Confirmed Signing with Link: Oilers decline to match offer sheets for Broberg and Holloway

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DingerMcSlapshot

Dec 1, 2017
Broberg if rumors are true was offerred 2.2 million over 2 years. 1.1 each year.

I don't know about you but a 3 million dollar raise each year is worth it.

If rumors are true on Holloway he got offerred an extra million with one year less.
I do imagine it took convincing from the agent on this one but again the agent did get his player more money.
Convincing lol. Both players wanted out. And they got paid.

Reactions: Memento

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
how do you feel with Nurse-Kulak-Stetcher-Emberson as your bottom 4?

doesnt look like a Cup contending team all of a sudden.
I feel like we need a 2nd pair RD, just like we did before the Ceci trade. I'm fine with Kulak and one of Stecher or Emberson on the 3rd pair. Nurse is what he is, and he's going to play where he is pencilled in regardless of what happens due to his contract, but the real hole hasn't changed - a better partner for Nurse.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Such an odd tweet to start a thread with. Random Twitter account, plus it says “cap constraints” are the reason, when we have no idea if that’s true.

I don’t think the Oilers were matching $4.5 million on Broberg even if they had $10 million in cap space.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I feel like we need a 2nd pair RD, just like we did before the Ceci trade. I'm fine with Kulak and one of Stecher or Emberson on the 3rd pair. Nurse is what he is, and he's going to play where he is pencilled in regardless of what happens due to his contract, but the real hole hasn't changed - a better partner for Nurse.
Pretty much. Broberg was supposed to be the cheap trial run at that spot and if he failed it would have been addressed mid season. Only thing that changes here is we lose that trial run, which is successful, would have allowed us to add to other places on the roster. The goal is still to add a better partner for Nurse to hopefully stabilize his game better.

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
They did get a 2nd from Ottawa taking on Mathieu. But yes they dumped Hayes and needed that 2nd back.

So it was a 2nd+2nd+3rd+3rd for Broberg Holloway and a 5th.

Or since they dumped Hayes and took Matthieu

2nd + 2nd + 3rd + 3rd + Hayes for Broberg Holloway Matthieu a 2nd and a 5th.

Honestly I like what the Blues got.
Nah, it was actually a 3rd that they got for taking Mathieu Joseph. Specifically, it was the 3rd they gave to the Penguins to get their 2nd back.
Which teams have moved a ELC range player for draft picks like that? Teams would move mid to later 20's as that player approaches free agency, like a DCat. Even rebuilding teams would keep those kids.
Blackhawks with Kirby Dach.
No, it isn’t.

Pittsburgh won back to back titles once they realized Sid and Geno needed grown ups and not kids who didn’t know what they were doing.
It was both. The Penguins did pick the right veterans to help them win, yes, but in 2016 and 2017, younger players are also necessary. Though I suppose that when we're talking about younger players for the Penguins, we're taking 22- and 23-year-olds.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I think it would have been better for his client to win a Cup playing on Leon Draisaitl's left wing then get a much bigger bag later.
You’re assuming this is a given, it isn’t. Holloway could suffer a career ending injury next season and have little to show for it. His agent got him an extra $1.5M~ minimum, and for a guy with limited earnings thus far, that should always be the priority.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I think it would have been better for his client to win a Cup playing on Leon Draisaitl's left wing then get a much bigger bag later.

Broberg was overjoyed to leave, but from the sounds of it Holloway's agent had to talk fast to get him to sign it.

Holloway isn't a child, I'm sure he can make his own big boy decisions.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Pretty much. Broberg was supposed to be the cheap trial run at that spot and if he failed it would have been addressed mid season. Only thing that changes here is we lose that trial run, which is successful, would have allowed us to add to other places on the roster. The goal is still to add a better partner for Nurse to hopefully stabilize his game better.
The trial run now might be Emberson, I just hope that if they go that route, it doesn't fail miserably out of the gate.

villacco

Dec 21, 2013
Villach
We replaced the 2 youngest with Podkolzin and Emberson who are also young and we moved out McLeod of Savoie so nothing really has changed much.
Yeah sure. Just like that. 3 players are gone, that actually would have gotten more playing time than those 3.
To expect those 3 younger players to play significant minutes is ridicolous.
Podkolzin might get waived at some point or playing 4th liner minutes. Savoie has talent, but has played junior last year. I highly doubt he will be playing much in the NHL. He need developing time in AHL / NHL Emberson replacing Broberg? Outlandish
Oiler got older (they lost Foegele as well), but not better.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
wouldve made a lot more sense to trade Ceci prior to July 1.... going into the season with Nurse-Kulak-Stetcher-Emberson as your bottom 4 doesnt look like a Cup contending team all of a sudden.
I think Oiler fans agree to be honest. That said, opening up that spot hopefully presents the team with some interesting options moving forward to actually upgrade on that spot instead of going back to the same old Nurse-Ceci pairing that failed us 2 playoffs in a row.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yeah sure. Just like that. 3 players are gone, that actually would have gotten more playing time than those 3.
Podkolzin might get waived at some point or playing 4th liner minutes. Savoie has talent, but has played junior last year. I highly doubt he will be playing much in the NHL. He need developing time in AHL / NHL Emberson replacing Broberg? Outlandish
Emberson played more NHL hockey last year and did better at it.
Holloway was often on the 4th line here and the Oilers added more forwards that would push him down. There is a good chance Holoway would have spent 4th line and ahl time here too.
Oilers got a tiny bit older but the forward core is better.
Defense is worse.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
The trial run now might be Emberson, I just hope that if they go that route, it doesn't fail miserably out of the gate.
Definitely. I don't think it's likely to if Emberson can play anything like he did last season. This team can outscore its problems fine enough and its veteran forwards are bought in these days on responsible 2-way play.

I'm fine giving him a shot, but would need to blow the doors off for me to move off the idea of adding a better player at the deadline. Emberson imo is more likely to become the solid shutdown pairing D for Kulak on the bottom pair.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Honestly, the Oilers played this about as well as they could have under the current circumstances. Yes, I get that they put themselves in this bind in the first place by not extending both Broberg/Holloway earlier in the year but them coming out of this with additional draft capital while unloading Ceci is a huge W for them. They have until the TDL to fix any issues with their D. They're still the favorites in the West IMO.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Holloway, Broberg and McLeod were never going to play big minutes for us either. Well, maybe Broberg, if they tried him out next to Nurse and it worked. The risk there, was that if it didn't work, we couldn't trade him for a year and that would have locked us in with him, instead of having him as a trade chip. I think if Broberg was in the Oilers long term plans, they would have matched, but they saw him as an experiment to try at 2RD, and trade bait for an upgrade if that didn't work. The OS took away the trade bait element.

Reactions: McFlyingV

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Emberson played more NHL hockey last year and did better at it.
Holloway was often on the 4th line here and the Oilers added more forwards that would push him down. There is a good chance Holoway would have spent 4th line and ahl time here too.
Oilers got a tiny bit older but the forward core is better.
Defense is worse.
The bold is a stretch, but I do agree Holloway would have been hard pressed to find a permanent top 6 role this year. He was going to be counted on to be a depth scorer which likely wouldn't have helped his chances of a bigger payday on his next contract.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Who is going to babysit Nurse now?
There is going to be an open tryout for that role now I would expect. Maybe a revolving door. I expect Emberson to get one of the two RD spots, but whether they throw him into the fire beside Nurse or ease him in on the bottom pair with Kulak is anyone's guess. The other spot will be a revolving door between Stecher and Josh Brown, depending on what Knoblauch thinks they need more of that particular game.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Pucklington

Zum Bäcker.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
Broberg went from a bust to a massive loss for the Oilers in the last month, according to many of the same posters...

Sucks, but they were bit parts on Edmonton. Hopefully it works out for them. Stl. could be in a position not to qualify one or both of them in 2 years.

Reactions: Nemesis Prime
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad