Offseason Roster Moves, Rumors, and Discussion

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I think we’re across the board getting too obsessed with the labels of “first pairing,” “third pairing,” “first line,” etc. A developing team doesn’t have defined slots.
So you're saying the Line-O-Matic will still be used ?

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Johnson has played 130 games and is coming off shoulder surgery. His new contract carries a $1.8 million charge against the cap, so the expectation is that Sillinger’s will land somewhere between that amount and Marchenko’s $3.85 million annual rate.

“It’s similar to Kent, but Sillinger’s got a little more history and profile,” Waddell said. “There’s no way we could agree on a real long-term deal, because he doesn’t know what his upside’s going to be and we don’t know what it’s going to be yet. He’s also not going to sign a low (number) for long term. That deal will get done though.”

Reactions: CBJx614

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Given the recent KJ and Marchenko signings I'm wondering where they settle with Sillinger. I still believe it will be north of $2.5 but now wonder what type of term. It was mentioned long term. Is that 3 years or is that 5 or longer? Either way, I'm excited to see another good deal on a key piece

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Given the recent KJ and Marchenko signings I'm wondering where they settle with Sillinger. I still believe it will be north of $2.5 but now wonder what type of term. It was mentioned long term. Is that 3 years or is that 5 or longer? Either way, I'm excited to see another good deal on a key piece
Split the difference? 2.5-2.75/4yr? Similar to Johnson that gives him 10M guaranteed and room to get paid on his next contract while also being movable for the team if needed.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I think we’re across the board getting too obsessed with the labels of “first pairing,” “third pairing,” “first line,” etc. A developing team doesn’t have defined slots.

In certain situations where a team is “deep” at a position, that can be true.

With the current CBJ, Zack Werenski, and the build of the defense, they have a #1D that needs a PARTNER during 5 on 5 situations against the best players on the other team….

Ideally, this PAIR would play the MAJORITY of the HARD minutes together, and be used as the “top pair”.

Overall, there STILL hasn’t been enough changes to the defense. Gudbranson is probably literally our BEST option as your #2. We still extremely lack physicality. We’re not gonna be HURT by losing Bean or Boqvist, but, I’m not sure JMFJ is the answer to our defensive issues unless his defensive awareness has completely flip flopped from his last time as a CBJ.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Curious as to what you guys are hoping for this coming season. What would constitute a successful year and where do you hope the see spots shored up?

I always find myself liking a lot of the prospects and young players CBJ goes with, and think there's a real good young crop there now. Would like to see the team find some success.

Cheers.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
After a sub replacement level season Sillinger worked his way up to a little better than replacement level last year.

$1.5m x 2 should be enough, I'm not liking where Waddell is going with this one.

It’s similar to Kent, but Sillinger’s got a little more history and profile

He was brought to the league too early and got destroyed for most of his NHL tenure. I suppose that is what history is, but I would think "good history" is what we're looking to reward.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I'm not liking where Waddell is going with this one.

Maybe the 2 guys who never said anything about playing time or the AHL are being rewarded for that. Meanwhile the guys whose agents said something about the playing time or the AHL were finding the Jackets to be tougher negotiators. Maybe a message is being sent.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
After a sub replacement level season Sillinger worked his way up to a little better than replacement level last year.

$1.5m x 2 should be enough, I'm not liking where Waddell is going with this one.

He was brought to the league too early and got destroyed for most of his NHL tenure. I suppose that is what history is, but I would think "good history" is what we're looking to reward.
Sounds like someone behind the scenes really likes Sillinger's personality.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Sounds like someone behind the scenes really likes Sillinger's personality.

There's some great intangibles with Silly, but you don't need to pay for those on a second contract. I'm sure Waddell knows that.

I would be very surprised if the internal analytics on Sillinger were positive. So it seems they're just very bullish on growth?

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Not sure what was more annoying and frustrating, the unnecessary hate Bemstrom got from some/many, or the unnecessary hype Nylander received from some.

I could see Bemstrom having a JAM-like career/scoring breakout within the next few years. With both guys, the offensive ability and shot has always been there, IMO.

I always liked Bemstrom and what he brought to the ice and think the trade was idiotic, and think he’s still currently a better option than a number of current CBJ forwards in various roles and in different lines. His “leash” and opportunities were always limited for different reasons, some more justified than others.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Not sure what was more annoying and frustrating, the unnecessary hate Bemstrom got from some/many, or the unnecessary hype Nylander received from some.

I could see Bemstrom having a JAM-like career/scoring breakout within the next few years. With both guys, the offensive ability and shot has always been there, IMO.

I always liked Bemstrom and what he brought to the ice and think the trade was idiotic, and think he’s still currently a better option than a number of current CBJ forwards in various roles and in different lines. His “leash” and opportunities were always limited for different reasons, some more justified than others.
We all have our players we like, and maybe Bemstrom does have some breakout, but he was not qualified and then signed a 1 year near veteran minimum contract by Pittsburgh. Hes had plenty of chances. Calling the trade idiotic, when it’s made 0 impact on either franchises to this point, is a tad hyperbolic.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
We all have our players we like, and maybe Bemstrom does have some breakout, but he was not qualified and then signed a 1 year near veteran minimum contract by Pittsburgh. Hes had plenty of chances. Calling the trade idiotic, when it’s made 0 impact on either franchises to this point, is a tad hyperbolic.
But you know it's going to be terrible and we're all going to rue the day, just like how Florida will forever regret signing that horrible headcase Bobrovsky and how Ottawa is going to leave us in the dust now that they've got Korpisalo.

Reactions: majormajor

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

You think trading Bemstrom away and keeping Sean Kuraly on the team with a higher cap hit has zero impact on the Columbus Blue Jackets??

I disagree. Even if Bemstrom wouldn’t be good at all the golf outings.

He didn’t have “plenty of chances”. Bemstrom isn’t a player I want to harp on until he scores 30 and it’s Karlsson 2.0 around here.

Wanna talk Kuraly?? People still think he’s not a problem?? Peeke, Merzlikins, Laine, Kuraly, see the theme??

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
But you know it's going to be terrible and we're all going to rue the day, just like how Florida will forever regret signing that horrible headcase Bobrovsky and how Ottawa is going to leave us in the dust now that they've got Korpisalo.
My god. People WERE trashing Bobrovsky recently. Put him on OTT and Korpisalo on FLA and nothing changes with those teams.

Why are you even bringing up Korpisalo and Bob?? So you can literally VILIFY me and ACT as if I initiated the conversation about them? Like usual.

Let’s talk the CURRENT CBJ GOALIES shall we?? HAHAHAHAHA. Let me guess…no??

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
My god. People WERE trashing Bobrovsky recently. Put him on OTT and Korpisalo on FLA and nothing changes with those teams.

Why are you even bringing up Korpisalo and Bob?? So you can literally VILIFY me and ACT as if I initiated the conversation about them? Like usual.

Let’s talk the CURRENT CBJ GOALIES shall we?? HAHAHAHAHA. Let me guess…no??
I'm happy to leave it be when you're not playing Crusader Mode. If you play Crusader Mode, then I feel kind of obliged to provide reminders to folks of why we've learned to tune it out.

Reactions: pete goegan

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
You think trading Bemstrom away and keeping Sean Kuraly on the team with a higher cap hit has zero impact on the Columbus Blue Jackets??

I disagree. Even if Bemstrom wouldn’t be good at all the golf outings.

He didn’t have “plenty of chances”. Bemstrom isn’t a player I want to harp on until he scores 30 and it’s Karlsson 2.0 around here.

Wanna talk Kuraly?? People still think he’s not a problem?? Peeke, Merzlikins, Laine, Kuraly, see the theme??
I don’t see how Kuraly has any impact on Bemstrom. They had completely different roles and don’t play the same position.

There’s no sense in talking about Bemstrom. Hes been gone for a little bit now, and he’s got his work cut out for him to make the squad in Pittsburgh. If he was still here, he’d probably be waivers or Cleveland bound.

And about kuraly, he’s a 4th line center and plays Pk. Hes probably going to be traded this year. We have far more issues than him. If he was our only problem we’d be a lot better.

Reactions: Viqsi and Indy18

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I'm happy to leave it be when you're not playing Crusader Mode. If you play Crusader Mode, then I feel kind of obliged to provide reminders to folks of why we've learned to tune it out.
“Why we’ve learned to tune it out”….

I know what you want and I won’t give it to you. Force it if you like.

What is “crusader mode”?

Am I allowed to say I think it was a mistake to trade a player?

Am I allowed to not be a fan of a player on the team and express this?

What is the issue??

Why do you continue to bring up my opinions on Bobrovsky and Korpisalo, and not the actual current goalie Merzlikins?

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I don’t see how Kuraly has any impact on Bemstrom. They had completely different roles and don’t play the same position.

There’s no sense in talking about Bemstrom. Hes been gone for a little bit now, and he’s got his work cut out for him to make the squad in Pittsburgh. If he was still here, he’d probably be waivers or Cleveland bound.

And about kuraly, he’s a 4th line center and plays Pk. Hes probably going to be traded this year. We have far more issues than him. If he was our only problem we’d be a lot better.
Let’s talk Bobrovsky and Korpisalo instead??
Who brought them up?

EVERY player and their salary/cap hit has an impact on the others. Bemstrom is a MUCH better player than Nylander. “IMO”, whatever.

Kuraly SUCKS on the PK and as a “4th line center”. He and that “ROLE” is easily a top 10 problem for the CBJ.

Goaltending is #1 and another top pairing defenseman is #2. Top line center, #3.

imo

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Well I guess we got our to do list mostly done this summer if now we are having meltdowns over Bemstrom of all people...never change #CBJ fanbase...never change...always need to find some molehill to make into a mountain and can't enjoy a moment of goodwill and peace over two strong signings this weekend as everyone thought those two were unhappy and wanted out...for some reason...

Reactions: CBJ goalie

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Well I guess we got our to do list mostly done this summer if now we are having meltdowns over Bemstrom of all people...never change #CBJ fanbase...never change...always need to find some molehill to make into a mountain and can't enjoy a moment of goodwill and peace over two strong signings this weekend as everyone thought those two were unhappy and wanted out...for some reason...
It's only one guy.

• Haha
Reactions: Indy18

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
What is “crusader mode”?
When your posts become less about discussing hockey and more about Forceful Authoritative Declarations on your conclusions about players you obsess over one way or the other. Bob and Korpi are merely an example that's blatantly obvious on its face to literally any NHL fan of how you pick and choose favorites and foes, completely shut down to any other input about them thenceforth other than blithe agreement, and then scream at the top of your lungs about them every chance you get because How Dare You Not Be Agreed With. It's not the players, it's the pattern of behavior.

I mean, f***, I agree (partly) on Bemstrom. I'd prefer to have kept him. But you're proclaiming his inevitability in tones Moses wouldn't have deigned to use coming down from Sinai.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad