Offseason Roster Moves, Rumors, and Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
I'm going to go out on a limb and presume - since we already had space to retain Sillinger - we will be using that newly added cap space this season to sign Jack Shit.
The way this team has performed he should fit right in

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
Sillinger and Tarasov for Askarov is a solid yes from me. And if Askarov isn't all that right now, that's fine, he still has massively more upside than Sillinger and Tarasov put together.
With all this cap space I wonder if something might be done with Elvis?

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
With all this cap space I wonder if something might be done with Elvis?
Buyout window is closed for this season, but if he doesn't improve then it's all but assured that the team will do so next off season with all the room they now have with the cap and previous statements by Waddell.

He's got a modified trade clause so I guess there's a chance he could be traded with retention.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
It's probably good for the CBJ to not make any major acquisiton-even with the extra cap space.

Would seem like the year to really assess the young talent and fill the holes that remain after this season next off season.

Reactions: EspenK and Indy18

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
It's probably good for the CBJ to not make any major acquisiton-even with the extra cap space.

Would seem like the year to really assess the young talent and fill the holes that remain after this season next off season.
I can see Waddell taking a 1st to help a team out needing cap space. I am still not sold on the management refuses to broker line but I don't think there would be an issue if take a body on an expiring/short term contract to help a playoff team "reload" for a push as they would actually be playing here and we are just not buying draft picks. While we paid for a 2026 2nd today I feel like we are going to end up with 3 1st rd draft picks next summer (1 for taking on an expiring/short term contract cap dump, 1 for a 50% Provorov (GM eat that shit up with Dmen like him at the TDL) and our pick)

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Let’s just assume that the preds would do Sillinger and Tarasov for Askarov. That puts us dangerously low on NHL quality forwards

Gaudreau-Monahan-Marchenko
Jenner-Fantilli-Chinakhov
KJ-Voronkov-Brindley
Danforth-Kuraly-Olivier

Also possible: TFW, Gambrell, etc

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Let’s just assume that the preds would do Sillinger and Tarasov for Askarov. That puts us dangerously low on NHL quality forwards

KJ-Voronkov-Brindley
Danforth-Kuraly-Olivier

Which is why I DON'T think we are going to do it. Plus Askarov already shown some hot headness and you think after the Elvis situation we be a bit more careful about that. Plus...I don't think CBJ be dragging out Tarasov like a show horse on media scrums over Elvis if they were not considering he has the potential to be the starter here very very VERY soon.

I think someone is going to play a stupid game here and give a 2025 1st round pick and a young RFA for him.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

KJ-Voronkov-Brindley
Danforth-Kuraly-Olivier

We can get a Sillinger caliber player on waivers. Or trade a late pick for one.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
Thinking (or fantasising) about contracts to take on with the cap space, these teams, according to Portzline, are over the salary cap: Washington ($10.2M), Edmonton ($5.9M) and Vegas ($3.6M).

Washington will likely just put Oshie and Bäckström on LTIR, so they're probably fine.

Edmonton are probably looking to move Kane. Columbus should stay as far away as possible from that unless they get an extraordinary offer. Holloway might also be moved, but I'll guess that they just don't match his offer sheet. He's not particularly enticing anyway.

That leaves Vegas, who have some very intriguing pieces. Karlsson, Roy, McNabb, Hague, Pietrangelo should all be very interesting to Columbus. Some of those might necessitate moving on from one of the defensemen, such as Provorov with 50 % retention or even Harris.

Will anything happen with the players listed? Probably not. But it's not entirely impossible. As has been stated, Waddell has lots of options open to him now in terms of roster construction.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclones Rock

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
We can get a Sillinger caliber player on waivers. Or trade a late pick for one.

If this is true why would the Preds consider trading Askarov for him? You can’t simultaneously crap all over the guy and think he is a key piece in a trade.

Also, why would the Preds want Tarasov? They would waive him and send him to the Admirals. They have a backup which is why they are in this mess with Askarov.

So, you are offering a waiver pick up level player (in your opinion) and a guy the Preds would have to waive? Where is @Viqsi and that emoji she uses on the trade board?

My real question, however, is would you trade a Russian for Askarov?

Last edited:

DankoCBJ

Feb 19, 2022
I would put our d-pairs actually like this:

1. Werenski - Severson
2. Provorov - Gudbranson
3. Harris - Jiricek
+ J.Johnson

Provorov-Gudbranson likely continue to play together on PK too. Harris seems to be better defensively than Provorov so he might be a better partner for Jiricek. Top 2 pairs with veterans get the tougher match-ups and Harris-Jiricek pair gets more sheltered 5vs5 minutes. Same role that Harris did well in Montreal.

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
I can see Waddell taking a 1st to help a team out needing cap space. I am still not sold on the management refuses to broker line but I don't think there would be an issue if take a body on an expiring/short term contract to help a playoff team "reload" for a push as they would actually be playing here and we are just not buying draft picks. While we paid for a 2026 2nd today I feel like we are going to end up with 3 1st rd draft picks next summer (1 for taking on an expiring/short term contract cap dump, 1 for a 50% Provorov (GM eat that shit up with Dmen like him at the TDL) and our pick)
I don't see this happening. If Ownership wouldn't retain on Laine for a better deal why would they retain for a draft pick. Jarmo said and tried for years. I just don't think they are interested.

The CBJ has a lot of cap space and it will stay like that until they need to resign the current roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad