Offseason Roster Moves, Rumors, and Discussion

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Blanks gone :(
:eek3:
aargh4.gif

😭
cliffjump.gif

ClevelandJacketFan

Awesome Mascots!
Nov 1, 2007
...Really?
I think this is a bit of what we needed.

There was such redundancy and clog in our depth that didn't make sense. Maybe we lose a couple of talented players, but at least it's giving us roster clarity. The one thing Jarmo didn't do at the end was give everyone clear, defined roles in the organization.

Waddell seems to be doing okay with that, so far.

Reactions: Xoggz22 and koteka

aRussian

Oct 21, 2007
Ohio
Lots of names going out the door and to figure when the coach gets figured out some of the coaching/managerial heads might be rolling too. Trying to detach myself some since I'm one that is guilty of getting attached to our players. Ultimately these are players that all crowded up the lower portion of our roster

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Well getting rid of players and clearing roster spots is easy. The hard part is who they replace them with. That will be the real test for Waddell. Hopefully he gets the right guys and not just next years buyouts.
This is why I haven't started projecting rosters yet, there's still pieces to be moved and added over the next few weeks.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
I wanted to see one of Bean or Boqvist go, but not both.
I think one would have still been handy, a young mobile D.
Losing Blanks kinda hurts, he's a heart and soul kinda player that always gave the team a shot in the arm when they needed it. But, played so hard he kept getting hurt.
Nylander, and I would have liked to see if he could have continued playing well in a proper line up.

GM Wadell not playing around. Saw the excess and he's trimming the fat.

ETA : lol, just saw your trimming fat comment as I posted mine. Great minds think alike

Reactions: DarkandStormy

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Gaudreau Fantilli Marchenko
Johnson Monahan Jenner
Chinakhov Sillinger Voronkov

Pretty fun top9

I prefer to keep Voronkov at center. Sillinger might benefit from some time on the wing where he can shift his focus. And Fantilli doesn't need to be put at center yet.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Fantilli
Chinakhov - Voronkov - Marchenko
Johnson - Jenner - Sillinger / FA like Martinook or Foegele
Silly/FA - Kuraly - Danforth
Olivier

Assuming we sign a D in UFA, who is going to be the #7? Christiansen? I can imagine we don’t want Mateychuk (or Jiricek) sitting.

Christiansen has looked better and better to me.

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
I'll take Friedman over Scheig also because this doesn't help the "Nobody wants to play in Columbus" memes. Looking at twitter I also see someone saying he refused to sign a potential deal in Buffalo. Everything I am hearing with him dictating alot of things lately (wants to be a center spite clearly being a talented winger/expanded role) is this guy a bit of a Diva or something? Seems very PLDish

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm wondering more what we do with our top pair RD position?

Jiricek I would rather keep in the AHL for another year. Gudbranson isn't a fit. Severson maybe, but didn't get good results with Werenski last year. Roy/Walker/Pesce are all going to get big long term deals that we shouldn't do.

Trade for one year of Ekblad? It looks like the Panthers would rather move on from him.

Nate Schmidt? His offense has really fallen off but he still had good defensive stats. You might get him on a show-me deal.

Call me crazy but I'm curious how Denton Mateychuk would look on the right side for a bit. He looked good in Cleveland to me.

Reactions: Indy18

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
I'm wondering more what we do with our top pair RD position?

Jiricek I would rather keep in the AHL for another year. Gudbranson isn't a fit. Severson maybe, but didn't get good results with Werenski last year. Roy/Walker/Pesce are all going to get big long term deals that we shouldn't do.

Trade for one year of Ekblad? It looks like the Panthers would rather move on from him.

Nate Schmidt? His offense has really fallen off but he still had good defensive stats. You might get him on a show-me deal.

Call me crazy but I'm curious how Denton Mateychuk would look on the right side for a bit. He looked good in Cleveland to me.
I want Mateychuk to cook in Cleveland and potentially come up for an injury. I am starting to worry about Jiricek's future here in Columbus. Yeah he's going to be a solid 2D but we want so much more from him. I fear being down in Cleveland another year might make him more sour and as Waddell focuses on skating...which is Jiricek's biggest concern. I am starting to fear he might be Waddell's biggest barging chip if it doesn't start to improve that. Yes he looked great in the playoffs but there at the end of the monster's season he looked ROUGH.

(Never mind forgot we bought out Boqvist today so a Laine at 30% for Ekblad wouldn't probably work with the idea I had on my other comment)

Last edited:

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Waddell clearing space, next step start signing over the hill vets for too much money on too long deals? :sarcasm:

Seriously though, getting a bit nervous for no particular reason... I guess just seeing all the players go and no replacements/upgrades yet.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I want Mateychuk to cook in Cleveland and potentially come up for an injury. I am starting to worry about Jiricek's future here in Columbus. Yeah he's going to be a solid 2D but we want so much more from him. I fear being down in Cleveland another year might make him more sour

I hope it doesn't come to that but he can be sour if he wants to be. It should not make us change course on what we think is best for his development.

Reactions: Indy18

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2