GDT: Oh right...The GDT. The GDT for today.

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
That was fugly….. glad we got 2 points. Glad that Raanta literally stole that for us…. Nice that the hot goalie was ours for once in these scenarios.., we didn’t deserve to win that with as bad as we played for the first two periods…. NJ weirdly stopped skating more so than we played any kind of better third…. We were better but not that much better….

stinks that other teams can’t help us out by beating our divisional rivals in regulation…. Insane we have so many good teams in the east and 4 of the top 7 teams in the league are in the southeastern USA….

det just really isn’t a very good team…. Up 4-2 and then even to be tied with 3 min to go and completely blow the coverage and give wide open back door and a few empty netters (canes take note and watch the film!) and it’s 7-4…. Mrazek with the win…. Hate Toronto won but not totally on Ned tonight.. but clear that Canes management made the right move not wanting to pay Ned $5m a season compared to getting Freddie…. It’s worked out so far for us…. Wish we still had Ned for Raanta contract but good for him to get to an ideal location for his family and get the extra bucks… not sure it will help his next deal playing there given the play of they guys in front of him in Det…. But all the best to him…

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
That was fugly….. glad we got 2 points. Glad that Raanta literally stole that for us…. Nice that the hot goalie was ours for once in these scenarios.., we didn’t deserve to win that with as bad as we played for the first two periods…. NJ weirdly stopped skating more so than we played any kind of better third…. We were better but not that much better….

stinks that other teams can’t help us out by beating our divisional rivals in regulation…. Insane we have so many good teams in the east and 4 of the top 7 teams in the league are in the southeastern USA….

det just really isn’t a very good team…. Up 4-2 and then even to be tied with 3 min to go and completely blow the coverage and give wide open back door and a few empty netters (canes take note and watch the film!) and it’s 7-4…. Mrazek with the win…. Hate Toronto won but not totally on Ned tonight.. but clear that Canes management made the right move not wanting to pay Ned $5m a season compared to getting Freddie…. It’s worked out so far for us…. Wish we still had Ned for Raanta contract but good for him to get to an ideal location for his family and get the extra bucks… not sure it will help his next deal playing there given the play of they guys in front of him in Det…. But all the best to him…

I would say that the second was the only truly awful period, but Raanta was thankfully there to stop those breakaways. Canes played really good team defense in the third period to hold the lead.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
2 wins is 2 wins, but I can’t say I’m thrilled about needing our goaltenders to be our best players against Ottawa and New Jersey. Hopefully the All Star break is good to us.

I get the concern but I'm chalking it up to the dog days of the season theory. Hopefully tomorrow will be a more complete game but with the same result as tonight, a W.

Oh ok…

Anyway, Ned got torched in net again. His last 4 games he’s given up 17 goals and has a SV% of 0.839

The more time has gone by since his return game here and he gave up 4, the more I can understand why the front office wasn't sold on him at the price he wanted. He's let in some real stinkers in his last number of games although his blue-line isn't helping.

30 wins in 41 games is ridiculous.

As recently as 2014-15, we had 30 wins all season.

These is the times.

I'll share some thoughts on this in the news and notes thread, but man what a dreadful season that was.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I hate to be captain optimism here but I don't think the game was as bad as many of you say. I think we played like poo in the second, but I think we outplayed them a ton in the third. It may feel embarrassing not to score on M. T. Knett, but truthfully NJ had zero scoring chances during the last 3 minutes.

I think a lot of our third period success this year is conditioning, which makes me really excited for the postseason. Also Raanta was dynamite tonight, and backup goalie was a bit of a question mark going into this game.

I'm not about to let a close win over a mediocre team that played hard make me feel less excited for this season. It wasn't our best, but we won and we looked good in many parts of the game. The effort was great, but the passing was off all game. Credit to NJ for being speedy and getting to loose pucks a lot.

sandhu111

Mar 17, 2008
Edmonton, AB
Watched the game as much as I could before the Oilers game. Not one of the better games that I've seen from the canes but glad they got the 2 points.

I watch for most Svech as he's one of my top fantasy picks. This guys the real deal for me he's a top 10 winger in the league right now. Staal seems like he's fallen off this year after a real good season last year.

The goaltending is fantastic and Raanta was someone I wanted to replace koskinen he was great. With him and Freddy who looks unreal compared to the north division with the leafs last year. Looking at it now your guys system and 2way ability compared to the leafs suits him way better. He looks like a totally different goalie in the games I saw.

I also watch for Bear as he was a fan favorite for alot of us. He doesn't look to great and just slow moving not really getting anything done. Hopefully he bounces back still young.

If any fans are wondering Foegele is having pretty much the same as advertised. Not getting alot done sometimes but alot of effort. His finish leaves alot to be desired. He's been playing in the top 6 so getting chances now with Draisaitl. Good game today with two Assists.
But I would say he's exactly what you guys told me as 100% hustle, not great finish but some potential and speed for days.
The canes are definitely my second favourite team for sure. Great season so far.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Also I go back and forth every game now on who I want to sit between Bear and Smith. Is the answer not obvious? Play Jalen Chatfield, or make a damn trade.

Or alternatively, let the guys go through their struggles and simply hope that one of them gets straightened out before the trade deadline. If it doesn't, make that trade for someone like Josh Manson or Colin Miller. Not as if the #6 guy in our rotation is much of a need, especially because Ian Cole has played so well as of late.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Bear had 3 or 4 blatant turnovers in the defensive zone tonight. Stuff that wouldn’t be out of place in peewee hockey. Don’t know what COVID did to him, but it’s night and day between what he was before catching it and what he has been lately.

You wonder to what extent Slavin was covering up his weaknesses. Playing with Cole will turn mistakes and lost races into odd man rushes and breakaways.

That pairing is a problem and they’ll address it. It’s that obvious.

sandhu111

Mar 17, 2008
Edmonton, AB
You wonder to what extent Slavin was covering up his weaknesses. Playing with Cole will turn mistakes and lost races into odd man rushes and breakaways.

That pairing is a problem and they’ll address it. It’s that obvious.
Earlier in the year before he got covid he was playing with Slavin and his numbers and the eye test were both strong. Once bumped off that pairing he's had a steady decline.
When he's off he's moving to slow and making slow decisions which lead to turnovers, odd man breaks, etc.
When he's on his game its the opposite he's moving the puck fast and is quick in tight spaces.

This is similar to when he was with us. He was great when paired with nurse whose a fast skater and cover up mistakes. But when dropped to a different pairing his game crashed to.

He needs to find a middle ground. He's either playing great or like crap there's no middle ground right now.

hockeynjune

Just a soft breeze
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
After today's game, I hope the fellas sojourns enable them to heal, recover from any lingering Covid, etc. The schedule (Leafs, Sens, Bruins, Wild) when they return looks to be a chilly, challenging test.

Yepp , time for healing, a gut check, some focus and resolve. February is go time. No more f%&#ing around.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I'm assuming this is the GDT for the Jersey game but nowadays one cannot tell, can we?

Did any of you see the NJ board where they accused the Hurricanes of "spitting in the face" of Whalers fans? That is a hilarious take.

"Allow me to demonstrate my magnanimity by allowing you to see the colors of your vanquished team once per annum."

"Sire! You hath spat upon me!"

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
I'm assuming this is the GDT for the Jersey game but nowadays one cannot tell, can we?

Did any of you see the NJ board where they accused the Hurricanes of "spitting in the face" of Whalers fans? That is a hilarious take.

"Allow me to demonstrate my magnanimity by allowing you to see the colors of your vanquished team once per annum."

IN THAT CASE, THOSE DUMMIES THAT TRY TO RESURRECT WHALERS ARE EVEN WORSE FOR GIVING THEM FALSE HOPE.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

Ya I saw that post and just thought to myself ‘Well that person is a f***ing idiot’.

Reactions: DaveG and Tryamw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad