Confirmed Signing with Link: Oilers decline to match offer sheets for Broberg and Holloway

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
From everyone. The Blues just announced to the league that they think offer sheets are perfectly reasonable and a completely normal way of lowball acquiring young talents.

whenever the Blues get around to drafting and developing any such young talents, it's open season. And not just from Edmonton.

Every manager thinks this, it's just that the conditions are rarely right for a successful one.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
So Broberg went from stud to trash after the offer sheet. Then from trash to stud when Ceci got traded ("haha you won't be getting him afterall) and now back to trash I assume. Interesting career trajectory lol.
I'm sure there's been some crazy extremes on both sides as this is HF mainboards which have some of the most hilariously bad and dramatic takes. Think he's somewhere in the middle. A player with a lot of potential who could be a top 4 this year, but who could also barely be an NHLer making almost 5mil. I think he'll be closer to the latter, but I also won't be surprised if he ends up a bottom pairing quality D this year. Still like his potential, but don't know if he still has top pair upside like he may have a few years ago.

Reactions: dukeofjive

DingerMcSlapshot

Dec 1, 2017
Not even close to reality. Teams have done this for years to RFAs who had no arb rights. Especially with players who have no yet shown to be top 9 or top 4 players over a full season. I think both will get there, but neither had shown nearly enough consistently to deserve much of a pay raise.
Yams snd Poolparty?

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Likewise, the Oilers just showed the league how not to treat your young RFAs so I'm sure other GMs are taking note. Especially when you have no cap space to work with.
The only thing out of the ordinary here is St. Louis offersheeting two players on the same team. Every single year teams let their RFA's cook until the end.

Nobody mistreated anyone, and Armstrong deserves credit for a savvy move.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I would have wanted to see what the reaction would have been like if Blues had offered a 2nd round pick for Broberg.
It's kind of funny how perception changes because of his play in the playoffs which was good, but not great. I don't think many had him pegged as 1st round value when he reportedly requested a trade early last year when he was sent down to the AHL. Maybe late 1st round, but his stock had definitely fallen before rising after these playoffs.

Reactions: dukeofjive

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
From everyone. The Blues just announced to the league that they think offer sheets are perfectly reasonable and a completely normal way of lowball acquiring young talents.

whenever the Blues get around to drafting and developing any such young talents, it's open season. And not just from Edmonton.
Abiding by the rules of the CBA is not lowballing anyone lmao

Reactions: KingBogo

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
And I think that's still the plan. People need to slow down and realize that Edmonton doesn't need an upgrade on Ceci to make the playoffs. They need an upgrade on him when the playoffs start.
That’s a great idea, but with limited draft capital to trade and top 4 defense, especially RD, a premium at the deadline, are they going to be able to outbid other teams?

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Why? Because they were supposed to be a 2nd wave of cheap depth in the contending years. That's how teams stay competitive for longer than 5 year windows. Those players are no longer cheap depth, they're expensive depth who still haven't proven enough for a team like Edmonton to pay them that much.

No, it isn’t.

Pittsburgh won back to back titles once they realized Sid and Geno needed grown ups and not kids who didn’t know what they were doing.

the Lightning, Kings, Hawks, Avs - pick a champion.

The teenagers that drive them are the franchise players. But if the choice is a kid can’t take a regular shift in the playoffs or Barclay goodrow or Antoine Vermette, a contender takes the established player.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

Yea, Carolina sure has been a target since overpaying KK.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Neither of those players showed all that much either and ended up getting pretty fair contracts for how they performed. I guess that's a pretty good example of why you don't overpay unproven RFAs.

Or they could’ve just drafted Matt Tkachuk when they had the chance instead of falling all over themselves to draft a guy the Blue Jackets passed on.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
No, it isn’t.

Pittsburgh won back to back titles once they realized Sid and Geno needed grown ups and not kids who didn’t know what they were doing.

the Lightning, Kings, Hawks, Avs - pick a champion.

The teenagers that drive them are the franchise players. But if the choice is a kid can’t take a regular shift in the playoffs or Barclay goodrow or Antoine Vermette, a contender takes the established player.
All of those teams had a couple young depth players sprinkled in.

Or they could’ve just drafted Matt Tkachuk when they had the chance instead of falling all over themselves to draft a guy the Blue Jackets passed on.
I see you're a "live 10 years in the past" kind of guy lol.

Stelmacki

May 2, 2017
Another fantastic show of gming by stan bowman, a 2nd is worth far more than a bottom pairing defenseman signed at 4.6m. Next year, st Louis will have to add a 2nd just to get rid of that contract
Lol another flip flop from Baghdad Bob. 😂

Reactions: Memento

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
It's actually crazy to me that people are now saying that losing Ceci is going to hurt the Oilers bad. This guy was shit on for 3 years straight for his play in the playoffs sinking the Oilers. We also have people claiming he and Desharnais are the reason the Oilers PK was good? That's hilarious given that it was entirely the system and the aggressive sticks of the forwards that made it so good in the playoffs, the chemistry of the forward pairings, and people buying in at the right time. There's a reason why the PK wasn't that good in the regular season.
It's funny because everyone else was saying how shit Ceci is and it was Oilers fans arguing that he's been great since coming there

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
It sucks... I think we will be fine overall but I liked both guys. Really curious if they can take the next step in St Louis...

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
At the end of the day, I'm OK with the team not matching the deals, but the Oilers are not a better team than they were with these two in the system. Regardless of the moves they have made, there is a lot of work to do.

Reactions: HockeyScotty

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Which teams have moved a ELC range player for draft picks like that? Teams would move mid to later 20's as that player approaches free agency, like a DCat. Even rebuilding teams would keep those kids.

There are always teams for one reason or another who are looking to move off a young quality RFA.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto

Why didn't Edmonton just match or offer their own contracts to the RFA's ? Better question, why did the ex-Oilers players accept ? They obviously wanted out.

Every team has the ability to match an offer-sheet, if it was actually such a lowball, Edmonton easily matches. Just sounds like poor management.

Stelmacki

May 2, 2017
It's kind of funny how perception changes because of his play in the playoffs which was good, but not great. I don't think many had him pegged as 1st round value when he reportedly requested a trade early last year when he was sent down to the AHL. Maybe late 1st round, but his stock had definitely fallen before rising after these playoffs.
Blues were already targeting him before his playoff performance with a deal centered around Buchnevich.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad