Offseason Roster Moves, Rumors, and Discussion

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Are these proposed lines the result of smoking bad weed or dropping bad acid? Wow some of these ideas are truly mind bending.
This is 3 years in the future working based off what we have currently so maybe its not them on something?

This might be the smartest thing I have seen on a message board in a long time. The last few years there are several “poor man’s version of Makar” coming up, but I haven’t seen anyone who is considered “a poor man’s Toews”.
literally what people say Celebrini is. Probably not the lite version though

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Wrong Toews. We are talking about Devon.
Ah I see now reading that post. Yeah that can be a hard piece to find, NYI had it and didnt know but thats not uncommon. Bit different but what Stralman eventually became would have been cool for us to have had. People always go to the highest of the high end with comparisns so I can see why Toews still gets overlooked as a comparable.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Dont expect to see Dolzhenkov or Makarov make it/come over in 3 years?

They might for all I know. I don't know any reason to doubt them. But I'm not bumping any of the other forwards out for Dolzhenkov, and on D it is somewhat arbitrary but I had Christiansen and Guillaume Richard being the ones to step up. Having them over Svozil is probably more objectionable, but I find that sort of outcome at least underrated, not probable but underrated.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
The Athletics most cap efficient teams/ contracts ..

IMG_0028.png

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

So they now have us ranked 32nd twice. Along with Goalie situation.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I don't... really understand how Tarasov = negative. Like I guess it's data driven and it just is? But that makes me question the entire thing. I'm sure there's plenty of truth in it, but still.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I don't really take too much from those articles. Bad teams have bad everything. Have a better year with the same contracts and magically they'll look better. Funny how that works. CBJ dealt with injury, poor coaching, poor play, no system and is the youngest team in the league for the last 3-4 years. Shocker, they didn't succeed on the ice.

Now I'm not saying the Severson deal is great. Gaudreau's is spot on, etc. but this tune changes, along with all the others with an improved season. Certainly some unappealing contracts, and not having read it I don't know what criteria was used to calculate the surplus, but I simplify by saying the team sucked and the big contracts look ugly because of it.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Nothing burger article imo. Almost everyone listed here has a contract expiring this year or next year. The horror.

(With obvious exceptions being the Elvis and Severson contracts which we already know are issues)
Also using last year as a baseline for contract efficiency...what else would be expected.

Reactions: Indy18

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
For all the people who voted for or wanted to see Boqvist or Peeke as the 1RD alongside Werenski the last couple years, I’m wondering who they see in that position now this year??

Werenski-Jiricek? We’ll see I guess.

Severson or Gudbranson are still our best options, as they have been. And by “best”, I don’t mean “good”.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Id probably trade Fantilli, Lindstrom and Jiricek to get Jones back at 1RD
Hilarious. :eyeroll:

For real though, we need someone to fill the role. We’re easily at least 1 more full year away from Jiricek being an adequate top pairing player.

I think both Severson and Gudbranson are extremely underrated by most people. The problem is Gudbranson simply isn’t good enough to handle the heavy minutes next to Werenski over an extended period, and IMO I think Werenski/Severson are actually EXTREMELY similar players. TOO similar to be effective DEFENSIVELY while playing together.

I’d easily start at Jiricek-Sillinger as a realistic base for a trade to acquire a WORTHWHILE player on defense along with possibly another “veteran”/“depth” player.

I trade Jiricek before Mateychuk and Sillinger before any of the Russians or Johnson. At the end of the day Jones is missed.

Reactions: cslebn

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Hilarious. :eyeroll:

For real though, we need someone to fill the role. We’re easily at least 1 more full year away from Jiricek being an adequate top pairing player.

I think both Severson and Gudbranson are extremely underrated by most people. The problem is Gudbranson simply isn’t good enough to handle the heavy minutes next to Werenski over an extended period, and IMO I think Werenski/Severson are actually EXTREMELY similar players. TOO similar to be effective DEFENSIVELY while playing together.

I’d easily start at Jiricek-Sillinger as a realistic base for a trade to acquire a WORTHWHILE player on defense along with possibly another “veteran”/“depth” player.

I trade Jiricek before Mateychuk and Sillinger before any of the Russians or Johnson. At the end of the day Jones is missed.
Those guys dont often get traded and when they do the price is usually a very high one. We are also not in compete now, its still building the kids up and instilling some sort of identity. Feels like last year was a lost year but if Jiricek is only seen as a year away from that level we arent really in a bad place.

This coming year will really be a see what we have and where the moves need to happen. Evason will make them work and Waddell has no emotional attachment to anyone, big year for the organization

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
In an ideal world, I do agree Severson is at 2RD. Idk if he can Werenski compliment each others games much.

However, we invested a lot into Jiricek. It’s time to take the training wheels off (assuming he makes the team). Let the kid play and make mistakes.

Reactions: Viqsi

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Definitely do not want Jiricek with Werenski on the first pairing. Thats setting him up to fail.
I think we’re across the board getting too obsessed with the labels of “first pairing,” “third pairing,” “first line,” etc. A developing team doesn’t have defined slots.

Reactions: CBJx614

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad