Post-Game Talk: Oilers 2 Jets 1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rawg

Its Rog
Jun 20, 2010
Edmonton
I'm pretty sure Yak could accidentally get 115 points if he played with a 200 point McDavid all season.

I'd think a guy as a player who benefited playing with a generational talent would be good at spotting someone who is not... Unfortunately for anyone who wants to argue with him about it, all the stats regarding Yakupov back him up..

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Another aspect of the salary cap too is you can't bury a guy like Eberle on the 3rd line if he's making 6 million. That's how you get into Horcoff territory of an unmovable contract.

There were reports that teams were talking to Edmonton about retaining salary on a player....I wonder who that may have been? :sarcasm:

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Another aspect of the salary cap too is you can't bury a guy like Eberle on the 3rd line if he's making 6 million. That's how you get into Horcoff territory of an unmovable contract.

There were reports that teams were talking to Edmonton about retaining salary on a player....I wonder who that may have been? :sarcasm:

And why would you bury the top scorer of team over the last 5 years on the 3rd line? How much do 60+ point 30 goal scorers make in the league, even 25 goals ?

Sheesh.

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
I actualy think Eberles has improved the past 2 games compete-wise but he still needs to get better.

Yup. He had a few decent games since McDavid's return, but like you say his compete level is lacking.

If Chia continues to Bruinize this team, how can any of you expect Eberle to be an Oiler next fall? I know the Eberle haters think he won't get much value back, frankly I think he still gives us an excellent chance to get a top paring dman back while keeping our lottery pick in hand.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
And why would you bury the top scorer of team over the last 5 years on the 3rd line? How much do 60+ point 30 goal scorers make in the league, even 25 goals ?

Sheesh.

Settle down rub a dub.

I'm just saying even though Ebs has not been scoring lately his contract still guarantees him gravy minutes.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
a Win. These are nice

Hells yeah they are
RmNgrNW.gif

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Plays with Letestu? How many points has Eberle had this season with Letestu as his centre? Nice, round number.
A joke of a comeback if I ever saw one. Yakupov is not better than Letestu. Or Korpse.
Or any of the other guys he gets played with cause coach thinks that's his rightful place in the lineup based on his ability.
And just to be clear, you think they're good analysts because their viewpoint correlates with yours?
So yes you do think that. Huh, good to know.
My post history will bear out the fact that I like Rob Brown's input on the post game show. I certainly acknowledge that he is a better judge of NHL talent than me.
It is a little ironic. I wonder how much of his description of Yak describes him back in the day when he was playing with Lemieux.
All the better to be able to identify the weak link that is Yakupov. Takes one to know one and all that.
I'm pretty sure Yak could accidentally get 115 points if he played with a 200 point McDavid all season.
Extremely doubtful.
So this is about me and not Rob Brown? Why did you post a Rob Brown quote? I'm pretty sure you brought Rob Brown into this. It's not as if people are unaware of when the players make mistakes. Brown keys in on some and ignores others.
I'd like to do you the courtesy of a reply, but I have no idea what this has to do with my posts any more than I understand your thoughts on crashing all the Yugos into the Camaro.
Just to be clear, water, glass, ziploc bag.
Just to be clear, nobody cares about your bath time rituals.

LockDown21

May 24, 2015
Typical. Oilers win and it's the yak sucks PGT. Wonder how the night goes if Connor buries the breakaway yak sent him in on early.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Typical. Oilers win and it's the yak sucks PGT. Wonder how the night goes if Connor buries the breakaway yak sent him in on early.

Likely Yak was lucky that Connor bailed him out on that horrible clearing attempt. :laugh:

EDIT: That was definitely sarcasm. It was a nice pass indeed.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
Hate to be a wet blanket, but do we win 3 more games this year without Davidson/Klefbom? We are down to one legit NHL defenseman...

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Putting McDavid with Korpikoski is dumb.

Really happy with Talbot's play as I'm sure we all are.

**** sakes about Davidson. Probably out for the year from what I understand. He'll be back next year though, hope it's nothing too major.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Were 4-1-1 in our last 6, and even with one game allowing 6 goals against we have only allowed 13 goals total in that span.

Going to be tough sledding the rest of the way with the schedule and our defense but I'm hoping we can at least finish the year with over 30 wins and around 70-75 points. That would be a 6~ win, and 18~ point improvement over last year, with a very broken roster seemingly all season. Seems pretty achievable to win at least 4 and pick up 11 points in our last 14 games right? If Talbot continues to play like this and we keep up this new style of game I think we can even finish the year better.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
Hate to be a wet blanket, but do we win 3 more games this year without Davidson/Klefbom? We are down to one legit NHL defenseman...

Depends who we are putting in to fill the void. Nikitin would mean pure tank mode but I could see a prospect coming in and playing his ass off to make the most of their opportunity. I wanna see Musil up here personally.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
It's pretty much zero chance with the Pouliot and Davidson injuries being season enders in all likelihood and who knows if Klefbom even comes back this season?

Sorry, should clarify, I meant the whole team healthy, ever. Obviously this season, no chance.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Depends who we are putting in to fill the void. Nikitin would mean pure tank mode but I could see a prospect coming in and playing his ass off to make the most of their opportunity. I wanna see Musil up here personally.

Musil is way too slow IMO. He is about as slow as or even slower than Clendening. Musil is solid defensively but he would have to play way too safe (to make up for his foot speed) allowing the other teams to utilize a lot of extra space on 2 on 2s and 3 on 3s.

I suggest... Osterle!

Lord Quas

The unseen
Aug 9, 2006
I think they keep Yak till next year. His contract is cheap, he has the tools he just has to start "getting it" and next year will be his do or die season. He's getting there, I see him breaking up scoring chances in the defensive zone and getting into scoring positions in the offensive zone. He's working hard, he just needs to get his confidence up, get a little smarter and quicker with his decisions and not grip the stick so tight when he gets that puck on it.

On another note man how about Maroon. I've always liked him, he's a big aggressive guy with real soft hands. He compliments guys like Hall and Draisaitl so well.

I just watched the reply again and was thinking the same thing. Nice to have someone go to Smyth's office, Maroon's got big body and some hands. Really hoping this continues.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Were 4-1-1 in our last 6, and even with one game allowing 6 goals against we have only allowed 13 goals total in that span.

Going to be tough sledding the rest of the way with the schedule and our defense but I'm hoping we can at least finish the year with over 30 wins and around 70-75 points. That would be a 6~ win, and 18~ point improvement over last year, with a very broken roster seemingly all season. Seems pretty achievable to win at least 4 and pick up 11 points in our last 14 games right? If Talbot continues to play like this and we keep up this new style of game I think we can even finish the year better.

Agreed. People will laugh at our optimism ("Oiler fans have been saying this for a decade"). But, the culture and make up of the team really is changing. Finally.

I think guys like Ebs (for the right price Pouliot, Hall?) are gone at the draft. Not because he's a bad hockey player, but because he doesn't fit the Chia mold of player he wants going forward. I think an Eastern team could place huge value on what Eberle brings to the table.

If we can have a nearly 20 point improvement, that's progress. Solidified our #1 goalie of the future. Stockpiled draft picks that can be used, or be a form of currency in draft week trades. Found a diamond in the rough with Davidson (he'll rehab his knee and be back next year, this isn't the old days where a knee injury was a death sentence for a career). McJesus got his first year under his belt and is as advertised. He is a very, very special talent. We're so blessed to have him.

Name McDavid captain before next season and continue to build around him and move parts of the old core for legitimate NHL D-man and it's hard not to be optimistic. In Chia we trust.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Thank goodness for Talbot, we only have one decent goalie again.

I really don't get this comment?

First off, we ONLY have one decent goalie? The last 6 years our problem has been NO decent goalies. Talbot seems to be the best we've had since Roli.

And secondly, Brossoit is doing just fine as a backup. He had 2 amazing starts, then a crappy 3rd game. He's a rookie, but he will grow quickly. Might as well get some growing pains out in a season that doesnt matter.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
Musil is way too slow IMO. He is about as slow as or even slower than Clendening. Musil is solid defensively but he would have to play way too safe (to make up for his foot speed) allowing the other teams to utilize a lot of extra space on 2 on 2s and 3 on 3s.

I suggest... Osterle!

Really doesn't matter too much to me. I just remember Musil's skating didn't look awful last year, I would say he did admirably. Oesterle looked good but at this point its time to start giving some at bats to see who is worth resigning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad