Confirmed Signing with Link: Oilers decline to match offer sheets for Broberg and Holloway

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
The players haven't earned a contract larger than that. Both were AHL players for 95% of the year.
Not saying that they are worth it, but clearly someone was willing to pay them more than that. That's how the market should work.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Retaining on Hayes or buying him out would have likely overlapped with the time the Blues will likely be in a position to contend again their prospects and current players.

Overpaying for Broberg and Holloway doesn’t change that.
Retaining on hayes for the next 2 years= WOW THIS WILL INTERFERE WITH THE WINDOW
Overpaying Holloway and broberg for the next 2 years= THIS ISN'T IN THE WINDOW ANYWAY SO DOESN'T MATTER

That doesn't even get into the impacts on future RFA negotiations

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
"they viewed the pick to be less valuable than the cap hit".

YUP.

So money, and cap hit, in fact DOES matter to St Louis over the next 2 years. And so the amount they overpaid Broberg and Holloway IS relevant

Retaining on Hayes or buying him out would have likely overlapped with the time the Blues will likely be in a position to contend again their prospects and current players.

Overpaying for Broberg and Holloway doesn’t change that.

Just point to taking Matheui for a 2nd round pick right after. Easy to do. It happened essentially instantly.

Only so many bodies and Armstrong thinks Mattheui will play there game.

Hayes was slow and the Blues look to be trying to move fast.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Just point to taking Matheui for a 2nd round pick right after. Easy to do. It happened essentially instantly.

Only so many bodies and Armstrong thinks Mattheui will play there game.

Hayes was slow and the Blues look to be trying to move fast.
And I am saying, it works out MUCH better for both teams if St Louis simply works out a trade

2nd+2nd+3rd+3rd+3rd+Prospect for Broberg+Holloway.

And then sign them to the 1.8 mill and 1.2 mill they were asking for

Edmonton gets an extra 2nd+3rd
St Louis saves money now, and leverage in future negotiations

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
With what cap space or assets?
A 2nd and a 3rd won't get anything all that great.
Ceci had his warts but moving him was really really stupid unless they somehow get a big upgrade somehow which is highly unlikely with no cap or decent assets.

I fully expect the Oilers to add a solid top 4 D at some point this season. It's gotta sting now, but they might end up better off by the end of the season. Could work out for both teams in the long run.

2.4 mill buried cap hit on hayes+1.2 mill to Holloway+1.8 mill to Broberg = 5.4 mill total cap hit

hayes dumped+2.2 mill to holloway+4.6 mill to Broberg=6.8 mill total cap hit.

I am suggesting St Louis should have simply threatened an offer sheet, made a trade, and then signed holloway and broberg to the contracts they were asking for

Broberg+Holloway for 2nd+2nd+3rd+3rd+3rd+Prospect.

Ends up better for edmonton
Ends up better for St Louis

They lose the exact same assets. And save about 1.4 mill in salary
Edmonton gets more assets

Lots of assumptions in here. What if another team offer sheeted them instead? What was Edmonton's asking price for either player and what if the Blues were outbid by another team? If Bro and Holloway knew an offer sheet was a real possibility then it makes sense why they hadn't signed sooner.

So while your suggestion is theoretically possible, there are many things that could have gotten in the way of it actually happening.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Right call for the oilers right now.
You've literally lost your entire right side since July 1st. None of what has transpired, has been the right call.
I mean my God look at your Dcorp, it may be bottom 5.

I guess may as well get used to it once McDrai and Bouchard are eating 40 million in cap, along with that anchor in Nurse, there's gonna be a lot of bargain bin shopping.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
Retaining on hayes for the next 2 years= WOW THIS WILL INTERFERE WITH THE WINDOW
Overpaying Holloway and broberg for the next 2 years= THIS ISN'T IN THE WINDOW ANYWAY SO DOESN'T MATTER

That doesn't even get into the impacts on future RFA negotiations
Hayes is in his 30s and did not fit the window for the time the Blues were aiming to contend. He was meant to be someone to hold down 3C while the prospects developed due to how many forwards left the previous season. He failed at that. His cap hit would be an inhibitor to acquiring players who are younger and can potentially be long term solutions for when the team is contending again.

I personally would have kept Hayes because I don’t like dumping picks to get rid of contracts and with what he’s paid he’s fine as a third line wing. I am just saying that is the logic as to why he was moved.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
And I am saying, it works out MUCH better for both teams if St Louis simply works out a trade

2nd+2nd+3rd+3rd+3rd+Prospect for Broberg+Holloway.

And then sign them to the 1.8 mill and 1.2 mill they were asking for

Edmonton gets an extra 2nd+3rd
St Louis saves money now, and leverage in future negotiations
Who says either player signs those or are available at that price.

I think young D like Broberg cost a pretty penny in trades after a playoffs he had.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Hayes is in his 30s and did not fit the window for the time the Blues were aiming to contend. He was meant to be someone to hold down 3C while the prospects developed due to how many forwards left the previous season. He failed at that. His cap hit would be an inhibitor to acquiring players who are younger and can potentially be long term solutions for when the team is contending again.

I personally would have kept Hayes because I don’t like dumping picks to get rid of contracts and with what he’s paid he’s fine as a third line wing. I am just saying that is the logic as to why he was moved.
So what you're saying is having players at an inflated cap hit can be an inhibitor to acquriring players in the future??

So for example, Broberg and Holloway being paid 3.8 mill more a year than they were asking for could be an inhibitor of acquiring players in the future?

Reactions: EchoesoftheEighties

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Holy hell the Oilers got rid of Ceci and didn't match the Broberg offersheet. Wow, didn't think we had it in us to make two good decisions in a row.

Thank f***

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
So, EDM loses Ceci, Broberg, and Holloway, and gains Emberson, Podkolzin and cap space(too lazy to figure it out). If Kane does go on LTIR, that should give them room to add someone. That someone better be good, because right now EDM has lost more than they've gained, at least on paper. Hard to say anything definitively about 4 of the 5 players mentioned, as they are all still early in their careers, and their outcomes could range anywhere from AHL'er to NHL middle lineup players.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Oilers D looks pretty crap now. Ekholm is a year older and they can't afford any injuries.
gamble for sure going in with their current group but at least they’ll have cap space at the TDL to address concerns

They are a good enough team overall to get away with an unproven D man like Emberson playing a good amount of minutes imo

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Who says either player signs those or are available at that price.

I think young D like Broberg cost a pretty penny in trades after a playoffs he had.
Those were quite literally their asking prices. It was reported.

And if the alternative to edmonton is the 2nd+3rd+3rd they will get now, 2nd+2nd+3rd+3rd+3rd looks much better in comparison.

• Haha
Reactions: LivingRentFree
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad