Offseason Roster Moves, Rumors, and Discussion

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Oh, the pick that was roundly criticized by everyone, chosen by the team in the top ten every pundit agrees is even worse at drafting than Columbus?

I'm not sure how you two ended up debating Yakemchuk, but some of us are big fans of the player. Yes, not just me. He had two top-five votes in Mckenzie's poll of ten scouts.

Ottawa's 2020 draft is one of the best drafts by any team in our era. They've only taken one first rounder since then, that they flubbed, but it's overall a record that has forced some respect. Pinto and Tkachuk came just before 2020 as well.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
i don't know how anyone can look at the moves that utah and nashville, in particular, made over the last week and not think that they clearly improved their rosters.
I don't disagree with you. Add NJ too. Other teams made moves that are suspect to me. So they made moves but I don't think they necessarily got better.

Look, I'm not saying CBJ is a playoff team but to your point I quoted... the CBJ pissed a lot of games away. They weren't blown out often. I think they have talent for a dramatic improvement. I just can't see how we're concluding doomsday on 7/3.

Reactions: CBJx614

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I fully expect the Jackets to be better as a team. It won’t be hard to improve upon 66 points even just by regression to the mean. But I don’t buy that they’ll be better than any of the teams that finished ahead of them, because literally the same arguments we can make for the Jackets can be made for most of them, too (except maybe coaching drama, but even Ottawa and New Jersey can also claim that to a lesser degree). Why is Columbus special?

This whole conversation has been bizarre. I’m normally the pollyanna here, arguing with the doomers. Now I’m getting personal attacks and condescending concern because I look around the league and don’t think the Jackets are lapping anyone?
Certainly I hope my posts and replies have not come across as condescending. I don't think so, but if you read them that way my apologies. You and I happen to disagree on this. I do agree some teams appear to have improved but others are trying band-aid fixes on declining rosters or have played above their heads due to coaching.

Reactions: squashmaple

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I think Wads should be Wadder.

Given his physique and age, I'll suggest The Waddler.
1720089963437.jpeg

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Aren’t you repeatedly calling for us to try to acquire their 2018 first round pick?
Blind squirrel, nut. They’ve produced five NHL players since 2017, one rapist, a handful of cups of coffee, and literally nothing since their miracle 2020 draft. Ottawa is objectively terrible at drafting.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
I've been happy with the moves this off-season and the general direction that Waddell seems to be taking, although this summer is definitely still incomplete with regard to the missing link on D.

Like it or not, the team has a significant group of 19-23 year old forwards that they are highly invested in and figure to make up a large percentage of the lineup going forward. I look at it like three sort of waves of young top forwards, but you can chop it up however you want.

1: Marchenko, Voronkov, Chinakhov (arrived)
2: Fantilli, Johnson, Sillinger (arriving)
3: Brindley, Lindstrom, Dumais (developing, 1-2 years)

All of those players will require lineup spots either this year or in the near future, but under the prior roster construction, there were a number of barriers that would prevent those guys from having meaningful roles. In the last few months we've shed the contracts and roster spots of Robinson, Bemstrom, Roslovic, Peeke, Texier, Bean, Boqvist, Nylander. I think it's safe to say that most of these were young-ish, middle of the lineup, often expensive, usually plateauing players that were identified by management as neither part of the young nor the old cores of the teams. We cleared up, what, $15-17M and 7-8 roster spots by cutting them loose.

The team has about $18M in cap space right now with only Marchenko, Johnson, and Sillinger to sign. We are often projecting a lineup that will have around $10M in cap space even before we factor out Laine's $8.7M (I think a lot of the negativity stems from simultaneously writing Laine out of the lineup and also considering his contract, which takes up 10% of the cap, as taking up all that room too). Even if we have to retain a significant portion of his contract, we're looking at a lot of flexibility to make moves going forward.

I'm definitely optimistic about the position that this team in after the moves over the last few months to both improve from within with these guys we've been drafting over the last 4-5(!) years while also being in position to use cap space and assets to bring in additional help from outside when the opportunity presents itself. For the most part, I think most of these moves have been easy to swallow and logical. The next few ones will probably sting a bit more.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
All of those players will require lineup spots either this year or in the near future, but under the prior roster construction, there were a number of barriers that would prevent those guys from having meaningful roles. In the last few months we've shed the contracts and roster spots of Robinson, Bemstrom, Roslovic, Peeke, Texier, Bean, Boqvist, Nylander. I think it's safe to say that most of these were young-ish, middle of the lineup, often expensive, usually plateauing players that were identified by management as neither part of the young nor the old cores of the teams. We cleared up, what, $15-17M and 7-8 roster spots by cutting them loose.

I don't think we benefit from trying to fit in all 9 of those young forwards. Dumais has some serious health issues that might prevent him from joining, and he's probably not needed anyways. Sillinger I don't see the need for. 6 or 7 young forwards is already pushing it for me. I like the idea of what Johnson and Brindley can bring but we'll see how they develop and whether they're needed.

ProfessorFink22

May 28, 2020
Two thoughts:
1) A new coach, I think, can't be understated enough. The difference in this year coming, and the last couple, is that hopefully we can truly see and figure out what we have in our young guys. I'm thinking of KJ in particular. I agree we won't ever roster all the young guys possible, (I would add Malatesta and even DBB to the list a couple posts above), but let's find out who we are going to run with from that short list.
2) Judging on success next year isn't the way, to me. Let's say Mateychuk, Jiricek, and 5/6 blue chip forwards emerge from the list above, and that's our 'window' to success. What's the window? 2027-2030? I know we all get hyper fixed in the immediate timeline, but I honestly think whether we finish 20th or 25th or 30th this year doesn't mean much. Judging moves by the window we will have to win seems much more prudent. And yes, I understand at some point we need to build a winning culture and play meaningful games, I hope by 2025-26 we are doing that. I like the balance of no risk vets like JJ to help facilitate that.

Also, since reading 'The Waddler' I can't help but picture his face on Danny Devito's reincarnation of 'The Penguin', so thanks for that frightening thought

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
1: Marchenko, Voronkov, Chinakhov (arrived)
2: Fantilli, Johnson, Sillinger (arriving)
3: Brindley, Lindstrom, Dumais (developing, 1-2 years)

I like your groupings, but a few comments.

The Russians should be ahead of everyone else. They are older than everyone else. Ages at start of the season:

24, 24, 23
19, 21, 21 (Fantill and KJ both have birthdays right after the season starts)
20, 18, 20

The question is whether the Russians keep getting better or have peaked. Lately our home grown forwards seem to have only gotten to a certain level and then didn’t get better.

Sillinger seemed to blow off the off season after year 1 and worked his ass off after year 2. What is he doing now?

How have injuries impacted Fantilli and KJ?

I put LDBB and Malatesta above Dumais. They are 20 and 21. At the very least they should be in the developing group. I might even put Lindstrom in his own group given his age.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
That's semi-plausible because Broberg is coming along at LD. The Oilers don't need to make a move now though if, as expected, Evander Kane is on LTIR. He's beat to shreds.
Yeah I am very OCD about players playing on the correct side. As much as the oilers fans want Ceci and Nurse shot out of a cannon I feel like Kulak is the one most likely to go long term but not right now. That being said Don can give an offer to see what he can do but not holding my breath at all on this!

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Mark: It has been busy. Happy Fourth of July. Talking about the draft; Scheig nailed the top four picks. Eye-rolling "joke" by host about his ex-girlfriend. More talk about the possible trades. Didn't clarify anymore about the different Necas rumors.

Monahan changed his routine a bit and he feels like he's in the best shape of his life. He's only 29, so assuming health he should still have some good years ahead of him. A center, probably 1C on the CBJ. But Monahan and Gaudreau on top line. Fantilli or possibly Sillinger on second line. Could move Jenner to the wing, as many fans clamor for (back, minutes, etc). Monahan balances lineup to slot other guys appropriately. He's not a premier, top of the league 1C but he'll be acceptable. Team isn't worried about years four and five of the deal. (an aside by me: I wonder if he'll end up being a mentor to Sillinger in a way we hadn't considered, as he also stepped into the league at 18 onto a messy team). RIP capfriendly.

Jack Johnson. Cup winner, veteran leader, perfect 7th D to mentor young guys. Should be welcomes back with open arms. Bygones, etc. He and fam live in Dublin. Wants to help establish the "winning culture" here.

Talk about the various UFA's let go and Boqvist buyout. Points out Bean was a nepo signing so that's likely why he got signed before Boqvist. Points out Nylander didn't really have a lineup spot on the Jackets next season.

Thinks McLellan is likely the guy. Waddell told Dom Tiberi they're down to three. Speculates two are McLellan and Evason. Definitely not Quenneville. Says 7-10 days. Doesn't think Woodcroft. Wonders if Gallant is one of them.

Development camp this week. Neither host nor Schieg cares about Dev camp.

Interrupted self to mention Elliotte Friedman announced Roslovic to Carolina. Host seemed to forget they were talking about dev camp and moved on to Laine.

Schieg thinks there's a small chance Laine is back with the Jackets because Waddell said "what if we can't find a partner, then what? Possiblity exists he'll have to come back." They still expect back very soon from PAP. If they can't find a hockey deal, he'll be back. Example of Drouin with Tampa, who requested a trade and ended up playing another full season there before he wqas traded to Montreal.

Thinks timeline is in the next week or two we'll have a coach, then the remaining RFA's get deals.

Host asked a very confusing question about Christiansen being the only D kept from the previous regime. Schieg had him re-phrase and still didn't seem to understand it, didn't really answer it. Said instead that it feels a bit like running it back again, since there hasn't been any movement on D.

Moved on to listener questions from twitter.

Talking about NHL awards and his own ballot. He had MacKinnon for Hart, Bedard for Calder over Faber, QHughes for Norris because better defensively than Josi. Says takes weeks to get to a final ballot.

Talking about the Metro. "Who do they pass to make playoffs?" NJ is an actual contender now. Philly has Michkov but no goaltending so CBJ could pass them. Not sure how to judge Pittsburgh. Isles got better. Carolina got worse but not out of playoff. Washington got better (host says WAY better, Schieg pushed back bigtime on the "way", questioning PLD-Strome as 11/2 centers, questions their depth). Rangers the same. Schieg does not believe in the Islanders. Every team has questions. There are some teams that we expect to be in the playoffs (NJ, Carolina, Rangers), the other three old teams are bubble, Philly is a huge wildcard. "that's why they play the games."

Please, can you write what Mark Scheig say about a new coach, Jack Johnson and Patrik Laine? Honestly, it is too fast for me. :help:

Last edited:

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Mark: It has been busy. Happy Fourth of July. Talking about the draft; Scheig nailed the top four picks. Eye-rolling "joke" by host about his ex-girlfriend. More talk about the possible trades. Didn't clarify anymore about the different Necas rumors.

Monahan changed his routine a bit and he feels like he's in the best shape of his life. He's only 29, so assuming health he should still have some good years ahead of him. A center, probably 1C on the CBJ. But Monahan and Gaudreau on top line. Fantilli or possibly Sillinger on second line. Could move Jenner to the wing, as many fans clamor for (back, minutes, etc). Monahan balances lineup to slot other guys appropriately. He's not a premier, top of the league 1C but he'll be acceptable. Team isn't worried about years four and five of the deal. (an aside by me: I wonder if he'll end up being a mentor to Sillinger in a way we hadn't considered, as he also stepped into the league at 18 onto a messy team). RIP capfriendly.

Jack Johnson. Cup winner, veteran leader, perfect 7th D to mentor young guys. Should be welcomes back with open arms. Bygones, etc. He and fam live in Dublin. Wants to help establish the "winning culture" here.

Talk about the various UFA's let go and Boqvist buyout. Points out Bean was a nepo signing so that's likely why he got signed before Boqvist. Points out Nylander didn't really have a lineup spot on the Jackets next season.

Thinks McLellan is likely the guy. Waddell told Dom Tiberi they're down to three. Speculates two are McLellan and Evason. Definitely not Quenneville. Says 7-10 days. Doesn't think Woodcroft. Wonders if Gallant is one of them.

Development camp this week.

Interrupted self to mention Elliotte Friedman announced Roslovic to Carolina. Host seemed to forget they were talking about dev camp and moved on to Laine.

Schieg thinks there's a small chance Laine is back with the Jackets because Waddell said "what if we can't find a partner, then what? Possiblity exists he'll have to come back." They still expect back very soon from PAP. If they can't find a hockey deal, he'll be back. Example of Drouin with Tampa, who requested a trade and ended up playing another full season there before he wqas traded to Montreal.

Thinks timeline is in the next week or two we'll have a coach, then the remaining RFA's get deals.

Host asked a very confusing question about Christiansen being the only D kept from the previous regime. Schieg had him re-phrase and still didn't seem to understand it, didn't really answer it. Said instead that it feels a bit like running it back again, since there hasn't been any movement on D.

Moved on to listener questions from twitter.

Talking about NHL awards and his own ballot. He had MacKinnon for Hart, Bedard for Calder over Faber, QHughes for Norris because better defensively than Josi. Says takes weeks to get to a final ballot.

Talking about the Metro. "Who do they pass to make playoffs?" NJ is an actual contender now. Philly has Michkov but no goaltending so CBJ could pass them. Not sure how to judge Pittsburgh. Isles got better. Carolina got worse but not out of playoff. Washington got better (host says WAY better, Schieg pushed back bigtime on the "way", questioning PLD-Strome as 11/2 centers, questions their depth). Rangers the same. Schieg does not believe in the Islanders. Every team has questions. There are some teams that we expect to be in the playoffs (NJ, Carolina, Rangers), the other three old teams are bubble, Philly is a huge wildcard. "that's why they play the games."
Thank you very much, I was not expecting everything, a pleasant surprise. :nod:
  • I prefer minimum Laine's one season here. His value is bad and I do not want a player as Josh Anderson.
  • Also agree, Jack Johnson is very good for the team
  • What's happen Monahan and Gaudreau, although I said my opinion about Johnny, I wish so that they return their chemistry. It helps a team.

Reactions: squashmaple

DankoCBJ

Feb 19, 2022
It is too early to lock down lines but I would like to build them with a couple of basic principles.

- Gaudreau and Monahan together (past proven chemistry there)
- Johnson and Fantilli together (A. playmaker and scorer, B. worked quite well last year C. Fantillis speed covers what Johnson lacks, D. This sets Johnson for success. Player that talented cant play bottom six role.)
- Try to make a third line that is as close to shut down line as possible, because top two lines are going to be more attacking lines and you need balance.

Agree?

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
- Try to make a third line that is as close to shut down line as possible, because top two lines are going to be more attacking lines and you need balance.

Agree?

I think there are a couple of questions about the season.

One is are the Jackets trying to get the offense going first to give young forwards some confidence, and then work on the defense? Or are they going to try to solve the defense first, give the goalies some confidence, and then look for some scoring? I think you build your lines differently depending on the approach. With a veteran team you might be able to improve both at the same time, but this is not a veteran team.

The second question is do you keep the Russian line together or split it up? It worked last year, but everyone seems to want to split it up.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I think there are a couple of questions about the season.

One is are the Jackets trying to get the offense going first to give young forwards some confidence, and then work on the defense? Or are they going to try to solve the defense first, give the goalies some confidence, and then look for some scoring? I think you build your lines differently depending on the approach. With a veteran team you might be able to improve both at the same time, but this is not a veteran team.

The second question is do you keep the Russian line together or split it up? It worked last year, but everyone seems to want to split it up.
It worked last year as long as they had an above average shooting success rate, especially Chinakhov. Once they fell off, the chemistry didn't look so good. Then Vincent had to split them up because they started combining too much and losing pucks.

Also the Russian line is blocking the creation of maybe better lines.

Reactions: DankoCBJ

DankoCBJ

Feb 19, 2022
It worked last year as long as they had an above average shooting success rate, especially Chinakhov. Once they fell off, the chemistry didn't look so good. Then Vincent had to split them up because they started combining too much and losing pucks.

Also the Russian line is blocking the creation of maybe better lines.

Exactly. If those three forwards werent from the same country it would not be a thing. There wasnt any crazy chemistry that we should bring to next season.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad