Proposal: Oilers bring back KOSTIN !!!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Oilers don’t have a spot for Kostin. If Kane is on LTIR to start the season then likely Lavoie is getting an opportunity. They certainly don’t need to give up draft capital to make a trade work for a guy with a 2M cap hit who would be sitting in the PB almost exclusively unless injuries pile up.

Reactions: McSuper

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
Edmonton
Why would sharks take on Ceci?

Your team is the new cap dumping grounds now that the Coyotes are gone, get used to it.

Why would you even care about having to take on Ceci's contract. His contract expires next July. He's better than Matt Benning, are you worried about him blocking some RD prospect?

Reactions: McDoused

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Your team is the new cap dumping grounds now that the Coyotes are gone, get used to it.

Why would you even care about having to take on Ceci's contract. His contract expires next July. He's better than Matt Benning, are you worried about him blocking some RD prospect?
well this is a dumb post.

I hope he’s better than Benning. He’s paid more than double. No reason to trade someone younger, cheaper, and showed promise last year for a cap dump.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Nope. Do not need. I loved his energy, but he wasn't the best fit - he scored a few goals in bunches, but he would be our 13th or 14th forward right now.

Why would sharks take on Ceci?
Because he's an upgrade on what you have.

I hope he’s better than Benning. He’s paid more than double. No reason to trade someone younger, cheaper, and showed promise last year for a cap dump.
Ceci isn't a cap dump. He's a serviceable NHL defenseman.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Ceci + a mid pick for Klim and Benning!
Unless that pick is a 2nd round pick, I'm not biting.

I would care about taking Ceci's contract on based on what the ask is. I'd rather see what we have in Kostin than eat the suck we'd get with Ceci. Ceci is not some meaningful upgrade on Benning even if Benning comes back and is worse after injury.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I honestly don't see how trading Ceci helps the Oilers. Despite what some think of him you aren't exactly going to replace him for those dollars.

Now if cap space was needed to help upgrade then so be it, but I just don't see where we are getting the additional cap space to upgrade on him at this point either.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I honestly don't see how trading Ceci helps the Oilers. Despite what some think of him you aren't exactly going to replace him for those dollars.

Now if cap space was needed to help upgrade then so be it, but I just don't see where we are getting the additional cap space to upgrade on him at this point either.
At this point, it won't. It's just the cap space. Despite how much we dump on him, Ceci isn't an awful defenseman, we just need an upgrade. An upgrade is likely not out there, and if it was, we don't have the cap space to really make a move for that player anyway at this time. Just keep him, unless we need to move him for cap space, and if we need to move him for cap space, most seem to agree that he isn't a negative value asset that we would need to pay someone to take.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Nope. Do not need. I loved his energy, but he wasn't the best fit - he scored a few goals in bunches, but he would be our 13th or 14th forward right now.

Because he's an upgrade on what you have.

Ceci isn't a cap dump. He's a serviceable NHL defenseman.
That’s one way to cope.

spaghtti

Oct 13, 2013
Imagine thinking you can ice a player with a 500k cap hit

Maybe because that might’ve been what he was owed at the deadline, you cannot go below league min.
Nope, missed the target!
A team can retain 50% of $1 million dollar contract at the begining of the season and the acquiring team will only owe that player 50% ($500,000 yes below minimum salary) Because the original team is still paying the other 50%. The player doesn't miss out on any money

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Assuming this is the TDL and the 3rd is upped to a 2nd, it's realistic. No chance a team is paying $500k for a 6th.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Good for the Oil. They should have never gotten rid of Kostin in the first place. He was very good for them the first time around.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Sad when a trade proposal fails immediately because the OP doesn’t get stuff.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

I mean, the Oilers got a recent top-10 pick for their last HF-designated “cap dump”.

Imagine thinking you can ice a player with a 500k cap hit

Maybe because that might’ve been what he was owed at the deadline, you cannot go below league min.

There’s a lot of confidence in this post.

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I mean, the Oilers got a recent top-10 pick for their last HF-designated “cap dump”.

There’s a lot of confidence in this post.

If you can find a time on a cap website that showed a cap hit anything lower, than league minimum, feel free to swing the image on by.

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
Other trade ......

EDM; Kostin (3rd team retains $1M)

SJS; Ceci

3rd Team; 3rd/4th round pick (retaining $1M)
You really think some third team will be willing to spend a million dollars for a (presumably) very late third or very late fourth round pick? Maybe (but probably not) for a (very late) second.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
You really think some third team will be willing to spend a million dollars for a (presumably) very late third or very late fourth round pick? Maybe (but probably not) for a (very late) second.
It has happened multiple times. 1M isn’t a lot of a team has cap room.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
I loved Kostin while he was here, but there doesn't seem to be a place for him in the lineup at his price point. He seems to genuinely like the city and the team, but good for him on getting paid. Hopefully in the off-season, they can re-visit.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I like Kostin but the Oilers don't really have enough of a role for him at this point.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Depending on how his year goes and with Perry/Ryan/Brown/Skinner up after next year, he could be a good option for a bottom 6 role. If he continues to break out like he did with the Sharks, then he should go out and get paid again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad