Offseason Roster Moves, Rumors, and Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
So now there is a lot of cap space, what are we doing with that? What's the plan here?
Hopefully the plan is to spend the windfall wisely rather than rushing out and spending it because our piggy bank has money. I don’t want to spend it because you have it like my friend, thrilled by her inheritance, rushed to have breast implants. (Yes, she’s broke now).

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I just watched two Harris' games from last season to get some sort of an idea as to what I should expect from him as a likely top-6 D. First game was against CAR where he played just under 18 minutes, and in the second vs TBL he played over 24. He was mainly RD in both games and looked comfortable defending and handling the puck on that side.

Notes of offensive plays: prefers to move the puck up quick, has great feet and mobility, is consistent and accurate with simple in-zone and break out passes. Doesn't try to do anything ambitious with the puck in any zone. Pretty straight-forward style on offense, nothing really creative. Can throw pucks on net fast but doesn't get much power behind shots. On puck retrievals while being pressured he tends to either eat the puck on the boards or reverse it to the other side, which also signals a lack of high-end vision. Good thing is he never did hazardous stuff that we've used to see from Provorov and Severson, and that he looks pretty strong for his height and knows how to protect the puck, at least like an average D.

Defense: I didn't see him defend any 2v1 or other dangerous odd man rushes but rush defense in general looked very good. He has the skating to keep up even with top forwards playing at a high pace. Good defensive stick and great gap control. He's assertive at picking his guy and playing the body even though he doesn't lay huge hits. In zone defense he wasn't as impressive, especially in some rotation plays and pass blocking situations. On Tampa's first and third goal you can see the struggles in taking away passing lanes (jersey #54):

All in all, he seems to be pretty much what Montreal fans have already told us. A jack of all trades that plays a safe game. I was hoping to get an NHL D in return for Laine so that there would be less pressure for Evason to rush Mateychuk/Svozil to the league... that should be sorted out now so I'm happy. I expect him to be a small upgrade over Bean, JJ and Christiansen.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If this is true why would the Preds consider trading Askarov for him? You can’t simultaneously crap all over the guy and think he is a key piece in a trade.

I wasn't the one who brought up Sillinger in the Askarov trade discussion. I was responding to @CBJWerenski8 's concern about NHL caliber forwards in the absence of Sillinger. I would not trade Askarov for Sillinger if I had him.

And no I wouldn't touch any of our Russian forwards in Askarov talks. They are good now with upside to come, he's not there yet and I'd like to keep our guys.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
The question is, and is Askarov better than Tarasov, or Greaves? Don't forget that Daniil was injured a lot, which affected his play in Cleveland.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
The question is, and is Askarov better than Tarasov, or Greaves? Don't forget that Daniil was injured a lot, which affected his play in Cleveland.
Askarov at the very least has vastly higher upside than either of those two. I would without hesitation do the Sillinger+Tarasov trade others have mentioned, even if it creates an empty spot at forward. We can surely find a cap dump or guy that gets cut that can provide what Sillinger currently provides. They likely wouldn’t have the same upside Sillinger has, but we’d be trading upside at forward for upside at goalie, which is needed.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Askarov at the very least has vastly higher upside than either of those two. I would without hesitation do the Sillinger+Tarasov trade others have mentioned, even if it creates an empty spot at forward. We can surely find a cap dump or guy that gets cut that can provide what Sillinger currently provides. They likely wouldn’t have the same upside Sillinger has, but we’d be trading upside at forward for upside at goalie, which is needed.
Are you sure? Me not.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
If this is true why would the Preds consider trading Askarov for him? You can’t simultaneously crap all over the guy and think he is a key piece in a trade.

Also, why would the Preds want Tarasov? They would waive him and send him to the Admirals. They have a backup which is why they are in this mess with Askarov.

So, you are offering a waiver pick up level player (in your opinion) and a guy the Preds would have to waive? Where is @Viqsi and that emoji she uses on the trade board?

My real question, however, is would you trade a Russian for Askarov?

I dont think Sillinger should be looked at as a “cornerstone” player for the CBJ, or as the main trade piece for a player like Askarov. MAYBE he grows into a Jenner type player, he IS young. But, young or not, I don’t like how he thinks the game and his actual offensive skill doesn’t blow you away, IMO.

Fascinating and IMO pretty ridiculous some people are downplaying Askarov, with or without the teams goalie position being where it is currently or not, AND with how much people seem to like that “style” of goalie, or DID, idk it’s hard to follow. It’s extremely easy to see why he’s upset, and who knows what’s been said to him behind the scenes in the past in regards to his future. He’d pretty easily be our best goalie.

I would look into essentially ALMOST anything that would be needed to get Askarov. I think the whole (added) point would be to ADD him to the young “Russian connection” we have going on. The CBJ might easily be the BEST situation for him in the NHL, looking at the group our of young Russians.

Werenski-Mateychuk-Severson (RD-and he’s got the contract and NOT a bad player)

Jiricek for Askarov

Both made comments/requests publicly about their feelings about playing in the NHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: ClevelandJacketFan

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Fascinating and IMO pretty ridiculous some people are downplaying Askarov, with or without the teams goalie position being where it is currently or not, AND with how much people seem to like that “style” of goalie, or DID, idk it’s hard to follow. It’s extremely easy to see why he’s upset, and who knows what’s been said to him behind the scenes in the past in regards to his future. He’d pretty easily be our best goalie.

And no I wouldn't touch any of our Russian forwards in Askarov talks. They are good now with upside to come, he's not there yet and I'd like to keep our guys.

I’d trade any Russian for Askarov. I’d trade Sillinger for Askarov + a decent add. I am not ready to trade Jiricek for Askarov.

Reactions: VT

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I’d trade any Russian for Askarov. I’d trade Sillinger for Askarov + a decent add. I am not ready to trade Jiricek for Askarov.

Should I take from this that you “value” Sillinger more than each of the Russians??

And nobody is claiming Sillinger is a "cornerstone" #redherring

1st, let’s come to a consensus on the definition of the term “cornerstone” in this context.

#doubleredherring

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Should I take from this that you “value” Sillinger more than each of the Russians??

1st, let’s come to a consensus on the definition of the term “cornerstone” in this context.

#doubleredherring
I'll see your double red herring and raise you a pickled herring..

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

Yes. Part of it has to do with position, part of it has to do with age, and part of it has to do with not having an agent that indicated he would rather be elsewhere to the media.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Yes. Part of it has to do with position, part of it has to do with age, and part of it has to do with not having an agent that indicated he would rather be elsewhere to the media.

Chinakhov, Marchenko, and Voronkov are such better players than Sillinger at this point that we’d be better off if they were playing center over Sillinger, IMO. I’ve been of the opinion that I DON’T think Sillinger is a good fit as a center in the NHL. Skating, hands, and passing are all lacking, IMO. Same with his “awareness” and/or “vision”. Again, IMO.

What does that last part have to do with any of those guys? Which Russian? Askarov?

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I wouldn't. If the D isnt fixed and playing well it won't matter who is in net.
Can I just be on record by saying I HATE this way of thinking. I’m confused, you don’t want to improve the goaltending/goalies??

Things definitely haven’t been ALL on the coaching and defense.

What if the D is fixed?? Or when.

If the goalie isn’t fixed it won’t matter who’s on D.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Chinakhov and Voronkov were among the young players who had an agent tell a reporter that maybe they shouldn’t be a Blue Jacket last season. Sillinger was not.
And yet only one of those 3 guys doesn’t have a contract with CBJ.

What are people expecting out of Sillinger? Legitimately curious, because I feel like I’m higher on him than most, but even I don’t see him as anything more than a 40-50 point 3rd line center with skating deficiencies. And we have a couple other guys that can fit that role in the future already.

Meanwhile, most here have been dying for a solution at goalie, but wouldn’t trade a redundant forward and injury prone goalie for a guy with by far the highest goalie upside of any goalie we’ve had since Bob?

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
And yet only one of those 3 guys doesn’t have a contract with CBJ.

What are people expecting out of Sillinger? Legitimately curious, because I feel like I’m higher on him than most, but even I don’t see him as anything more than a 40-50 point 3rd line center with skating deficiencies. And we have a couple other guys that can fit that role in the future already.

Meanwhile, most here have been dying for a solution at goalie, but wouldn’t trade a redundant forward and injury prone goalie for a guy with by far the highest goalie upside of any goalie we’ve had since Bob?

I see Sillinger as a 3c. I also don’t think we have solved are center deficiency yet, so I am hesitant to trade a center, even a 3c. But there are plenty of wings I am willing to trade for Askarov.

Pssssst … maybe the Sillinger contract is the last to get done because he was the least likely to do something like sign an offer sheet or cause some kind of problem.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Chinakhov and Voronkov were among the young players who had an agent tell a reporter that maybe they shouldn’t be a Blue Jacket last season. Sillinger was not.
And? It's a negotiation tactic. Bobrovskys agent threatened to go to the KHL multiple times.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I see Sillinger as a 3c. I also don’t think we have solved are center deficiency yet, so I am hesitant to trade a center, even a 3c. But there are plenty of wings I am willing to trade for Askarov.

Pssssst … maybe the Sillinger contract is the last to get done because he was the least likely to do something like sign an offer sheet or cause some kind of problem.
Fair enough. And maybe, but it could also be because he’s shown the least but is still asking for a similar amount to the other guys we signed when he should get no more than 2x$1.5m

Reactions: CBJx614

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad