Confirmed with Link: Oilers acquire Roby Jarventie and 4th round pick for Xavier Bourgualt and Jake Chiasson

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
Is Jarventie the closest prospect we have to borderline NHL player? He is 22 and played 7 games last year. He doesn't have to set the world on fire. If he replaced Holloways 9pts in 38 games pace from last year at 900k, it allows the oilers to use their assets to improve the defence.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Is Jarventie the closest prospect we have to borderline NHL player? He is 22 and played 7 games last year. He doesn't have to set the world on fire. If he replaced Holloways 9pts in 38 games pace from last year at 900k, it allows the oilers to use their assets to improve the defence.
it’s him or Lavoie. Savoie a little behind maybe.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

Jarventie doesn't really replace Holloway's role. He's more of a top 6 or bust type vs. someone, whose game will translate to the bottom 6. He's also still coming back from knee surgery and will likely need the 1st half of the year to get back up to speed.

I'd imagine the plan is for him to step into Skinner's spot next year, with Savoie taking over Arvidsson's the year after. Lavoie, Berezkin, and Petrov will also be nipping at their heels.

The Oilers farm system looks light on immediate 3rd liners, and that's where losing Holloway sucks. But the good news is replacing middle-6 talent isn't a herculean task. A good example is Vancouver who have a quality bottom 6 which they rebuilt in 1 offseason and features a total of 1* homegrown talent.
(*will be zero if Hoglander starts in the top 6 over Joshua)

Last edited:

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I wonder if acquiring Jarventie played into Holloways decision to sign the offer sheet.

Same age, with both putting up just slightly less than a PPG in the AHL. Yes, they play different styles, but ultimately both are gunning for the same spot in the top 6 over the coming seasons. Mix in Savoie, who has more upside than McLeod and Bourgault, I wonder if Dylan was concerned about getting passed over and pigeonholed as a 3rd liner.

He's likely still locked into that same fate whether here or in St.Louis, but he's getting paid double for it.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I wonder if acquiring Jarventie played into Holloways decision to sign the offer sheet.

Same age, with both putting up just slightly less than a PPG in the AHL. Yes, they play different styles, but ultimately both are gunning for the same spot in the top 6 over the coming seasons. Mix in Savoie, who has more upside than McLeod and Bourgault, I wonder if Dylan was concerned about getting passed over and pigeonholed as a 3rd liner.

He's likely still locked into that same fate whether here or in St.Louis, but he's getting paid double for it.
It would be the other way around. Don't you think?

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton

I kind of assume Jarventie's year will be a write off due to the recovery of the knee injury. After seeing Connor Brown struggle so much I figure it's best to drop my expectations to near nothing. Hopefully he shows something in the spring. He's going to have a hard year recovering let alone make the NHL. He could walk next year potentially and that's why I think Ottawa let him go.

They may have had different injuries for all I know though. I hear knee and think.. see you next year.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I kind of assume Jarventie's year will be a write off due to the recovery of the knee injury. After seeing Connor Brown struggle so much I figure it's best to drop my expectations to near nothing. Hopefully he shows something in the spring. He's going to have a hard year recovering let alone make the NHL. He could walk next year potentially and that's why I think Ottawa let him go.

They may have had different injuries for all I know though. I hear knee and think.. see you next year.
Brown tore his ACL no? Jarventie had a bad knee but I don’t think he had a serious injury. Could be wrong.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I can’t find what was wrong with the knee but it’s been a nagging injury the last couple of years that got to the point of needing major knee surgery.

Hopefully he can start hitting his stride near the deadline and we’ll be able to potentially add some youth to the lineup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad