Proposal: Oiler Trades

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Just a few tweaks to the roster:

:sens

Kailer Yamamoto

:edmonton

Erik Brannstrom

:wild

Tyson Barrie

Jordan Greenway

:ducks

Oilers 1st 2022, Oilers 1st 2023, Dylan Holloway, Koskinen

John Gibson 50% retained
I could see the first deal being of interest to both sides. I'll call that one a good deal.

I don't see the Wild having any interest what so ever in Barrie. They already have Spurgeon and Dumba signed for their right side, along with Goligoski that shoots L but plays right side. Minny doesn't want the additional cap after this season either I don't imagine and Barrie is signed for 2 more seasons after this.

That is a very good offer for Gibson. Given his recent performance and the value of a prospect like Holloway, I would say this deal favors the Ducks and I wouldn't love it from an Oilers perspective.

So a goldylocks of proposals - this ones too low, this ones too high and this one is just right...

Reactions: TFHockey

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
1st trade, seems like it would make sense value wise but I think Ottawa is pretty deep at wing
2nd trade, doubt Minnesota has much if any interest in Barrie especially with his contract and I think they'd do a lot better elsewhere if they moved Greenway
3rd trade, this one could have some legs, that's a massive price to pay for a goalie, but Gibson is the kind of player you'd pay for

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
Would suck to lose Holloway but if it means getting Koskinen out of the Oilers net, I’m all for it. The guy never fails to let in at least one softie every time he’s in net.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2012
Has any team ever retained 50% for 6 years? Yet you think a budget conscious team like Anaheim will? I'm not sure there's a package the Oilers could offer that would make the Ducks do that.

Gibson no retention for Holloway, unprotected 2023 1st, and Koskinen.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I could see the first deal being of interest to both sides. I'll call that one a good deal.

I don't see the Wild having any interest what so ever in Barrie. They already have Spurgeon and Dumba signed for their right side, along with Goligoski that shoots L but plays right side. Minny doesn't want the additional cap after this season either I don't imagine and Barrie is signed for 2 more seasons after this.

That is a very good offer for Gibson. Given his recent performance and the value of a prospect like Holloway, I would say this deal favors the Ducks and I wouldn't love it from an Oilers perspective.

So a goldylocks of proposals - this ones too low, this ones too high and this one is just right...

1st trade, seems like it would make sense value wise but I think Ottawa is pretty deep at wing
2nd trade, doubt Minnesota has much if any interest in Barrie especially with his contract and I think they'd do a lot better elsewhere if they moved Greenway
3rd trade, this one could have some legs, that's a massive price to pay for a goalie, but Gibson is the kind of player you'd pay for

I figured Goligoski is done after this year. he is 36 years old and at the end of his $5 Million dollar contract. Barrie is a pretty decent replacement. Maybe Wild fans feel differently. Barrie did lead all defensemen in points last year.

Greenway is also in need of a contract at the end of the year. He is a big guy and a solid middle six winger.

That is a lot to give up but I did ask the Ducks to retain 50% on a long term contract. Gibson to me is a legit 1A starter.

If the Oilers are going to challenge for a cup, these moves might do it for them.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Has any team ever retained 50% for 6 years? Yet you think a budget conscious team like Anaheim will? I'm not sure there's a package the Oilers could offer that would make the Ducks do that.

Koskinen's contract is done at the end of this year. Not a huge ask to take him on. Shouldn't require a 1st to do that.

I think my offer is fair. Don't get greedy.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
That Gibson trade is a massive massive overpay. Try looking at his numbers the past 3 years- hint they're not good.

Ducks fans have said their dcore is better than the Oilers', so why would Gibson's numbers improve at all in this swap?
Holloway's stock has risen significantly since his draft as a recent mid 1st rounder, adding on 2 1st round picks is absurd. I don't even think Koskinen is much of a negative asset, he is a UFA at the end of the year and his numbers aren't even that bad, hell they're better than Gibson's over the past 3 years and thats behind the "terrible" Oilers defense.
Plus the Ducks would need a stopgap goalie if they moved Gibson anyways.

Edit: I didn't see Gibson was retained. That makes the trade a little better, but seriously when has a goalie ever returned 3 first round picks? They just don't carry that much value, especially when they haven't been elite since 2018

Last edited:

The Duck Knight

Sponsor
Feb 6, 2012
Koskinen's contract is done at the end of this year. Not a huge ask to take him on. Shouldn't require a 1st to do that.

I think my offer is fair. Don't get greedy.

There is nothing fair about that. Teams have had to pay a 1st to have other teams eat 6m in salary. You're asking a budget team to eat 19 million on a player that's already on a great contract, that they don't want to move.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I'm not thrilled with Goligoski but it sounds likely that he'll sign another 1 year extension. Either way I don't see a need for Barrie.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I figured Goligoski is done after this year. he is 36 years old and at the end of his $5 Million dollar contract. Barrie is a pretty decent replacement. Maybe Wild fans feel differently. Barrie did lead all defensemen in points last year.

Greenway is also in need of a contract at the end of the year. He is a big guy and a solid middle six winger.

That is a lot to give up but I did ask the Ducks to retain 50% on a long term contract. Gibson to me is a legit 1A starter.

If the Oilers are going to challenge for a cup, these moves might do it for them.
So the Wild trade away an asset in Greenway to land a redundant 3rd pairing defender. The entire point of moving Greenway would be to create cap space and improve the team in an area of need. With Spurgeon and Dumba and offensive RHD is definitely not a need. Wild need C more than anything and no Turris for Greenway is not the solution.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
There is nothing fair about that. Teams have had to pay a 1st to have other teams eat 6m in salary. You're asking a budget team to eat 19 million on a player that's already on a great contract, that they don't want to move.
Firstly, 1 bad trade by Dubas is not the standard for any cap dump trade. Plus Marleau was useless whereas Koskinen would be the Ducks' starter in this scenario

Also calling Gibson's deal "a Great contract" is highly debatable. 6 more years at 6.4 million for a goalie who's been averaging a .905 save percentage for the past 3 years doesn't jump out at me as good. Especially considering this is prime Gibson preforming right now and this deal will take him into his mid thirties.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

If you think there is a better offer out there for Gibson, name it. I think That is a massive offer even with retention.

However, we can agree to disagree.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

Kailer Yamamoto

Erik Brannstrom

Tyson Barrie

Jordan Greenway

John Gibson 50% retained
Interesting deals. All pretty realistic and the Oilers would be a way better team. That said, I hope the Oilers fold and leave the NHL.

Reactions: Szechwan

The Duck Knight

Sponsor
Feb 6, 2012
Firstly, 1 bad trade by Dubas is not the standard for any cap dump trade. Plus Marleau was useless whereas Koskinen would be the Ducks' starter in this scenario

Also calling Gibson's deal "a Great contract" is highly debatable. 6 more years at 6.4 million for a goalie who's been averaging a .905 save percentage for the past 3 years doesn't jump out at me as good. Especially considering this is prime Gibson preforming right now and this deal will take him into his mid thirties.

Show me the comparables for eating that much salary.

Completely disagree on your evaluation on Gibson, but you're entitled to your opinion on that. Not many goalies are going to look good behind a garbage team and Gibson definitely has an issue with quitting on his team once the season goes in the shitter. 3 years running he's been on fire the first month or so and then essentially just gives up. If people actually think Gibson isn't a great goalie then why do all these Oiler fans want him? Ducks fans are more than happy to keep him. The only way he might get moved is if we continue to stink and he asks for it.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

Kailer Yamamoto

Erik Brannstrom

Tyson Barrie

Jordan Greenway

John Gibson 50% retained
If Gibson is 50% retained, add Broberg and

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg

If this is an option I think it might already be done from an Oiler standpoint.

Stauffer has been touting 5 pieces to get it done and that is only 3, so I think it might be light to get Anaheim to agree, especially in division. I also think there was no chance of 50% retention on 6 year contract so the other offer with 2-1st and such is too high. We probably need to add a pick and a prospect. maybe a 2nd that becomes an additional first if we win the cup in year 1.

The extra stuff needs to be conditonal so it allows for the risk that the nay Sayers on Gibson are right.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I absolutely love Gibson and want him on the team but there is no way in hell he's worth that much... 2 firsts and 2 a prospects? I can't think of any player recently getting that type of return. Especially a goalie
I mean asking a team to retain 3 mil for 6 years.... is kinda a lot.

If were just talking gibson by himself no retention

1st + holloway + Koskinen
for
Gibson

i think is about as low as id go

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
I mean asking a team to retain 3 mil for 6 years.... is kinda a lot.

If were just talking gibson by himself no retention

1st + holloway + Koskinen
for
Gibson

i think is about as low as id go

That's fair. I forgot he was still signed for that long. I'd do your offer straight up for him in a heart beat. Would probably add another young guy as well tbh.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad