Proposal: Oiler Trades

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
That's fair. I forgot he was still signed for that long. I'd do your offer straight up for him in a heart beat. Would probably add another young guy as well tbh.
Oh ya if it was like a year or 2, maybe even 3 i wouldnt mind retaining, but 6 years is rough... specially for a team like anaheim who are a smaller market.

Reactions: TFHockey and McNuge

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
I figured Goligoski is done after this year. he is 36 years old and at the end of his $5 Million dollar contract. Barrie is a pretty decent replacement. Maybe Wild fans feel differently. Barrie did lead all defensemen in points last year.

Greenway is also in need of a contract at the end of the year. He is a big guy and a solid middle six winger.

That is a lot to give up but I did ask the Ducks to retain 50% on a long term contract. Gibson to me is a legit 1A starter.

If the Oilers are going to challenge for a cup, these moves might do it for them.

The Wild already have a Barrie-type player in their system who should be ready next year in Calen Addison. He'll also be on a ELC contract. They have absolutely 0 interest in Barrie.

Ducks won't retain 50% but I'd give away Holloway + 1st + Koskinen for him straight up.. I doubt the Ducks would do that and I have a feeling that offer has already been made and rejected. I bet the Ducks countered with 2 1sts + Holloway + Broberg/Samurokov + Koskinen which is too steep for my liking.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Just a few tweaks to the roster:

:sens

Kailer Yamamoto

:edmonton

Erik Brannstrom

:wild

Tyson Barrie

Jordan Greenway

:ducks

Oilers 1st 2022, Oilers 1st 2023, Dylan Holloway, Koskinen

John Gibson 50% retained

The Brannstrom/Yamamoto deal can only happen if the Barrie/Greenway deal happens (or if another Barrie deal happens), as we don't need Brannstrom rotting in the press box at the expense of a roster player. I'm not sure if we need Greenway, I like him, but isn't he a LW? We need a RW, I don't know if Greenway can play both wings or not. If he can, I'd probably do both of those deals.

A Gibson deal has been discussed for a long time. I think that's similar to the price tag with no retention to be honest. I don't think you can expect a team like the Ducks (rebuilding, non-hockey market) to pay half of the salary on such a long contract either. Take out Holloway from Edmonton and the salary retention from Anaheim and I'd do that deal. I would even add another pick, like the 2023 2nd rounder or something, or a lesser prospect than Holloway. 2 first round picks and our 3rd - 5th best prospect is really good value for Gibson.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Just a few tweaks to the roster:

:sens

Kailer Yamamoto

Erik Brannstrom

:wild

Tyson Barrie

Jordan Greenway

:ducks

Oilers 1st 2022, Oilers 1st 2023, Dylan Holloway, Koskinen

John Gibson 50% retained

I'd rather have Yamamoto than Brannstrom. Unless you have a major vacancy at PP QB then Brannstrom doesn't help much. The Oilers can run (not counting Barrie) Nurse and Bouchard on the PP.

The Wild would have no use for Barrie. If Greenway is really available then he'd be a great add for Edmonton, but you'd have to send the Wild something else.

Gibson has taken a big step back, he's worth a 1st, not three of them! He really hasn't played well lately and that has to be priced in.

LuckyDucky

Mar 18, 2015
I'd rather have Yamamoto than Brannstrom. Unless you have a major vacancy at PP QB then Brannstrom doesn't help much. The Oilers can run (not counting Barrie) Nurse and Bouchard on the PP.

The Wild would have no use for Barrie. If Greenway is really available then he'd be a great add for Edmonton, but you'd have to send the Wild something else.

Gibson has taken a big step back, he's worth a 1st, not three of them! He really hasn't played well lately and that has to be priced in.
At 50% retained for six years? I disagree.

BurnabyJoe7

Not an Avalanche fan
Apr 12, 2019
The first trade I think is fair or at least a deal can be worked around it. The wild won't take Barrie for Greenway, although I'd love him on the oilers. That's a massive overpay for Gibson and the ducks would never retain 3 mil for 5 years. I would be down to overpay for Gibson but Holloway and two firsts is too much.

Would love to see Holloway play some games first though. I think he's going to be an absolute beast for us.

Reactions: TFHockey

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
i would not trade anything for Barrie. Not even Viktor Rask.

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
Wild don’t want Barrie.
No one is going to retain 50% for 6 years

Holloway 1st and Koskinen is a decent offer for Gibson but I think if they were gonna completely blow it up they would have already done it

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
'moto does not fetch bran-meister

barrie does not earn Greenway

Gibson will be an overpay. How much overpay is open to negotiation. If Ducks are budget conscious as some represent, overpaying may not be enough despite desire to restock the asset cupboard.
However, a third team could be brought in to take Gibson and immediately flip him extensively retained, which would defeat that impediment.
However, that will not be cheap.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Why not Yamamoto + a pick/prospect for Greenway. Minnesota gets a cheaper contract and a future asset. Helps their coming cap situation vs what Greenway next contract will cost

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Why not Yamamoto + a pick/prospect for Greenway. Minnesota gets a cheaper contract and a future asset. Helps their coming cap situation vs what Greenway next contract will cost

What does Yamamoto do for us?

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Has any team ever retained 50% for 6 years? Yet you think a budget conscious team like Anaheim will? I'm not sure there's a package the Oilers could offer that would make the Ducks do that.

Gibson no retention for Holloway, unprotected 2023 1st, and Koskinen.

I would do this if the Ducks would retain 20% . We are tight against the cap so trying to get the cap hit close to even as possible

Reactions: TFHockey

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Doesn't mean we want your leftovers to solve it.

Yamamoto isn't a leftover. Sigh. He is a young player who is hot and cold. His ceiling is clearly higher than Greenway.

If your team doesn't want a winger back and only wants a center in trade, fine. But spare the hyperbole.

Perhaps McLeod + pick + a small contract would do it then?

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Say what you want about Barrie, but dude is a pretty big part of the best PP in the league.

heisenbergsitti

Aug 23, 2021
Yamamoto isn't a leftover. Sigh. He is a young player who is hot and cold. His ceiling is clearly higher than Greenway.

If your team doesn't want a winger back and only wants a center in trade, fine. But spare the hyperbole.

He's the one who refused to get the vaccine but is out all season now because he got covid right? No to mcLeod

heisenbergsitti

Aug 23, 2021
As for proposal. Minnesota won't be interested in Tyson Barrie. Minnesota has no need for an expensive 6th d who they won't need beyond maybe half of this year with Calen Addison ready .

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

I don't think McLeod would be of much interest either.

If they decide to move on from Greenway (which I don't think its unlikely) they'll probably auction him off for futures in the offseason. It'd mostly be a matter of making room to promote prospects (like Boldy, Beckman and Rossi) with lighter contracts and more upside, so at best McLeod would be competing with those guys for a spot.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
He's the one who refused to get the vaccine but is out all season now because he got covid right? No to mcLeod

No, completely the wrong player. The guy you are thinking of is Josh Archibald.

McLeod is a young center who probably should be centering our 4th line but Devin Shore currently has those duties. I suspect this is the result of McLeod being able to be sent down without going through waivers.

I don't think McLeod would be of much interest either.

If they decide to move on from Greenway (which I don't think its unlikely) they'll probably auction him off for futures in the offseason. It'd mostly be a matter of making room to promote prospects (like Boldy, Beckman and Rossi) with lighter contracts and more upside, so at best McLeod would be competing with those guys for a spot.

If the Wild are going to move Greenway, whom I see as a middle six forward, the Oilers could be a good destination for him. They could use a big guy who might not exactly be a line driver but who is good with puck possession. At least that is how I see Greenway.

If we are just talking futures the Oilers could move a pick, a okay prospect and a contract that expires at the end of the season so as to not be a burden to Minnesota. Maybe a guy like Turris. I don't see the Oilers coughing up a 1st for Greenway, but a 2nd and a prospect could be possible. I guess it all depends on what Holland wants to do at 2RW and how much the Wild think they can get for their guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad