Offseason Roster Moves, Rumors, and Discussion

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Are you confused how words work? Yes. And like Detroit, Montreal, Buffalo, Ottawa, Chicago, Calgary, Seattle, Utah, New Jersey, and Philadelphia, who all very definitely made moves to keep pace. Many of whom are better already and made moves to be even better still. Which of those teams do you see the Jackets being better than with a defense made of Werenski plus a Pandora’s box of children and failures, an untradeable headcase goalie, a forward lineup of unproven kids and washed up former Flames, with a likely new coach who hates playing young players (as all three front runners have been accused of by former fanbases)? The Jackets can be “better” than they were in April 2024 and still not move in the standings at all.
This last part is true and I get it. It's fair to think we might need to have to have often subjective measurements for success in the coming season.

What I don’t get is deciding who’s won the season on day three of the off-season. As if other stuff couldn’t happen between now and early April 2025. As if other teams couldn’t “get worse”.

Last edited:

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
I went into last season expecting 80 points. It felt logical for the new defense, growth of young players, hope for fewer injuries, and Elvis being another year removed from tragedy. Then they so wildly underperformed even that expectation that the baseline is now 65 points. If it could go wrong for the franchise, it did. But even 80 points would have been last in the division and seventh worst in the league.

There’s plenty to be hopeful about, but the outlook next season is still grim.

And yes, they did sign nobodies. Monahan is overpaid by at least two years and two million, considering how much time he’s missed the last few years. One season of 83 games doesn’t mean anything. Maybe it’ll work out but it’s more likely it won’t. The only other moves were a literal AHLer and 38yo Jack Johnson. I don’t actually dislike either signing, but lets not pretend signing a corpse and Johnny’s bff are moving the needle.
We had no system and spent the season learning as we go.

I'm expecting a worthwhile bump from proper coaching and having an actual system in place.

Maybe not competing for a WC spot, but not squarely in the lottery race by December.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Are you confused how words work? Yes. And like Detroit, Montreal, Buffalo, Ottawa, Chicago, Calgary, Seattle, Utah, New Jersey, and Philadelphia, who all very definitely made moves to keep pace. Many of whom are better already and made moves to be even better still. Which of those teams do you see the Jackets being better than with a defense made of Werenski plus a Pandora’s box of children and failures, an untradeable headcase goalie, a forward lineup of unproven kids and washed up former Flames, with a likely new coach who hates playing young players (as all three front runners have been accused of by former fanbases)? The Jackets can be “better” than they were in April 2024 and still not move in the standings at all.
I hadn't realized I'd tagged you in, but I guess this means I can take a break. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I’d like to point out that Sean “injury prone” Monahan has only three seasons where he was under 70 games played , and one was 65 games. Three. Yes, they were all consecutive seasons, however the rest of his career (including last year) he is usually in the 70s or 80s for games played.

He admitted to rushing recovery and playing through injuries and it put his career in jeopardy. He rested and fully recovered and was able to play a full season last year. I think the “injury prone” moniker, one I gave him as well before the signing, is wrong.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Unfortunately, this team looks like it’s headed for another bottom-5 finish. Maybe we’ll take a step forward next offseason :(

They can all improve greatly and the team still finish bottom five because the team doesn't exist in a vacuum. Every other team in the league also has young players improving. Every other team in the league made good FA signings and let go of dead weight. There is no team obviously tanking this year like most of the last decade. Shit, even San Jose should be better. The Blue Jackets did not improve enough to leapfrog anyone.
I actually feel sorry for fans like you and @Viqsi. You have already written off the season of the team you cheer for (which is not trying to tank) before the season has even begun. Zero joy, zero optimism, just 100% negativity.

If you don't mean to be so depressing then you have to work on your messaging because you all certainly sound that way to me. There are enough negative vibes in our world, sports fandom is supposed to be our escape. I refuse to give up on the season before it's even started but it's clear there is not enough optimism on this board to help pull you guys out of your doldrums. If you are drowning in quicksand I am happy to give you a hand and pull you out (and others here are trying as well), just please don't pull me in with you.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
I’d like to point out that Sean “injury prone” Monahan has only three seasons where he was under 70 games played , and one was 65 games. Three. Yes, they were all consecutive seasons, however the rest of his career (including last year) he is usually in the 70s or 80s for games played.

He admitted to rushing recovery and playing through injuries and it put his career in jeopardy. He rested and fully recovered and was able to play a full season last year. I think the “injury prone” moniker, one I gave him as well before the signing, is wrong.
If he puts up his usual production in those years and is healthy, he's easily getting north of 6-6.5M/season

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Talk about fallacy... Just because teams "made moves" doesn't mean they will work or get better. I mean if everyone got rid of the dead wood the NHL would never see any movement up or down. I mean hell, NJ went from 63 pts to 112 pts to 81 pts just in the last 3 years. They should have been at 130 pts last year given the moves they made. Do you think the Penguins got better? Islanders? Flyers? Capitals? I personally don't. They are either aging (in some cases significantly) or played way above their talent level because of a coach (Flyers). I wouldn't be shocked to see any of them drop like a rock this year.

Let's get a coach and a final roster first, that's all I'm saying. I just don't buy into the naysayer crap. I do have expectations of significant jumps from several of the forwards. I do expect a better defensive system (forwards and defenders make the system) with a new coach. I do not expect a bottom 5 team again. I didn't last year and if they held even half of their 3rd period leads the narrative in this group is completely different. We'll just have to agree to disagree on what we see with this team. I don't think the D is a finished product and also think they performed WAY below expectation last year. I expect a big change in approach and system this year. Might be wrong, but I don't see how they don't move up.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I actually feel sorry for fans like you and @Viqsi. You have already written off the season of the team you cheer for (which is not trying to tank) before the season has even begun. Zero joy, zero optimism, just 100% negativity.

If you don't mean to be so depressing then you have to work on your messaging because you all certainly sound that way to me. There are enough negative vibes in our world, sports fandom is supposed to be our escape. I refuse to give up on the season before it's even started but it's clear there is not enough optimism on this board to help pull you guys out of your doldrums. If you are drowning in quicksand I am happy to give you a hand and pull you out (and others here are trying as well), just please don't pull me in with you.
I've not written the season off but I will admit (and have previously admitted) to my lack of faith at this point. Normally I can find other sources of optimism in other parts of life, but right now virtually all of those are doing even worse.

Reactions: Doggy

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I've not written the season off but I will admit (and have previously admitted) to my lack of faith at this point. Normally I can find other sources of optimism in other parts of life, but right now virtually all of those are doing even worse.
Spend some time on the Nashville board and enjoy that Stamkos albatross.... er contract. I'm sure they have a more positive outlook than a bottom 5 finish. Once you're recharged your batteries...come back. :D

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Earlier Wads spoke at length about the need to fix the defense. He seemed to imply it would be done first, this offseason. So far his only add is Jack Johnson. So can we conclude that there is more coming? Or that Wads is waiting to see if someone shakes loose on the trade market?

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
Earlier Wads spoke at length about the need to fix the defense. He seemed to imply it would be done first, this offseason. So far his only add is Jack Johnson. So can we conclude that there is more coming? Or that Wads is waiting to see if someone shakes loose on the trade market?
I can't imagine D-Wad's done. I would guess that they tried to sign a D in free agency but failed for whatever reason. So now, I assume when he is not interviewing coaches, they are probing for possible trades. I don't think that J. Johnson, Mateychuk or Christiansen is plan A for the 3LD spot. But who knows? He might be waiting for Laine, since that will likely be the big move that determines what trades should follow, even if he stays.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I refuse to give up on the season before it's even started but it's clear there is not enough optimism on this board to help pull you guys out of your doldrums. If you are drowning in quicksand I am happy to give you a hand and pull you out (and others here are trying as well), just please don't pull me in with you.

I am in the “we are potentially a bottom 3 team” camp and I am happier than I have been in years.

I think we have finally turned a corner. We drafted guys that look like the hockey players you see in the playoffs - big and mean but also fast and skilled. We have added two veterans to help our young centers and young defensemen. We got rid of Central Ohio guys who really don’t seem to be core pieces and were mostly on the team because they were former AAA Blue Jackets. Guys like Fantilli, KJ, Sillinger, Mateychuk, Chinakhov, etc are another year older and hopefully better.

That said, we still have a huge question mark at goalie. Our defense still lacks a shutdown D. Ideally we would have two of those. The Flames might be starting the tank, but everyone else seems like they are in try to win mode.

If we were ten points better last year, we would have still been the worst team in the East. What if the worst teams next year are all in the 72-78 point range and we don’t have 47 and 52 point outliers? I could see the Sharks being worse than us, but who else? Flames? Caps? Hawks? Flyers? Ducks? I don’t see a lot of teams we are ready to pass.

I like guys like Blanks and Carson Meyer and Guance, and they were easy to cheer for. But those guys aren’t winning us any Cups.

So let’s look forward to the future, but I don’t expect us being a competitive team to happen in just one or two seasons.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Maybe he thinks the D can be fixed with the current group, and a new coach.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I can't imagine D-Wad's done. I would guess that they tried to sign a D in free agency but failed for whatever reason. So now, I assume when he is not interviewing coaches, they are probing for possible trades. I don't think that J. Johnson, Mateychuk or Christiansen is plan A for the 3LD spot. But who knows? He might be waiting for Laine, since that will likely be the big move that determines what trades should follow, even if he stays.

I hope we just struck out and he's keeping his ear on trade opportunities to get us our defensive D.

I don't see why it would be connected to a Laine trade. We can make those moves independently.

Maybe he thinks the D can be fixed with the current group, and a new coach.

I really hope not.

What pair are you putting out there to help us with our third period leads?

I like guys like Blanks and Carson Meyer and Guance, and they were easy to cheer for. But those guys aren’t winning us any Cups.

If your feeling of optimism comes in even the tiniest part from moving on from Blanks and Meyer and Gaunce, and replacing them with Gambrell and what exactly? Then I'm not trusting your optimism. They really aren't going to sway things one way or the other, other than likely making Cleveland worse.

Reactions: Viqsi

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
It comes down to every thread is a Laine thread at this point. Until we know what happens with Laine we can't really say we are done. You can use the Laine contract to get another Dman or since we have so much Cap Waddell might be willing to take on a cap dump as it seems like the next two years are housekeeping then we press when the first batch of kids enter their prime as all the aging veteran contracts start to age out.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
I hope we just struck out and he's keeping his ear on trade opportunities to get us our defensive D.

We have so much cap flexibility that I don't think it has to be connected with a possible Laine trade. We can make those moves independently.
Sure. It depends on what trades are on the table, I guess. I mentioned it as a possibility since the future trade most likely to return a quality piece is the one involving Laine. Therefore it would make some sense to give it precedence to see what the highest quality pieces they can get for their desired price range.

With that said, other teams won't wait to make their moves. So I hope and assume that they are being proactive, probing the trade market, being prepared to strike and then play the hand they're dealt.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It comes down to every thread is a Laine thread at this point. Until we know what happens with Laine we can't really say we are done. You can use the Laine contract to get another Dman or since we have so much Cap Waddell might be willing to take on a cap dump as it seems like the next two years are housekeeping then we press when the first batch of kids enter their prime as all the aging veteran contracts start to age out.

Do you have anything in particular in mind?

I'm having trouble imagining a particular Laine trade that lands us a D.

Reactions: CBJx614

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
If your feeling of optimism comes in even the tiniest part from moving on from Blanks and Meyer and Gaunce, and replacing them with Gambrell and what exactly? Then I'm not trusting your optimism. They really aren't going to sway things one way or the other, other than likely making Cleveland worse.

No, my optimism doesn’t come from that. I am just saying I like the guys that moved on, but they weren’t moving us any closer to to Cup contention. So I can’t get upset from replacing a guy like Gaunce. It really doesn’t matter.

I think D Wad is doing this in phases and not trying to solve everything at once. As we learned last year, signing the wrong D is worse than doing nothing. That Severson contract kept us from signing someone like Roy. Phase 1 seems to be change the way we draft, get rid of a bunch of marginal guys, add some vets, hire a coach, and see how the guys do in a new system with a new environment. He isn’t really dumping anyone including Elvis or recent draft picks. I expect bigger moves next year once he knows what we have. (Laine is it’s own thing that sort of exists on its own plane.)

Also, I expect free agents are taking a wait and see attitude with Columbus. We have been bad and we don’t have a coach. The only reason you would sign here is a huge over pay, you have no other options, or you are trying to get out of Calgary. Next year, when we have a coach and a system, free agents will be able to decide if they fit here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad