Confirmed Signing with Link: Oilers decline to match offer sheets for Broberg and Holloway

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
The real unforced error was signing Skinner and Arvidsson without having a plan to get Broberg and Holloway under contract.
And wtf were they thinking when they wasted $1.15m on a 39 year old useless Corey Perry before taking care of business with Broberg and Holloway? When it happened everyone and their dog said huh?
This was a master class in shooting yourself in the foot.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
And yet the overall point - that Friedman and many other have made - is that your team lowballed your players. That much is not a rumor; were it a rumor, you'd still have both Broberg and Holloway, and my team wouldn't.

I gave the information I had, but ultimately, my information doesn't matter. What does matter is that your team signed so many UFAs for a farm sale that they failed to pay attention to the young chicks already in the coup...until the fox stole them both away.

Sorry for the lame metaphor; authoress side is trying to show off, haha.
it was a slight lowball given their lack of history of production in the NHL. But that’s not the reason they aren’t Oilers today. The reason is cause the Blues chose to give them an extreme overpay instead.

Not really. He plays well when it's a blow out and he's getting a ton of run support but when it's close and he's under pressure he chokes like a virgin giving her first BJ. We'll just ignore that .826 Sv% game I guess.

View attachment 902232
So the 1-0 shutout against LA didn’t exist? Or the final two games against Dallas to close them out sporting a .960 in 1 goal games?

Reactions: McBooya42

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
it was a slight lowball given their lack of history of production in the NHL. But that’s not the reason they aren’t Oilers today. The reason is cause the Blues chose to give them an extreme overpay instead.
And it never would've happened, had you paid them first before trying to sign all of the UFAs for your offense. That's key for any organization: you always take care of your own before you look elsewhere. That's where you make mistakes. It's where the Blues made their mistake with Krug, where we eventually lost Vince Dunn to the Kraken because we were forced to protect Krug; we felt we had to replace Pietrangelo immediately instead of looking to see where our team had defensemen ready to step in. It was a giant clusterf*** that we are only now beginning to fix.

You always take care of your own garden's plants before looking towards another person's plants to add to it.

spaghtti

Oct 13, 2013
Yes that's how RFA offer sheets work.
So the blues should be happy that the only way they can get players is to overpay them

Both Broberg and Holloway are signed for only two years. If they turn into something, that's f***ing awesome, and we'll gladly re-sign them. If not, we're only on the hook for two years for both contracts at a reasonable price for us.
An over pay is an over pay regardless how much cap space you have

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

So the 1-0 shutout against LA didn’t exist? Or the final two games against Dallas to close them out sporting a .960 in 1 goal games?
He did have the occasional good game but when the pressure was on and the team needed him to be great.. he usually wasn't. The Oilers stunning offense won most of those games... not Skinner for the most part.

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
I believe this is Edmonton being saved by St. Louis. I can't believe how suddenly highly rated these two busting players are. It doesn't matter how young a player is when they can't play effectively in the NHL! Broberg and Holloway are easily replaceable and likely overrated by their own management leading them to want to save face instead of cutting losses. The Blues will regret doing this very soon.

Reactions: Oilslick941611

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
And it never would've happened, had you paid them first before trying to sign all of the UFAs for your offense. That's key for any organization: you always take care of your own before you look elsewhere. That's where you make mistakes. It's where the Blues made their mistake with Krug, where we eventually lost Vince Dunn to the Kraken because we were forced to protect Krug; we felt we had to replace Pietrangelo immediately instead of looking to see where our team had defensemen ready to step in. It was a giant clusterf*** that we are only now beginning to fix.

You always take care of your own garden's plants before looking towards another person's plants to add to it.
The Oilers have short term priorities, It's Cup or Bust for yet another year. Usually that's at the expense of long term priorities. Short term, they needed Vet Scoring Wingers that can be relied upon. They know this cause guys like Foegele and Mcleod weren't reliable in that dept. in the playoffs. They shored up immediate needs during the UFA period where if they hadn't they wouldn't have got the wingers they wanted due to the competition for UFAs. I guess we will see if it's a mistake when these guys suit up for a full year in the NHL, something that hasn't even happened in their careers yet. But alot of this transaction or any in the NHL will depend on how the players perform. We shall see.

I know in a vacuum if given the opportunity to sign Holloway at 2.2M or Broberg at 4.5M the Oilers this year, the Oilers would walk. The picks compensation makes it even easier to walk from.

He did have the occasional good game but when the pressure was on and the team needed him to be great.. he usually wasn't. The Oilers stunning offense won most of those games... not Skinner for the most part.
He literally out played all 4 goalies in the final four rounds. Goalies that are or will be soon more than double his cap hit. I think that shows ability in pressure games. Are there any more pressure filled games in this League than the last 2 rounds of the playoffs?

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
So the blues should be happy that the only way they can get players is to overpay them

Its like the only way to get 22-23 year old former high picks who are NHL ready. Otherwise, you'd have to pay a first and a 2nd to get a young player like Newhook. Just good asset management.

• Haha
Reactions: spaghtti

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
The Oilers have short term priorities, It's Cup or Bust for yet another year. Usually that's at the expense of long term priorities. Short term, they needed Vet Scoring Wingers that can be relied upon. They know this cause guys like Foegele and Mcleod weren't reliable in that dept. in the playoffs. They shored up immediate needs during the UFA period where if they hadn't they wouldn't have got the wingers they wanted due to the competition for UFAs. I guess we will see if it's a mistake when these guys suit up for a full year in the NHL, something that hasn't even happened in their careers yet. But alot of this transaction or any in the NHL will depend on how the players perform. We shall see.

I know in a vacuum if given the opportunity to sign Holloway at 2.2M or Broberg at 4.5M the Oilers this year, the Oilers would walk. The picks compensation makes it even easier to walk from.

He literally out played all 4 goalies in the final four rounds. Goalies that are or will be soon more than double his cap hit. I think that shows ability in pressure games. Are there any more pressure filled games in this League than the last 2 rounds of the playoffs?
I really doubt the Oilers actually expected two offersheets which is probably the real goof up here. If they did, a better move would have been to trade them at the draft to get better assets.

You can turn those assets around to get vets at retained prices.

It should have been obvious that the numbers dont work when the UFAs were signed. It was a gamble that failed or just poor negotiation.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I really doubt the Oilers actually expected two offersheets which is probably the real goof up here. If they did, a better move would have been to trade them at the draft to get better assets. It should have been obvious that the numbers dont work when the UFAs were signed.
It was a strong possibility. If Seravalli thought so, you'd think the Oilers would also think so.

Trading them at the draft? So another team can have the unsigned, offer sheet risks? I don't know if that gets you better value. Appropriately paid and signed versions of these players would have been. But what happened is the Blues were willing to overpay to bring them to nearly double their actual value. In that case, not much value can be squeezed.

jjniner

Feb 28, 2016
If this has been talked about, I apologize! Too many pages to read thru it all. I heard somewhere today that if(not sure Holloway or Broberg) had only played in 79 games and not 81, he would not have even been available for an offer sheet. Again, not very good management.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Holloway's Stat Line for last year: 38 GP 6G 3A 9PTS. If you told me the Oilers signed a player with that stat line for $2.29M, would you think that was a good deal?

Broberg's Stat Line for last year: 12 GP 0G 2A 2PTS. If you told me the Oilers signed a player with that stat line for $4.58M, would you think that was a good deal?

If this has been talked about, I apologize! Too many pages to read thru it all. I heard somewhere today that if(not sure Holloway or Broberg) had only played in 79 games and not 81, he would not have even been available for an offer sheet. Again, not very good management.
Rumor has been debunked. That's not how RFA contracts work.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
It was a strong possibility. If Seravalli thought so, you'd think the Oilers would also think so.

Trading them at the draft? So another team can have the unsigned, offer sheet risks? I don't know if that gets you better value. Appropriately paid and signed versions of these players would have been. But what happened is the Blues were willing to overpay to bring them to nearly double their actual value. In that case, not much value can be squeezed.
Ya trade them at the draft. See Newhook trade. RFAs dont get predatory offersheet unless the team they have a tight cap situation. A team trading for them would have some cap flexibility.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri

It's a calculated risk. We can afford to overpay, especially since Krug is on LTIR and will not play the entire season, especially since Kevin Hayes is gone with no money retained, especially since we've not overpaid anyone above 8.1 million AAV, where we have two in Robert Thomas and Jordan Kyrou. Even Buchnevich took a decent deal to stay.

We were so desperate for defense that we signed Ryan Suter - a man who will be forty in January - to an incentives-based contract and took a flier on Pierre-Olivier Joseph. We were penciling in Scott Perunovich and Tyler Tucker - two defensemen who should be nowhere near a playoff team - as potential second-pairing and third-pairing, respectively.

We were so desperate for secondary scoring and overall depth on our lines aside from Thomas, Kyrou, Buchnevich, and Neighbours that we ended up promoting two twenty-year-olds just getting a taste of the AHL (Zachary Bolduc and Zach Dean) to help our depth, and ended up trading for Mathieu Joseph, Radek Faksa, and Alexandre Texier, as well as re-signing (*sigh*) Kasperi Kapanen.

Now for defense we have Broberg, who will be under no pressure and will likely start on the second pairing (Suter will likely steady Matt Kessel, our young third-pairing right-handed defenseman.) with Justin Faulk. Now we have Holloway, who will almost certainly be middle-six with no pressure and potentially tried out at third-line center (as we could use someone good on the dot, which is one thing, Holloway has proven he can do).

We are under zero pressure, and all we gave up are picks - picks that we've more than used over the past two years alone - and cap space - which we have plenty of.

Yes, your team has short term priorities. That doesn't mean you ignore the long-term. Your team could've more than easily done both. GMs are supposed to multitask. There was no need to sign Corey Perry to that contract. You could've dumped Ceci to the Sharks at any time. You could've easily made the cap necessary to sign both of them before it ever got to the point of an offer sheet.

We may have signed them to bigger contracts than you could afford, but it only ever got to that point because you lowballed your players and ignored them in favor of the newest shiny toys. Just because your team has young players when you're in win-now mode doesn't mean that they should be kicked to the curb in favor of a new plaything; it means that with proper development, those same young players could be key to winning even more down the line.

Winning teams need a mix of veterans and youth. Where's the latter on your team?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Ya trade them at the draft. See Newhook trade. RFAs dont get predatory offersheet unless the team they have a tight cap situation. A team trading for them would have some cap flexibility.
You keep bringing up Newhook like it's a good comp. It's not. He had 2 full seasons of being a viable and productive NHLer. Neither Broberg nor Holloway have one full season doing that or even HALF a season doing that.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
You keep bringing up Newhook like it's a good comp. It's not. He had 2 full seasons of being a viable and productive NHLer. Neither Broberg nor Holloway have one full season doing that or even HALF a season doing that.
Nah. Newhook wasnt that good, but id be pissed to missmanage an asset that badly.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I have to admit, I'm disappointed as I was hoping they'd get bigger roles on the Oilers for cheap. They could have made space earlier. They still don't have a good goaltender. They're still paying Nurse way too much. This is was a smart gamble for St Louis (repeating myself there). I could see both these players settle in nicely there.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Like I said he plays well when he has a ton of run support... like that .970 8-1 game or the 5-1 game but when the pressure is on and the game is close he chokes and folds like a cheap suit. Right now, Skinner isn't good enough to win you a Stanley Cup and mgmt should still be looking for a playoff goalie that can.
We literally got to game 7 of the SCF. Stuart played good enough in that game. Bobrovsky played better, and kudos to him.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
It's a calculated risk. We can afford to overpay, especially since Krug is on LTIR and will not play the entire season, especially since Kevin Hayes is gone with no money retained, especially since we've not overpaid anyone above 8.1 million AAV, where we have two in Robert Thomas and Jordan Kyrou. Even Buchnevich took a decent deal to stay.

We were so desperate for defense that we signed Ryan Suter - a man who will be forty in January - to an incentives-based contract and took a flier on Pierre-Olivier Joseph. We were penciling in Scott Perunovich and Tyler Tucker - two defensemen who should be nowhere near a playoff team - as potential second-pairing and third-pairing, respectively.

We were so desperate for secondary scoring and overall depth on our lines aside from Thomas, Kyrou, Buchnevich, and Neighbours that we ended up promoting two twenty-year-olds just getting a taste of the AHL (Zachary Bolduc and Zach Dean) to help our depth, and ended up trading for Mathieu Joseph, Radek Faksa, and Alexandre Texier, as well as re-signing (*sigh*) Kasperi Kapanen.

Now for defense we have Broberg, who will be under no pressure and will likely start on the second pairing (Suter will likely steady Matt Kessel, our young third-pairing right-handed defenseman.) with Justin Faulk. Now we have Holloway, who will almost certainly be middle-six with no pressure and potentially tried out at third-line center (as we could use someone good on the dot, which is one thing, Holloway has proven he can do).

We are under zero pressure, and all we gave up are picks - picks that we've more than used over the past two years alone - and cap space - which we have plenty of.

Yes, your team has short term priorities. That doesn't mean you ignore the long-term. Your team could've more than easily done both. GMs are supposed to multitask. There was no need to sign Corey Perry to that contract. You could've dumped Ceci to the Sharks at any time. You could've easily made the cap necessary to sign both of them before it ever got to the point of an offer sheet.

We may have signed them to bigger contracts than you could afford, but it only ever got to that point because you lowballed your players and ignored them in favor of the newest shiny toys. Just because your team has young players when you're in win-now mode doesn't mean that they should be kicked to the curb in favor of a new plaything; it means that with proper development, those same young players could be key to winning even more down the line.

Winning teams need a mix of veterans and youth. Where's the latter on your team?
But they didn't ignore the long term. They did a mix of long term and short term this off-season. They trades for 2 former 1st round picks in Savoie (9OA pick) and Podkolzin (10OA pick). They also traded into the first round of the draft and drafted O' Reilly. So they already multi tasked. It was a mixture of moves with an understandable priority on the short term and next year's playoff run due to the Cup Window. Perry signing is part of that short term priority and from all reports he was liked in the room and helped the cause.

You signed them to bigger contracts more than they are worth. The Oilers actually could have "afforded" it and matched. They chose not to match what will immediately be negative value contracts. We didn't ignore them, we made choices based on our priorities. Negotiations happened to sign them through out the summer, and progress wasn't made to the point of a signing. You act like the Oilers didn't try, they tried. Broberg's agent specifically held out for the possibility of an O/S.

Nah. Newhook wasnt that good, but id be pissed to missmanage an asset that badly.
According to you. And yet still way more proven, productive, established, by a large margin than both Holloway and Broberg. My point stands. It's a bad comp.

Reactions: spaghtti

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
No he didn't. He was better than over the hill Cam Talbot and career backup David Rittich with LA and backup Arturs Silovs with Vancouver but Dallas's Jake Oettinger and Florida's Sergei Bobrovsky were better.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
I believe this is Edmonton being saved by St. Louis. I can't believe how suddenly highly rated these two busting players are. It doesn't matter how young a player is when they can't play effectively in the NHL! Broberg and Holloway are easily replaceable and likely overrated by their own management leading them to want to save face instead of cutting losses. The Blues will regret doing this very soon.
This was a brilliant gamble by the blues.

They poached two young prospects for draft picks.

Sure it’s a massive overpay, but if it fails it’s a small loss.

If it hits, it could be a grand slam.

I think Broberg will be a top 4 Dman.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Proven false.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad