OHL Trade Thread 2024-25

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Musty will be moved in a week or so. As much as some people want some sort of Don Cherry wet dream. They aren't going to drag this out.

As for the others, no offense to them but outside of Smith, I wouldn't count Van Steensel, Allard, or Ride as big names. And I don't think Luchanko would be moved? Maybe.
“… some sort of Don Cherry wet dream “

You been saving that line and finally thought you had an opportunity to use it? What does Don Cherry have to do with the circumstances of an elite player requesting a trade in this league?

Just askin

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
What does Oshawa do if Calum Ritchie sticks? The Barlow trade would really hurt cause you can’t buy that cat back in the box.

Even if Ritchie returns to Oshawa this year, the ill-advised Barlow trade still hurts.

As I’ve explained numerous times, Oshawa did not have the depth of talent to make a trade like that. And Barlow isn’t dominant enough to singlehandedly make up the difference.

In the event that Ritchie stays in Colorado, Oshawa’s season is over. Without Ritchie they might win a playoff round - - perhaps a couple rounds - - but their championship aspirations would be finished.

Thanks to the nonsensical Barlow trade, Oshawa is woefully thin on draft picks - - over the next four years they have only TWO (2) second round picks, TWO (2) third round picks and ZERO (0) fifth round picks.

Clearly, they’re not getting any semblance of a “replacement” for Ritchie with that pittance.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Even if Ritchie returns to Oshawa this year, the ill-advised Barlow trade still hurts.

As I’ve explained numerous times, Oshawa did not have the depth of talent to make a trade like that. And Barlow isn’t dominant enough to singlehandedly make up the difference.

In the event that Ritchie stays in Colorado, Oshawa’s season is over. Without Ritchie they might win a playoff round - - perhaps a couple rounds - - but their championship aspirations would be finished.

Thanks to the nonsensical Barlow trade, Oshawa is woefully thin on draft picks - - over the next four years they have only TWO (2) second round picks, TWO (2) third round picks and ZERO (0) fifth round picks.

Clearly, they’re not getting any semblance of a “replacement” for Ritchie with that pittance.

Assuming Ritchie and Roobroeck return, I think you’ll obviously be fine.

With respect to the trade for Barlow, there will be a reciprocal deal next season with a player like Senneke being moved out. It will effectively be Barlow for Senneke. They also could move Danford instead. Or they could move both. This is just an example of flowing with the OHL cycle. Make a strong push one year by adding a couple players followed by a year where you move out a couple players and end up with a net ZERO from an assets in vs assets out perspective. The goal obviously is to win the championship with those moves.

The stronger teams won’t need to bottom out to do it though. For example, the Petes basically sacrificed multiple years on their run. I don’t think Oshawa would need to go as deep. They won’t need to go into next year as a basement dweller recouping assets.

I think it makes more sense when you stretch the process over two seasons and understand that even though you lost picks plus Delisle and Bedkowski, you will get comparable picks and players back next year when Senneke and/or Danford get moved.

HUSH10

Sep 16, 2019
Assuming Ritchie and Roobroeck return, I think you’ll obviously be fine.

With respect to the trade for Barlow, there will be a reciprocal deal next season with a player like Senneke being moved out. It will effectively be Barlow for Senneke. They also could move Danford instead. Or they could move both. This is just an example of flowing with the OHL cycle. Make a strong push one year by adding a couple players followed by a year where you move out a couple players and end up with a net ZERO from an assets in vs assets out perspective. The goal obviously is to win the championship with those moves.

The stronger teams won’t need to bottom out to do it though. For example, the Petes basically sacrificed multiple years on their run. I don’t think Oshawa would need to go as deep. They won’t need to go into next year as a basement dweller recouping assets.

I think it makes more sense when you stretch the process over two seasons and understand that even though you lost picks plus Delisle and Bedkowski, you will get comparable picks and players back next year when Senneke and/or Danford get moved.
This is a concept that is lost on most people. People think we have have no future now with an empty Cupboard not realizing we will get it all back next year when we trade Sennecke.

Sennecke will very likely get the same return Oshawa spent for Barlow. 2 fresh faces and 6 picks.

They will also have Marelli, Buckley, and Danford (as you said) available next year to build right back up for ad early as 26/27 year.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
“… some sort of Don Cherry wet dream “

You been saving that line and finally thought you had an opportunity to use it? What does Don Cherry have to do with the circumstances of an elite player requesting a trade in this league?

Just askin
It was an admittedly abrasive way to say that some people want Musty to just sit at home til the trade deadline because they view him as selfish/ungrateful.

Cherry would absolutely be the one, if he was asked about the situation, to say something along the lines of, "players today don't know how good they have it. to play in the best junior hockey league in the world. and now they want to call their shots...." and so on. Something that would resonate with the group of fans that have been on Musty's case since the news broke.

Didn't think it needed explaining that Cherry was famous for his very old school thoughts on matters.

Reactions: GoKnightsGo44

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
It was an admittedly abrasive way to say that some people want Musty to just sit at home til the trade deadline because they view him as selfish/ungrateful.

Cherry would absolutely be the one, if he was asked about the situation, to say something along the lines of, "players today don't know how good they have it. to play in the best junior hockey league in the world. and now they want to call their shots...." and so on. Something that would resonate with the group of fans that have been on Musty's case since the news broke.

Didn't think it needed explaining that Cherry was famous for his very old school thoughts on matters.
I agree with you, most outspoken are in defence of the club. I see it the other way. From some fan comments, Musty was not a fan favourite due to poor penalties and one way play, I think that is more indicative of poor management and coaching.

Kid clearly needs a change of scenery especially if he is a Ryan Merkley type, needs to get that coached out of him now before he is relegated to playing pro in China.

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
I agree with you, most outspoken are in defence of the club. I see it the other way. From some fan comments, Musty was not a fan favourite due to poor penalties and one way play, I think that is more indicative of poor management and coaching.

Kid clearly needs a change of scenery especially if he is a Ryan Merkley type, needs to get that coached out of him now before he is relegated to playing pro in China.
Would really suck for San Jose if he literally is Ryan Merkley 2.0 because that kid could never be coached out of his attitude. They should have known better after wasting a pick on Merkley just a few years ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad