Confirmed Signing with Link: Oilers decline to match offer sheets for Broberg and Holloway

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Nope, their head scout is Rick Pracey, who got fired from the Avs for being utter trash. He selected Mitchell Heard with a second and drafted Connor Bleackley in the first. Go EP those players and see where they are now.
Pracey did do a good job drafting the last O'Reilly though. But god, mitchell heard...

• Haha
Reactions: Dan Kelly

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Very glad the Oil didn't match either one. STL had the cap to overpay and gamble on these guys, Edmonton doesn't.

Not worth it.
Oilers could not match due to Draisaitl's and Bouchard's contracts.

Pracey did do a good job drafting the last O'Reilly though. But god, mitchell heard...
2009 draft is looking more like a fluke when you consider the rest of his work.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I wonder what the reaction would be if the Oilers resigned Broberg for 4.5M with 12 NHL GP last year and signed Holloway for 2.25M with 38 NHL GP last year.

Actually no need to wonder, both would have been hilarious overpays and would have been shat on by HF.

Reactions: Bejeezus

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
I think it's the right move. Broberg before the playoffs most Oiler fans were putting him in every trade and probably would have been happy with a 2nd. Based on the caphit of both players I don't think it would have be worth the cost to dump more assets to make it work. Take the picks and move on.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Oilers probably get hit again next year on Bouchard. If they keep Drai. He'd sign for 13m at lowest. They can't max out as have to re-up McDavid the next year.

spaghtti

Oct 13, 2013
They are seriously overpaid, Holloway MIGHT be workth his his salary in the 2nd, Broberg I doubt is worth his contract in 3 years

Reactions: Dan Kelly

stewy04

Jun 19, 2016
What do the Oilers think they can buy with a 2nd and 3rd round pick at the deadline? From the past few deadlines... that gets you a Savard, Ceci or Chiarot type player at 50% retention. Frankly, it may not even get you one of those guys. It may buy a little less.
They may not need retention now so a bit more hopefully

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Army is probably THE most respected GM in the entire league. If anything, other GMs are wondering why they weren't using offer sheets before?

He picked up two young first rounders for a great price. Low risk, high reward. A brilliant move.

Not the first time the Blues have been offer-sheeted: Vancouver's GM tried to poach David Backes (which we matched), and our then-GM, John Davidson, retaliated with trying to poach Steve Berniers (which they matched).

Turned out well for our team with what Backes turned into.

Stelmacki

May 2, 2017
Army is probably THE most respected GM in the entire league. If anything, other GMs are wondering why they weren't using offer sheets before?

He picked up two young first rounders for a great price. Low risk, high reward. A brilliant move.
Well, there were 2 other teams that sent an offer sheet to Broberg. I don’t know if it’s been reported on which teams, though.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
They are seriously overpaid, Holloway MIGHT be workth his his salary in the 2nd, Broberg I doubt is worth his contract in 3 years

Both Broberg and Holloway are signed for only two years. If they turn into something, that's f***ing awesome, and we'll gladly re-sign them. If not, we're only on the hook for two years for both contracts at a reasonable price for us.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Because they think they can hang around the playoff race as is until the deadline, at which point they’ll load up with the best veterans available and leave it all on the ice.

They have a 2nd and a 3rd this year, and all their picks for the next 2026 and 2027.

Plus prospects.

More than enough to swing deals for two or three big name rentals, plus a few depth acquisitions.

There should be no tomorrows in Edmonton - it’s Stanley Cup or bust this year, because until Draisaitl puts pen to paper, you have to assume he’s not coming back.
In theory that's fine but the fact remains you've lost your entire right side and replaced it with downgrades.

But assuming they can tread water till the deadline I find it strange that oiler fans just assume they will have their pick of the litter when pretty much every team usually tries to add a top four dman and their are teams like Vancouver that will also likely be looking to add and no disrespect meant but have better assets to dangle right down the line from picks, prospects and roster players that would actually have value. Add in the fact that JR is very well liked around the league and has the reputation of usually getting the guy he targets.

I dunno I just find it odd that oiler fans are treating the deadline like July1 where they will assemble their defence instead of adding an impact player.
And if they are unable to add at least two really good RHD the d as it's constructed now not only isnt ideal there's no depth.
Using the nucks as an example since I know the roster if we add a top four LHD we now have Soucy on the third pair with Forbort as a sub, or if we add an RHD it pushes Myers to the third or bench depending on Deharnais fit.
Same goes for your bottom six, not a lot of scoring or speed and you are slotting in a guy that was 14th on our depth chart

Stelmacki

May 2, 2017
Not the first time the Blues have been offer-sheeted: Vancouver's GM tried to poach David Backes (which we matched), and our then-GM, John Davidson, retaliated with trying to poach Steve Berniers (which they matched).

Turned out well for our team with what Backes turned into.
Yeah, that was one thing I wanted to point out to the fans saying Holloway and Broberg destroyed their relationship with their teammates. Backes signed an OS and was still picked to be captain.

Reactions: Memento

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
so did they trade ceci to match broberg and then change their mind? or did they just seize the opportunity to ditch ceci?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Both Broberg and Holloway are signed for only two years. If they turn into something, that's f***ing awesome, and we'll gladly re-sign them. If not, we're only on the hook for two years for both contracts at a reasonable price for us.
Yeah... Some people are carrying on like they signed 8 yr contracts and StL has zero cap space.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I wonder what the reaction would be if the Oilers resigned Broberg for 4.5M with 12 NHL GP last year and signed Holloway for 2.25M with 38 NHL GP last year.

Actually no need to wonder, both would have been hilarious overpays and would have been shat on by HF.
I think no matter what they did the Oilers were going to lose once the offer sheets were signed. The Blues made a brilliant move.
The correct move for the Oilers was to sign each of these guys for around their reported asking prices before the offers were signed.

Reactions: Memento

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Yeah, that was one thing I wanted to point out to the fans saying Holloway and Broberg destroyed their relationship with their teammates. Backes signed an OS and was still picked to be captain.

Right. Good teammates don't judge other teammates for wanting the best for themselves because the world of sports is, first and foremost, a business, and players understand that and expect others to better themselves. Careers, for the most part, are limited, and if a player gets a career ending injury before they get paid, they're shit out of luck. Holloway's already been injured before. Broberg's likely been injured; it's part of the game of hockey to be hurt. Nobody should blame either one for wanting the best for themselves.

If McDavid and Draisaitl don't understand that, especially after what they saw happen to Klefbom - and I hope and believe they do; I'd kill for either one on the Blues, if not both - then maybe they aren't good teammates.

Stelmacki

May 2, 2017
so did they trade ceci to match broberg and then change their mind? or did they just seize the opportunity to ditch ceci?
Probably the main point was to give themselves more room to move. It seems to have helped get something more out of Armstrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad