he usually wasn't. The Oilers stunning offense won most of those games... not Skinner for the most part.
Just admit that you don't have a clue about the other team's players and are only going off of the numbers you Googled for 5 minutes. It's ok to admit when you're wrong.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
The piece in The Athletic today has an interesting snippet about Broberg

Broberg wanted to be in St. Louis, mainly because of the new opportunity he’ll have, but also because he’s Swedish and the Blues have a Swedish GM-in-waiting in Alexander Steen.

I can get being a little homesick maybe and wanting familiarity around you, but that's a bit odd, in context. They were a game away from the Stanley Cup two months ago and remain favourites to go back to the big dance next spring. Does it say something about the team unity in Edmonton that they couldn't keep guys feeling connected?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad