Confirmed Signing with Link: Oilers decline to match offer sheets for Broberg and Holloway

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
That’s one way to look at the draft misstep that has quite literally cost your team a Stanley Cup.

Think that series maybe plays out different if Matthew Tkachuk is an Oiler and not a Panther?

Do you think the fortunes of your team for the first five or six years of McDavid’s career might have gone a little better if Matthew Tkachuk is your #1RW instead of Jesse Puljujarvi being a bubble NHLer?

Because I do.

And before you say he wouldn’t have signed in Edmonton, yes, he would have.

You guys wouldn’t have f***ed around and given him the 8 years he was asking for coming off his ELC.

Cost your city a championship.
No it didn't. Nothing happens in isolation, and many other things don't happen in reality if the Oilers made that pick. The timeline is always altered. Tkachuk was also mostly a no show in the cup final.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
The Oilers would have been able to negotiate a deal that was less than the offer sheet. Offer sheets are almost always overpayments. Once the offer sheets were put down, it was clearly a rock and a hard place. Prior to that the Oilers messed up their cap and negotiations to put themselves into that spot.
Sure, but teams do the exact same thing every off-season. In fact there's still many better RFAs available to be offer sheeted than the two the Oilers just lost. Maybe they were naive to think teams wouldn't offer sheet them, but generally RFAs get low-balled when they haven't put up more than 4th line numbers and haven't played a full season in the NHL

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Bro just name a stat he was #1 in. You’re the one invested in this argument, I’m just saying if it’s “facts”, provide one. Don’t tell me to google it, if it’s a fact you know share it.
I was invested in an argument with a poster who said Skinner only performs with run support and can’t perform in pressure games. You are not that poster. And I don’t really care to prove a point I already know to be true. If you are doubtful of what I said, it’s easy enough to look up.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I was invested in an argument with a poster who said Skinner only performs with run support and can’t perform in pressure games. You are not that poster. And I don’t really care to prove a point I already know to be true. If you are doubtful of what I said, it’s easy enough to look up.

Ain’t no facts backing your argument, got it.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
My point is Edmonton would have likely matched if they were offered that as offer sheets.

Edmonton low balled and the Blues took advantage of their cap situation.
Beoberg agents game was offer sheet courting. Broberg was never signing during the season or offseason until near camp

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Armstrong just had his way with the oiler organization, lol. Crafted both offers so they couldn’t match and they gave up squat.

Reactions: TheShape

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
- Holloway has Magnus Pääjärvi-Svensson written all over him. No loss!
- Broberg is just another Nick Stajduhar......
If you can add two young NHL regulars for a 2nd and a 3rd it does not matter. You hardly get this out of those picks. And I think they are regulars this year.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Ain’t no facts backing your argument, got it.
In the 2024 playoffs

Skinner - .901 save %
Bobrovsky - .906 save %
Shesterkin - .926 save %
Oettinger - .913 save %

Skinner - 2.45 gaa
Bobrovsky - 2.33 gaa
Shesterkin - 2.34 gaa
Oettinfer - 2.24 gaa

Statistically Skinner was the worst of the 4 goaltenders in the 2024 playoffs

Last edited:

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
In the 2024 playoffs

Skinner - .901 save %
Bobrovsky - .906 save %
Shesterkin - .926 save %
Oettinger - .913 save %

Skinner - 2.45 gaa
Bobrovsky - 2.33 gaa
Shesterkin - 2.34 gaa
Oettinfer - 2.24 gaa

Statistically Skinner was the worst of the 4 goaltenders in the 2024 playoffs

I kinda like the Panthers but you are singlehandedly turning me against them. No one likes a sore winner, dude. You're way too invested in this thread if you ask me.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Armstrong just had his way with the oiler organization, lol. Crafted both offers so they couldn’t match and they gave up squat.
Two players with a grand total of two full NHL seasons combined for 6.9M? Both played the majority of last season in the AHL. The value in the players was the cost control. Ballooning their contracts wipes out a ton of value on the players.

Reactions: M Ace

M Ace

Apr 12, 2010
Orebro, Sweden
If you can add two young NHL regulars for a 2nd and a 3rd it does not matter. You hardly get this out of those picks. And I think they are regulars this year.
1. They were not NHL regular.
2. They comes with a cap hit of 7,5 mill, and was not worth that related to Oilers cap situation.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Smart move by Armstrong. Not sure if his diatribes are theater to justify the moves or of it's real, though.

Oilers should have matched on Holloway, though. It's not like they have young talented forwards growing on trees.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Sucks for the Oilers that they don't get to see what these players could've become for them, but I guess right now this makes sense. They're cap compliant with Kane injured or not, and can accrue cap space for the trade deadline.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
1. They were not NHL regular.
2. They comes with a cap hit of 7,5 mill, and was not worth that related to Oilers cap situation.

1. He didn't write that they were NHL regulars but that they are.
2. Not sure what you are arguing here? Poster said nothing about their cap hit but merely stated they were cheap additions. Which they are

M Ace

Apr 12, 2010
Orebro, Sweden
1. He didn't write that they were NHL regulars but that they are.
2. Not sure what you are arguing here? Poster said nothing about their cap hit but merely stated they were cheap additions. Which they are
In todays NHL a 10 million player even for a 7th rounder isn't a cheap addition, when the cap comes in play.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
He did have the occasional good game but when the pressure was on and the team needed him to be great.. he usually wasn't. The Oilers stunning offense won most of those games... not Skinner for the most part.

Edmonton won last year on D. Yes the offense was great, but they were 9th in GA for the year, 5th after Knob came on board. Same GA as Florida in the playoffs. Historic PK.

And we hear the defensmen most used in defensive situations, Ceci, is not NHL caliber. And Nurse sucks. And Dehairnais is no loss. And Skinner is not good.

This all does not add up. The oilers would not have let in so few G/G if any of that was remotely true. The games they lost were not on the D and goalies, they were on the offense. Edmonton only allowed 11G (minus EN) in their 4 loses, thats a 2.75GAA, thats not really bad. They lost those games because they scored 5 goals in those 4 games.

Reactions: Dakine

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
Two players with a grand total of two full NHL seasons combined for 6.9M? Both played the majority of last season in the AHL. The value in the players was the cost control. Ballooning their contracts wipes out a ton of value on the players.
They still are RFAs once their current contracts end.

If they perform at the level they are signed to, their next contracts will be comparable or slightly more. Basically the Blues did what European leagues do and signed players based on future performance and not past.

And from the Blues perspective inflating their salary for 2 years doesn’t matter because they have the cap space and won’t be serious contenders again until right after their contracts expire.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Feel like these are the richest deals either player should get in their career.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
It’s probably a worthwhile risk for the Blues to take if they can afford it but I don’t necessarily think this was a mistake by the Oilers. Holloway and Broberg’s value has declined since they were drafted and Edmonton needs players now. Just because Broberg had a decent stretch in the playoffs, doesn’t mean much; I remember I thought Ville Leino was going to build off his strong playoff performance years ago. Basically i think it’s a worthwhile gamble for the Blues to take but I don’t think it’s close to a sure thing and I don’t think the Oilers were screwed

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
As much as I will miss Broberg, I am super pumped that I no longer have to see Bern trying to trade for Broberg from the Oilers. Blues fans, he's your problem now.
And I will not miss wasting having to show win win deals which you and others constantly rejected, only to now at last have the end result bottom line prove I was right, Oil were better off accepting those offers.

Enjoy Knoblauch, Rs should have promoted him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad