Oilers CEO to hold press conference shortly

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I've laughed a lot at Chiarelli and poked a lot of fun at him and the Oilers this year, but Oilers fans now have my sympathy. It does sound like if this happens again next year, he's probably outta here.

They're not even firing Loser Todd? I was hoping to see that ''Elite'', ''Good'' coach fired.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
Hey Edmonton;

The 2018 playoffs have now begun... and if last night was any indication we're all in for a real treat... such refreshing new teams in it this year too.

Maybe press conferences and such can wait until their over?

Same goes for you too Ottawa and Montreal.

We've got all summer to piss and moan. Let's just try and enjoy this.

hoove17

Oct 29, 2015
I have refuted your point. You cannot say our management groups are doing badly, you can only point to the past and say they didn't win the cup. Look at the present, can you seriously say with a straight face that this management group is doing a bad job?
[mod]
At no point have I said anything about the Maple Leafs management doing a bad job. I simply stated that I would wait to declare Toronto, Winnipeg and Calgary (wait...how the **** do the flames get included in that group?) a management success until they've actually accomplished anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I guess McLellan still isn't off the hook though.

I guess not.

Fire him, he benefits from stacked rosters and players like Thornton, Marleau, McDavid, etc. I've broken my breastbone and both knuckles from beating my chest so hard in preaching to Sharks fans how he wasn't really a good head coach at all. I'm feeling somewhat vindicated by how horribly he's flopped in Edmonton.

Make no mistake about it though, Chiarelli should NOT outlast him in Edmonton. Fire Chiarelli first or both of them. There's no reason that Chiarelli should be able to stay on longer than McLellan.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Hey Edmonton;

The 2018 playoffs have now begun... and if last night was any indication we're all in for a real treat... such refreshing new teams in it this year too.

Maybe press conferences and such can wait until their over?

Same goes for you too Ottawa and Montreal.

We've got all summer to piss and moan. Let's just try and enjoy this.
Jealous that VAN had no press conferences?

having said that it was as useless a press conference as it gets. A whole lotta nothing.

Reactions: Johnny HFBOARDS

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I guess not.

Fire him, he benefits from stacked rosters and players like Thornton, Marleau, McDavid, etc. I've broken my breastbone and both knuckles from beating my chest so hard in preaching to Sharks fans how he wasn't really a good head coach at all. I'm feeling somewhat vindicated by how horribly he's flopped in Edmonton.

Make no mistake about it though, Chiarelli should NOT outlast him in Edmonton. Fire Chiarelli first or both of them. There's no reason that Chiarelli should be able to stay on longer than McLellan.
Looks like Chiarelli's "plan" has bought him another year in EDM.. Lets see what he does...
out the door if Oilers arent in the playoffs next year.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I guess not.

If chia gets tossed the new gm will hire a new coach

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
Jealous that VAN had no press conferences?

having said that it was as useless a press conference as it gets. A whole lotta nothing.

I suppose it's just the accumulation of so much drama around the league on the board today.

Teams on the outside looking in should have gag orders until it's over. First day of the Playoffs and Melnyk is airing his Karlsson negotiations out in the media.

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
Did Chia not have a plan this season?

It was to downgrade a few roster spots, ignore vital injuries, ignore the possibility of regression in certain players, not use cap space, ride one goalie, not upgrade the team in anyway and waste the final year of one of the greatest phenom's in NHL history ELC.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
At no point have I said anything about the Maple Leafs management doing a bad job. I simply stated that I would wait to declare Toronto, Winnipeg and Calgary (wait...how the **** do the flames get included in that group?) a management success until they've actually accomplished anything.

Ok you chimed in on a debate about how all Canadian teams are poorly managed. I'm not declaring us Champions, I'm just pointing out that 3 of the Canadian teams are in solid hands. I included the Flames because they have a solid foundation, of course they have room to improve.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
It's not just the management, it's the fact you haven't won yet. No one has in Canada. Don't you care about the cup drought?

Yeah but I'm not going to blame this current group for that, they have done almost everything right to make us perennial contenders, which is how Cups get won.

You want to crap on Burke or Nonis, go for it, but our current group and Winnipeg's have run our teams well.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Yeah but I'm not going to blame this current group for that, they have done almost everything right to make us perennial contenders, which is how Cups get won.

You want to crap on Burke or Nonis, go for it, but our current group and Winnipeg's have run our teams well.
Winnipeg is just making the playoffs again.
Ok you chimed in on a debate about how all Canadian teams are poorly managed. I'm not declaring us Champions, I'm just pointing out that 3 of the Canadian teams are in solid hands. I included the Flames because they have a solid foundation, of course they have room to improve.
The Flames have won 4 playoff series since 1993.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Winnipeg is just making the playoffs again.
The Flames have won 4 playoff series since 1993.
Yup but both have good teams. Obviously Calgary still has work to do yet but it would be pretty surprising if the Jets miss any time soon.

Using the Cup alone as a metric is not very objective. It's the hardest Championship to win in sports and also a handful of teams have had it tied up lately. By that metric most GM's are bad which seems unlikely. If your team is never in the playoffs that is another conversation.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Yup but both have good teams. Obviously Calgary still has work to do yet but it would be pretty surprising if the Jets miss any time soon.

Using the Cup alone as a metric is not very objective. It's the hardest Championship to win in sports and also a handful of teams have had it tied up lately. By that metric most GM's are bad which seems unlikely. If your team is never in the playoffs that is another conversation.
We'll see in 5 years.

TheStroker

Jun 13, 2012
USA
I'll admit, it was kind of a sweet justice to see the Oilers take such a step back this season after an off-season of non-stop cup contender talk. But at some point, as a human being, I have to have some kind of sympathy to this situation. I've said it before and I'll say it again; Oiler fans are BY FAR the most loyal fans in the league and possible North American sports. To sell out their arena game after game, after year after year of this crap is completely amazing to me.

It's a damn shame to see a superstar like McDavid have his prime years and ELC completely wasted by incompetence like this. I know he just signed a big 8 year contract. But I kid you not, I can absolutely see him demanding a trade if this lasts another couple seasons. I hope it doesn't come to that. But he's a player who deserves better then this, wants to win, and I don't see him being accepting of this situation for too much longer.

Reactions: mouz135

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
So the Oilers manage to piss away the best player on Earth's ELC and heads don't roll? Where's the accountability? Add Bob Nicholson to the list along with MacT, Lowe and Chia pet on execs that need to go.

Nicholson took the job to make some good $$$ after years of leading Hockey Canada (probably made some good money but nothing crazy due to being a gov't employee)

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Best way to recap both Chia and Nicholson pressers in 10 words .......um nothing um nothing um nothing um nothing um nothing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad