Post-Game Talk: Oilers are good at shootouts now?

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Haha, I mean you can expect a save when you leave a guy alone in front with loads of time but you're gonna be disappointed a helluva lot. If the player executes (as he did last night) it's about as stoppable as goal 4.

I don't expect a save there all of the time, I expect it some of the time. Skinner gives it to us never, and that's a huge problem.

Teams, even elite defensive teams, give up grade A scoring chances. Edmonton played about as good of a defensive game as you can reasonably expect in front of Skinner yesterday and he still gave up 4 goals.

Dieseloil

Jul 31, 2016
The league when Vegas wins.

Attachments

• IMG_1221.png
    IMG_1221.png
    299.9 KB · Views: 4

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yay!
Forgive me for not celebrating more after blowing a late 2 goal lead to a team that played the night before.

The tying goal should never have happened due to a BLATANT no call on McDavid at the other end a few seconds before. Of course it was Vegas though, so no call was made. We were the better team, by far, for the vast majority of the game. The Win O'Meter had us at 90% or so. MoneyPuck.com We had 3 more xGF than Vegas, lol.

Reactions: subnet and Oilhawks

mcdingdong

Mar 21, 2019
I don't expect a save there all of the time, I expect it some of the time. Skinner gives it to us never, and that's a huge problem.

Teams, even elite defensive teams, give up grade A scoring chances. Edmonton played about as good of a defensive game as you can reasonably expect in front of Skinner yesterday and he still gave up 4 goals.
Dude. I said if the player executes (which he did). He was allowed to change the angle by 4 bloody feet and he elevated the puck. No goalie in the league is stopping that. Give your collective heads a shake.

I have been railing against our goaltending all year but last night is about about a dozen games down the 'poor outings' list.

Reactions: bucks_oil

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Maaaaan the Skinner comments in here are hilarious. So many people caught up in stats and not watching the actual plays.
Goal 1: Stone makes a huge effort despite being battled for space pretty hard and gets a fortunate tip that goes in off of Ekholm's ass.
Goal 2: abysmal coverage off of a faceoff (both wingers shoot, dmen are at goal line and boards on the faceoff so the wingers can't shoot in that situation). Turns into a 1v1 with time and space less than 10 feet out, lots of players will make a good play and often score in that situation.
Goal 3: probably the most stoppable but still a quick shot off of a broken play through a screen.
Goal 4: LOL. Screamer backdoor pass 2 feet off the ice that the guy gets a stick on. 1/100 play.

Look, we played well last night but, as has been the case most of the season thus far, we didn't get some bounces. Team is coming together, Skinner included. Let's be happy!

The goal is to beat teams like Vegas in the playoffs ... Skinner can't get it done.

Vegas barely generated anything last night, was outplayed the entire night, and still got 4 goals past this guy.

How is that gonna work when their A game is on and Hill is in net?

I'm more than done with this crap Skinner/Campbell tandem. They are not a tandem for a contending team and they've gone out of their way to show that.

The only question now should be if this team makes the playoffs who will be the new starting goaltender because it's going to have to be something a heckuva lot better than what's here now.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Skinner sucks, the faster people and the organization realizes it the better the oilers are.

This goaltending tandem sucks and so does the management group that entrusted two mediocre goalies to have the keys for a contending team.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
This goaltending tandem sucks and so does the management group that entrusted two mediocre goalies to have the keys for a contending team.
You literally have to go back to cujo for when this team had a genuine all star goalie that could steal playoff games.

Smith koskinen Campbell skinner will all throw away games with an awful goal at the worst possible time.

Reactions: WaitingForUser

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Skinner is a perfectly fine backup goalie to start ~30 games. He’s a young goalie still figuring things out. I’d be happy to have him, even at his price point.

But you can’t do that while paying Jack f***ing Campbell $5m. It was a massive disservice to both Skinner and the team signing that goalie to be our starter.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You literally have to go back to cujo for when this team had a genuine all star goalie that could steal playoff games.

Smith koskinen Campbell skinner will all throw away games with an awful goal at the worst possible time.

I'm pretty sure Roloson did it, he stole series' for the Oilers not just games in 2006.

Even in 2017 ... Talbot won the team several games, we were not good to start either the San Jose or Anaheim series, he was the main reason it was 1-1 in the SJ series and 2-0 Oilers in both of those series. I would say Talbot should have been an All-Star that year but the format was different.

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

I'd argue Roloson stole us a few games in the 2006 Playoff run, because his numbers were stellar (.927 Svg 2.33 GAA). But yeah, Cujo was definitely the best one.

Reactions: Oilhawks

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I'd argue Roloson stole us a few games in the 2006 Playoff run, because his numbers were stellar (.927 Svg 2.33 GAA). But yeah, Cujo was definitely the best one.

If I were playing in today's NHL, I'd take prime Roloson over Cujo for sure. Cujo was a riverboat gambler with excellent anticipation and reflexes, but he was not technically sound... he certainly had a much longer prime, but I don't think his game would adapt as well to today's NHL.

Roloson for his part was a student of the game, he was only two years younger than Cujo, so he grew up in brown leather pads doing skate saves and two-pad stacks too, but when the new gear came out he entirely changed his game to a more modern pro-fly style (which has been proven time and again to be better) and that allowed him to really start his career as a starter in his early 30's.

Now if you had an 18-year old Cujo vs Roloson and the time to teach them both you choose Cujo 100 times, but at peak, given the way they were playing Roloson was the better goalie IMO.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

I still think Games 5-7 against the Avalanche in 1998 was the best goaltending performance I have ever seen. If remember correctly I believe game 6 and 7 were shutouts and he only allowed 1 in Game 5 while standing on his head.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I still think Games 5-7 against the Avalanche in 1998 was the best goaltending performance I have ever seen. If remember correctly I believe game 6 and 7 were shutouts and he only allowed 1 in Game 5 while standing on his head.
That is a pretty remarkable performance across 3 games.

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

Oh I'm not denying that. But if we are talking about the last goalie to steal games in the Playoffs, I'd say Roloson was the last one, not Cujo.

Reactions: K1984

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
before tommy salo got clapped in the olympics he stole numerous games for us

Reactions: RegDunlop

PositiveCashFlow

the construction could be better
Jul 10, 2007
We don't have cap space to do anything player-wise but we don't have an admin cap like in the CFL. We're stuck with the goalies we have. Maybe try something...else?

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
A few thoughts....

1. Vinny D looks night and day from last year. I don't know what he did over the summer, but he improved in 3 huge areas- his skating looks miles better, his first pass looks much better, and he's (so far) cut down on the egregious mistakes that he would make from time to time last year. I wasn't fully sold last year, but as a tough #6, I like him in that spot.

2. Games like last night is when Bouchard looks like a superstar. He was everywhere, and made great decisions on both sides of the puck. I wonder how he can have games, or even stretches like he played yesterday, and have other games where he looks like he's never seen his side of the blue line before. He's still 24, which is young in this league for Dmen.

3. Nurse is playing incredible. He gets a lot of hate, so it's only fair we give him his flowers when he plays well. On a similar note, Ceci has quietly had himself a good season. In fact, I would say that Nurse-Ceci have been our most consistent Dmen all season- but now that Bouchard and Ekholm (who was injured and missed preseason btw) are rounding into form, things are looking better.

4. I'm impressed with the gumption our bottom 6 plays with, especially Hamblin, Erne, and Gagner. That being said, a big part of the success of the bottom 6 last year was a pure shooter like Kostin. Guys like Mcleod and Foegele are great at getting pucks in deep, cycling, forechecking, etc. They're missing someone who can snipe the odd goal. That alone would heavily improve our bottom 6.

5. In any other season, that horrendous start would have sunken the season. As it stands, we're 5 points out of a wildcard spot with 3/4 of the season to make that up. After that bad of a start, I'll take that all day long.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
People need to cool it on McLeod. His brother was the same as him. Fast but no hands and finish. Good in certain areas and meh in others. The Devils stuck with him and are now reaping the benefits of an average but effective player

Lot of McLeod hate in this PGT yet he went 77.8% in FO last nite, and is over 50% on the year.

Stick with him imo and he will be a useful bottom 6 player
I sure hope so, because the way he's played this year, sticking to the perimeter and making some costly defensive missed coverages have added to our misery. And his lack of any production reflects that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad