Confirmed Signing with Link: Oilers decline to match offer sheets for Broberg and Holloway

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Just awful asset management by the Oilers. They signed Perry, Skinner, and Ardvisson before locking up their RFAs.

Next year they are in cap hell again, I would not be surprised if a team throws a brinks truck at Bouch.

Letting two 1st rounders go this way and their cupboard is pretty bare, they better win soon. Thier window is closing rapidly. What a waste of CM and LD.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I think no matter what they did the Oilers were going to lose once the offer sheets were signed. The Blues made a brilliant move.
The correct move for the Oilers was to sign each of these guys for around their reported asking prices before the offers were signed.
The Blues made a bet on these 2 players. It’s only really brilliant if the bet pays off. That is they are worth their cap hits as players with them.

What’s the reported asks these players had and where was it reported?

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
The Blues made a bet on these 2 players. It’s only really brilliant if the bet pays off. That is they are worth their cap hits as players with them.

The Blues made a terrific move. Acquiring two 1st round prospects for a 2 and 3rd is great. Even if they both don’t work out they just let them walk in two years.

Absolutely brutal mgt by the oilers.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri

Reported asking price - from what I saw on this site; I apologize for not being able to get a source - was closer to two million for Broberg; around 1.4-1.6 for Holloway. An upgraded price, but certainly feasible.

The Oilers screwed it up by paying older players and lowballing their RFAs - a mistake that I doubt Armstrong will make with Neighbours, Hofer, and Toropchenko (our RFAs for next year).

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The Blues made a terrific move. Acquiring two 1st round prospects for a 2 and 3rd is great. Even if they both don’t work out they just let them walk in two years.

So just cause they are former 1st round picks it’s terrific? By that logic, Oilers made an even better trade by getting Podkolzin for a 4th.

The truth is, it will come down to how these players perform. At their respective overpays, Holloway and Broberg would need to perform much higher than they would have been expected to in Edmonton.

Reactions: Seanaconda

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Friedman said Broberg’s ask was $1.8 million.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Reported asking price - from what I saw on this site; I apologize for not being able to get a source - was closer to two million for Broberg; around 1.4-1.6 for Holloway. An upgraded price, but certainly feasible.

The Oilers screwed it up by paying older players and lowballing their RFAs - a mistake that I doubt Armstrong will make with Neighbours, Hofer, and Toropchenko (our RFAs for next year).
Yeh I’d like to see a real source on those rumors.

Depends how you view Edmontons priorities. This is another Cup or Bust type year and you may want more reliable vets in that situation over question marks.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
so did they trade ceci to match broberg and then change their mind? or did they just seize the opportunity to ditch ceci?

1. Put the gun to STL's head, which worked they coughed up anther 3rd plus a prospect, and
2. Put themselves in a solid cap situation where they can accrue, are not dependent on the outcome of Kanes health.

the D is definitely worse than last year, but their ability to upgrade it at TDL is much better than last year with all those picks and accrued cap space.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
So just cause they are former 1st round picks it’s terrific? By that logic, Oilers made an even better trade by getting Podkolzin for a 4th.

The truth is, it will come down to how these players perform. At their respective overpays, Holloway and Broberg would need to perform much higher than they would have been expected to in Edmonton.

Yeah it is terrific, they gambled and it cost them virtually nothing except $$$ which they have plenty of. Incredible move, instantly strengthen their prospect depth.

Both of these guys are >>>>> than Pod.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton

Actually a 2nd, 2 3rds, and a prospect that looks to play in the NHL one day.

Reactions: Seanaconda

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Yeah it is terrific, they gambled and it cost them virtually nothing except $$$ which they have plenty of. Incredible move, instantly strengthen their prospect depth.

Both of these guys are >>>>> than Pod.
2nd, 2 3rds, and a decent prospect for two overpaid prospects with admittedly higher potential.

But it’s still potential at this point. They still have to play and still have to cover the 6M+ bet made on the players.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Yeh I’d like to see a real source on those rumors.

Depends how you view Edmontons priorities. This is another Cup or Bust type year and you may want more reliable vets in that situation over question marks.
Asking Price

Oilers site citing Friedman

Yeah, Elliotte Friedman said that the asking price for Broberg was 1.8 million, while Holloway's was 1.2. Even worse than I thought.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
No way to sugar coat this, it was a complete failure by the Oilers MGT.
Not at all. Broberg was in tough as the only way he was playing lhd with us was if we traded Kulak too. It would have handicapped us cap wise. We gave him an offer within our cap range and he refused it as was his right - same with Holloway. I don't begrudge him for it as I get it. It actually works out for us as we got replacements that include a RHD which we actually need that looks to be a top 4 guy eventually. Podkolzin can play either wing, and easily replaces Holloway at 1 x 2 years.

On top of that our cap space is good, and we can either accrue about 4.4 mil in cap space for the deadline, or LTIR Kane at 5.1. With reports of a sports hernia and hip issue to deal with, he could be out for a while.

All things considered, Stan did well on his first test.

Laugh all you want, but you'll be watching us in the playoffs with your Habs hanky.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Good on Broberg and Holly for cashing in. Make the money while you can.
Can’t blame the players for taking an overpay. Anyone would.

Exactly, good for those two guys getting paid. Just incredible incompetence by the oilers.
Matching or not matching offersheets can turn out good or bad. Depends how they play. Just like Kotkaniemi.

Reactions: Habby4Life

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Rumors. “If true”. No indication if an offer was made and reject by the players hoping for an offer sheet, of which it sounds like their agents had a good sense was coming.

*sigh* You'd ignore me no matter what I'd say, wouldn't you?

You wanted a link, and I gave you two. I stated my proof, and you just don't see - or don't want to see - that your team screwed up. Period

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
One game? That's all you got? 🤣

I guess we ignore the .970?

Skinner is a great up and coming local boy starter. We're good, seriously. I love me some fans of other teams telling us how good our players are, and how they know better.
Like I said he plays well when he has a ton of run support... like that .970 8-1 game or the 5-1 game but when the pressure is on and the game is close he chokes and folds like a cheap suit. Right now, Skinner isn't good enough to win you a Stanley Cup and mgmt should still be looking for a playoff goalie that can.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
*sigh* You'd ignore me no matter what I'd say, wouldn't you?

You wanted a link, and I gave you two. I stated my proof, and you just don't see - or don't want to see - that your team screwed up. Period
I didn’t ignore you. I acknowledged the information you provided and call it was it was. A rumour.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
I didn’t ignore you. I acknowledged the information you provided and call it was it was. A rumour.

And yet the overall point - that Friedman and many other have made - is that your team lowballed your players. That much is not a rumor; were it a rumor, you'd still have both Broberg and Holloway, and my team wouldn't.

I gave the information I had, but ultimately, my information doesn't matter. What does matter is that your team signed so many UFAs for a farm sale that they failed to pay attention to the young chicks already in the coup...until the fox stole them both away.

Sorry for the lame metaphor; authoress side is trying to show off, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad