Post-Game Talk: Oilers 2 Jets 1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
Next season can't come fast enough.

I want Eberle gone, because he's painful to watch, and puts in schultz level efforts in the D zone. His physical and defensive play is embarrassing.

I wan't Yak gone. I like yak, and would love to have him here long term, but it's very clear after multiple coaches and seasons, that there is something wrong with the whole situation. I just want him gone so it's not something I even care about anymore. I do hope that if we do trade him, he blows up somewhere else though and becomes a 20+ goal scorer. He seems like a great kid.

I want Nikitin shot into the sun, along with clendening.

I want the oilers to start taking runs at the other teams skill guys. We have the bodies to do it. I'm tired of being the victims, and one game in philly doesn't change **** anymore.

I want 2 more top 4 Dmen. I don't care how good Davidson is, I do not want him in my top 4. I want him in the bottom pairing until the second game of the season when 3 of our top 4 Dmen get hurt, so we can have a real top 4 Dman step in.

I want Brossoit to get half the starts until the end of the year, so we can see what we have in him. Apparently when the kid has 1 bad game, he's already a bust on these boards..

I want Klowe and Mctavish to never even be mentioned in the same breath as the oilers again. It really pissed me off seeing that twitter segment with Lowe talking about the oilers in their outdoor game. How can these guys even show their faces on behalf of this team. It's a ****ing joke.

I want Nurse sent down so people can stop calling him a bust. The kid is being thrown to the ****ing wolves this year.

I want whoever the **** cursed us with the injury bug to lay off. You always know when an oiler injury is coming, because they start playing really well.

most of all, I just want the oilers to care half as much as we fans do.

Other than that, I'm totally happy with another oilers win.
I want you as oilers gm....good post.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Is he going to rubbish the player like that (knowing that he works for the rights holder) if he thinks the team has Yakupov in their plans going forward? Or if he thinks the team is hopeful or encouraged by progress made in Yakupov's game this season?
Is he privy to information we don't have?
Does he have the chance to watch the Oilers practice?

I'm not saying Brown is the final authority obviously.
But based on the questions above, and the man's credentials, his opinions certainly carry more weight than mine or yours or any other random board member.

I don't disagree with some of the stuff he says about Yak, but I hear him spew a lot of dumb **** as well. And I feel like he says it in a way to get attention instead of simply making his point in a constructive way.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Glenn Healy, Kelly Hrudey, Mike Johnson, Jeremy Roenick and PJ Stock all played in the NHL too. Frankly I don't care if he played in the NHL or not. It doesn't mean he's a good commentator or still has a good read on the game.
So just to be clear, you think that you have a better understanding of what a good hockey player looks like than any of those guys.

Does it shock you that Yakupov has a better ratio than any winger on the Oilers but Eberle?
Couldn't possibly be Eberle. Guy is 'painful to watch'.
Does it shock you that Yakupov is now below 0.5 PPG for his career? And on pace for one of his worst seasons ever?

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
wV8Bqu4.gif

Good game Tal-Bot

victor

Sep 6, 2003
Does it shock you that Yakupov is now below 0.5 PPG for his career? And on pace for one of his worst seasons ever?

Plays with Letestu? How many points has Eberle had this season with Letestu as his centre?

Nice, round number.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
So just to be clear, you think that you have a better understanding of what a good hockey player looks like than any of those guys.

And just to be clear, you think they're good analysts because their viewpoint correlates with yours?

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
Rob Brown. A man who scored a whack in this league and played with some of the best players the game has ever seen.
A guy who now makes his living following the Oilers and commenting on the games.

He's obviously not perfect, and prone to bias like the rest of us, but the best thing he could find to say about Yakupov was "I like Nail. I want him to succeed. I think the Oilers would be better if Nail was a better hockey player".

I wish that the Yakupov fanbase hadn't made this an Eberle vs Yakupov thing. I would be a lot more likely to be patient with Yakupov's utter failure to play NHL positional hockey if I didn't have to read a hundred posts saying well Hall this, Eberle that and RNH the other.

Tell me why Rob Brown after a couple of Hundred point season never actually managed to stay in the NHL?

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007

Just to be clear, PJ Stock and Glenn Healy, yes. Even Pierre Mcguire does and I have about as low of an opinion on him as you can get.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
You just can't help making it about someone else can you?

So this is about me and not Rob Brown? Why did you post a Rob Brown quote? I'm pretty sure you brought Rob Brown into this.

It's not as if people are unaware of when the players make mistakes. Brown keys in on some and ignores others.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
The only thing I know about Rob Brown as a player is him getting KO'd by Sylvain Lefebvre (hence the "Down Goes Brown" blog name) and being chased by Ron Hextall because he overcelebrated the 9th goal in a 9-3 game.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Okay game.

Really pisses me off that they had no physical answer all night to buff. He was running around all night.

Wins without mcdavid getting points is meh.

yeah, i care about mcdavid points more than i do about points in the standings at this point.... nice to win and all, don't get me wrong... i'm NOT in "tank mode", i want to win, even though it doesn't mean anything... in years past i wanted the draft pick, not this year (although we're gonna pick top-5 again anyhow, lol)

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I think they keep Yak till next year. His contract is cheap, he has the tools he just has to start "getting it" and next year will be his do or die season. He's getting there, I see him breaking up scoring chances in the defensive zone and getting into scoring positions in the offensive zone. He's working hard, he just needs to get his confidence up, get a little smarter and quicker with his decisions and not grip the stick so tight when he gets that puck on it.

On another note man how about Maroon. I've always liked him, he's a big aggressive guy with real soft hands. He compliments guys like Hall and Draisaitl so well.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Then there's no point to trade Eberle if that's the return you're going to get. You still need to score goals.

Eberle gets less heat because he can score 30 goals.

If Yakupov had a 30-30 season next year I doubt you'd hear as much about his turnovers, which I think have been fewer of late.

I get that but I don't see the chemistry between him and McDavid. I'm not turning this into an Eberle vs. Yak thing because it is no debate as to who the better player is but Eberle has to bring something to the table besides scoring goals (only 2 in the last 11 games btw). I'm saying that neither guy looks to fit with McDavid IMO.

Eberle has always had issues away from the puck but this season, his play seems especially indifferent and it's getting worse as the season goes along. For $6M, it's not good enough IMO and with lots of forward free agents to choose from, it's time to move on I think.

If you keep waiting for a premium return for Eberle, you're never going to deal him and run the risk of his value possibly decreasing. Maybe they can attach him to a more attractive asset to get the Dman they need but with him as the centerpiece, I just don't see it. It's time to sweep out the old guard and with Hall and RNH more important to team success, Eberle and his $6M is the asset to deal.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
I wasn't sure if Talbot was number 1 material earlier this year. I'm pleased that I was completely and totally wrong. He's looked so solid.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I get that but I don't see the chemistry between him and McDavid. I'm not turning this into an Eberle vs. Yak thing because it is no debate as to who the better player is but Eberle has to bring something to the table besides scoring goals (only 2 in the last 11 games btw). I'm saying that neither guy looks to fit with McDavid IMO.

Eberle has always had issues away from the puck but this season, his play seems especially indifferent and it's getting worse as the season goes along. For $6M, it's not good enough IMO and with lots of forward free agents to choose from, it's time to move on I think.

If you keep waiting for a premium return for Eberle, you're never going to deal him and run the risk of his value possibly decreasing. Maybe they can attach him to a more attractive asset to get the Dman they need but with him as the centerpiece, I just don't see it. It's time to sweep out the old guard and with Hall and RNH more important to team success, Eberle and his $6M is the asset to deal.

I actualy think Eberles has improved the past 2 games compete-wise but he still needs to get better.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I actualy think Eberles has improved the past 2 games compete-wise but he still needs to get better.

He's going to have to keep improving or I think he'll be traded sooner than later.

The team around him getting bigger and competing harder isn't going to hide him. It's going to make him stick out like a sore thumb.

Jun 9, 2011
Listing off the guys we were missing tonight and I completely forgot about Poo and Gryba. 2 more big bodies. Poo, Gryba, Nuge, Klef could have meant wins in those California games. We have the pieces, but they are in bits and pieces. (and now Davidson :( )

Rawg

Its Rog
Jun 20, 2010
Edmonton
Tell me why Rob Brown after a couple of Hundred point season never actually managed to stay in the NHL?

Tell me, why was Rob brown able to get those 100 point seasons and Yak cant break 35? Don't insult a guy for scoring a lot.. Rob had 4 or 5 PPG or near PPG seasons... he scored more points in 1 season then nail has in his career :/

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Yeah but his lack of compete is getting more exposed now that Chia has brought in guys who compete hard and has rid of the floaters. He doesn't need to be a defensive stalwart or be a big hitter but he needs to win a puck battle or two every now and then. He just doesn't battle hard enough and as a result, that line doesn't generate chances unless it's on the rush.

Look at Hall for instance, his engine is always on high and he battles hard for pucks. He might be a defensive liability at times and can be awful with the puck but he has a high compete level for the most part so his deficiencies aren't as glaring. When Eberle doesn't have the puck, he's not doing anything.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Tell me, why was Rob brown able to get those 100 point seasons and Yak cant break 35? Don't insult a guy for scoring a lot.. Rob had 4 or 5 PPG or near PPG seasons... he scored more points in 1 season then nail has in his career :/

I'm pretty sure Yak could accidentally get 115 points if he played with a 200 point McDavid all season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad