Confirmed with Link: Oilers acquire Roby Jarventie and 4th round pick for Xavier Bourgualt and Jake Chiasson

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Another JJ move out of nowhere, the anti-Holland in that respect and I say it in a good way.

This kid seems like a better fit on Savoie's wing (assuming that's where he starts) because he apparently shoots more. I liked Bourgault but I watched some of him in the AHL last season and he just seemed lost offensively, very uninvolved so not sure what happened to his confidence but it cratered.

In any event, every situation is different but Jarventie has better AHL numbers than Bourgault and has improved every year so maybe they got him on the upswing and got a 4th to boot so, sure, why not.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
That 2003 draft was my worst nightmare. Turned elation into disappointment when the Oil wiffed on a shot at Getlaf or Parise. I kept an open mind about Pouliot though he was most memorable for being rocked by Phaneuf in the Top Prospect Game. That wishful withered with my first live viewing in pre-season where it was clear Pouliot was not going to be a player with poor skating, slender frame and soft finesse game.

Fun memories of HF chats of old with Lowtide who fancifully imagined Pouliot as a late bloomer Jean Beliveau. Failing huge in the legendary 2003 draft was a defining moment for the Oil organization.

Oil held onto Pouliot until the value fell out to a trade for a late pick. Jeff Jackson is at least now pro-active in course correcting on stalled prospects. Borgeault gets a critical fresh start and more runway in a rebuild organization. Oil get a bigger sized project who can shoot... though hard to see a fit on this mature Cup window roster. The 4th pick is likely the most helpful value.

This is so Lowetide. Love the guy, but not sure there has ever been a player under the age of 25 he didn't want to hang on to until the bitter end no matter how much "this guy sucks" was screaming everyone in the face.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Shades of the 2003 draft with that one. Trade down, throw away the pick acquired to trade down, then pick the worst possible option with several players around him that would have been a better pick no matter which one.
Oilers drafting, the gift that keeps on f***ing up.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I have some hope that JJ will be aggressive in looking at every opportunity to improve the prospect pool. Shopping for undrafted players from Juniors, NCAA and Europe can help to fill in draft spots that the team flips in trades.

Adding Savoie out of the blue gives the Oilers a much better prospect pool. Flipping the 2025 or 26 pick for O'Rielly also helps. That additional year of development could be significant if they need cheap replacements in two or three years.

I still am curious what the plans are for Lavoie. I really think he could be a piece that fits this team. But what is his role this year??

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Tons of prospects go through waivers every year in training camp. Lots of them make the nhl. Just because teams don’t want to use an nhl roster spot on a guy doesn’t mean they have no value.
He’s saying he’s surprised Lavoie wasn’t traded instead and I’m saying it’s because he’s not worth anything on the trade market. Which he’s not.

I’m not saying he doesn’t have any value to the Oilers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Great..
Now let's do Rodrigue+ Lachance for Askarov next

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Like that JJ is cleaning up the prospect pool. Made notes about how having a proper pipeline is going to be a necessity going forward and looks like he just isn't talk.

Whether or not Jarventie is any sort of answer is TBD, but it's clear the organization wasn't thrilled with Bourgault's development.

And while Jarventie seems to have some knocks on him at least he has developed. Bourgault has knocks on him and has been stagnant.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Seems like an interesting prospect, once again hitting some of the target markers laid out by Kalle Larsson -- speed, IQ. Has a good shot, a plus skater, and size. Injury concerns at this point. Apparently also rather lazy / unmotivated defensively. His point production has steadily risen down in Belleville for OTT, so I'm again a bit puzzled as to why they let this player go. He's already had parts of 3 seasons with Belleville in terms of development time (again though, hampered by injury the last two). So, a pretty decent prospect return with a shortened timeline due to already going through another team's development program.

I always had time for Bourgault, I remember watching him in pre-season and being intrigued because he was a shifty player with some good, subtle play making and finding space. Unfortunate he didn't develop as planned. Hopefully the fresh start with OTT will help him.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Yeah Coffey was apparently screaming at them to take Wyatt as he coached him and saw what he would become

Bet this fail is what got Wright kicked into the sun as soon as Jackson and Coffey started getting a larger role. Just a brutal error and we likely win a cup this year if we had Johnston on ELC playing with McDavid or Drai. There was a story on nhl.com about how Dallas discovered Johnston and actually interviewed Coffey about him, feeling like they found a hidden gem. We probably had even better info being given to us from Coffey and passed.

Finalstep to try to erase this huge error with this trade. Hopefully new prospect pans out.

Last edited:

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
I like Bourgault but Jarventie seems farther along as a prospect. Good upgrade in value.
Not thrilled about Jarventie but Bourgault hasn’t been developing his offensive skills in the AHL and quite frankly the Oilers need to go all in NOW to win a cup, do whatever it takes! I fear though that we are dwelling a lot on the offence when the defense could still use a little bit more upgrading!

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yeah Coffey was apparently screaming at them to take Wyatt as he coached him and saw what he would become
Who would've thought all this time we had an OBC that actually brought value to the organization.

I mean 8 months ago most of us probably would've hated to hear that he was giving advice on anything, but now it makes you wonder why he was ignored and put in one of those mickey mouse roles that was essentially just a sit in the owners box when he felt like enjoying a game.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Seems like a win with how much XB fell off last year, but I really know nothing about Jarventie besides looking at his stats. And despite being drafted a year apart, they’re actually less than 2 months different in age, so it’s not like we’re getting a guy who’s way older

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Everyone's waiting for the cap space move, and they're dumping under performing prospects. Sad that the Bourgualt situation ending so soon on such a flat note(especially considering the options they passed over), new management team must really not have liked what they saw from him last year.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
20 points in 22 games; 6'3, & 210lb as per the AHL profile; can line up as centre or LW, and still 21 YO (for another 3 weeks). Safe to say I'm intrigued.
Even if he's not overly physical, he adds some much-needed size to Bakerfields top 9.

I do believe Bourgault has a higher gear than what he showed last season, but he's also in that awkward spot where he's the middle/vanilla build between the other 3 prominent RHS prospects (Lavoie, Savoie, and Petrov).

Mix in Griffith and Weight; plus Wakely, Stefan, and Stonehouse also turning pro, and the team needed to prune it's RW/RHS depth chart.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Who would've thought all this time we had an OBC that actually brought value to the organization.

I mean 8 months ago most of us probably would've hated to hear that he was giving advice on anything, but now it makes you wonder why he was ignored and put in one of those mickey mouse roles that was essentially just a sit in the owners box when he felt like enjoying a game.
Haha--I said the same thing about Coffey but he has definitely added something.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

OBC members sucking went from like 95% accuracy to 92% :)

Hopefully we finally filtered out all the turds, at the price of almost 2 decades of suffering.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad