Offseason Roster Moves, Rumors and Discussion

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I have had two good friends move away after their wives had a late term miscarriage and a still birth. They couldn’t take living in Columbus anymore because everything they had planned for didn’t happen. I can’t imagine living in a house with the kid’s room already put together and then no kid.

I have been an advocate for trading Boone before but now I say leave it 100% to Boone and his wife. If they want to stay and try to build a family here because they feel like they have a great support system, let them. If they think it is time to move on, send him somewhere where they will feel supported — the return is secondary.
This would be the only reason I would be okay with a Boone trade - if it's best for the family after that tragedy.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Have to pose this question. Under Jarmo and JD Boone has been untouchable. But with Waddell talking about culture and the locker room, could that impact the captain’s status?

With all the Boone posting I suppose someone needs to state the obvious - our issue is that we have few veteran leaders. There's a case for addition, not subtraction.

unpopular opinion but i think the jackets are in prime position to move jenner for a pick in the 10-12 neighborhood (njd, buf, phi).

what would then be really fun is a galaxy-brain series of moves where they then flip laine + 10-12oa to utah for #6, then walk away with two of demidov/lindstrom/sennecke/buium/silayev.

could then backfill the 'intangibles' side of things by taking on another team's veteran cap dump, and save up to swing big the next time a true #1 center hits the trade market.

I'd be all about making those trades but I think the value is stacked in our favor on both. I don't see a team taking the other side of that.

I have had two good friends move away after their wives had a late term miscarriage and a still birth.

I've seen this tragedy a few times around friends and family over the years and I haven't seen people move because of it. And it feels a little inappropriate to speculate like this into a deeply private matter.

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
I have had two good friends move away after their wives had a late term miscarriage and a still birth. They couldn’t take living in Columbus anymore because everything they had planned for didn’t happen. I can’t imagine living in a house with the kid’s room already put together and then no kid.

I have been an advocate for trading Boone before but now I say leave it 100% to Boone and his wife. If they want to stay and try to build a family here because they feel like they have a great support system, let them. If they think it is time to move on, send him somewhere where they will feel supported — the return is secondary.
Let me preface, I don't think they should trade Boone. In fact, I think this team should be adding more veterans, having too many young unproven players is a recipe for disaster. (Looking at you Jarmo)

That said, I don't think any player should have that kind of say. Of course players can provide their input but if a great deal comes along, Boone or anyone else for that matter, should be sent packing.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
I was looking at the roster and I'm not sure the winger situation is as good as people say.
  • Marchenko and Chinakhov are both soon 24y/o with 100gp. This season feels like a last chance for both to turn their potential into actual top 6 production. 0.5ppg with mid defensive abilities is just not enough.
  • Tex is soon 25y/o. Unlikely to be a top 6 player at this point.
  • The odds are that Nylander was a flash in a pan. I don't think I've ever seen a high draft pick go from bust to top 6 at his age.
  • Following the Dallas Stars development model, KJ and Brindley should probably be in AHL 'over ripening'
Would not want to go into a season with one single winger that has shown the ability to score +60p.

Last edited:

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I was looking at the roster and I'm not sure the winger situation is as good as people say.
  • Marchenko and Chinakhov are both soon 24y/o with 100gp. This season feels like a last chance for both to turn their potential into actual top 6 production. 0.5ppg with mid defensive abilities is just not enough.
  • The odds are that Nylander was a flash in a pan. I don't think I've ever seen a high draft pick go from bust to top 6 at his age.
  • Following the Dallas Stars development model, KJ and Brindley should probably be in AHL 'over ripening'
Would not want to go into a season with one single winger that has shown the ability to score +60p.
Tex should be and is a good candidate to get traded. Decent contract value and isn’t moving the needle here. He could be good depth for a team like Edmonton.

It’s weird, 21yo Kent Johnson has had an equal to or more impressive season than Marchenko or Chinakhov (0.5ppg), is one of our best PP guys, and we still don’t want to play him. KJ had the 3rd best rookie season ever in CBJ history (better than Nash, better than Voracek, Zherdev) we should be trying to play him MORE, and finding ways to help him succeed! See Ex: Wyatt Johnston.

He was “bad” last year (not all his own doing) and still paced for point totals equal to Texier and Sillinger playing 2-3 mins less…

Last edited:

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but what do we think about bringing in some veteran leadership with cup experience? He's probably a bit too expensive for my taste, but if he can keep up his play for a few years and provide that utility two way play and help the kids learn what it takes to win...I would be fine with it, fully expecting a drop off at the tail end. But you deal with that in 4-5 years.

AFP Analytics is projecting Stephenson, 30, could get a five-year deal worth $5.6 million per season on the open market.

Reactions: Viqsi

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
What are people's thoughts on Pageau? You could get him for free/cap dump right now, 2 years for a development plan for our young center we are drafting this year (*TBD), a right handed center which we badly need, more veteran leadership, a right handed center, another person who can take defensive draws at a decent success rate, a right handed center, good defensive ability, a right handed shot, he can eat a lot of thankless minutes and once again he is a right handed center which this team badly needs.

Yeah he's far from an offensive player but we probably need another Jenner on this team to help the kids. I know people want to go all in this summer, for some reason and we don't need to start signing like a Lindholm to a 7x7 to fill that 2C spot right now when we still have kids developing.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
What are people's thoughts on Pageau? You could get him for free/cap dump right now, 2 years for a development plan for our young center we are drafting this year (*TBD), a right handed center which we badly need, more veteran leadership, a right handed center, another person who can take defensive draws at a decent success rate, a right handed center, good defensive ability, a right handed shot, he can eat a lot of thankless minutes and once again he is a right handed center which this team badly needs.

Yeah he's far from an offensive player but we probably need another Jenner on this team to help the kids. I know people want to go all in this summer, for some reason and we don't need to start signing like a Lindholm to a 7x7 to fill that 2C spot right now when we still have kids developing.

If he was another Jenner then I'd be all aboard but I think Pageau has aged past that point. It's not just his meager offense, he doesn't have good defensive results anymore.

I like Kuraly, Olivier, and Danforth as 4th line leaders, what we need is a veteran who can play higher up.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Tex should be and is a good candidate to get traded. Decent contract value and isn’t moving the needle here. He could be good depth for a team like Edmonton.

It’s weird, 21yo Kent Johnson has had an equal to or more impressive season than Marchenko or Chinakhov (0.5ppg), is one of our best PP guys, and we still don’t want to play him. KJ had the 3rd best rookie season ever in CBJ history (better than Nash, better than Voracek, Zherdev) we should be trying to play him MORE, and finding ways to help him succeed! See Ex: Wyatt Johnston.

He was “bad” last year (not all his own doing) and still paced for point totals equal to Texier and Sillinger playing 2-3 mins less…
Comparing KJ to Marchenko and Chinakhov highlights how unimpessing the two have actually been despite being two years older. Feels like they are given too much slack because they arrived to NA later. Also Marchenko's lovable personality probably helps with how harshly he is judged. I've seen people calling him an untouchable piece, which is absolutely ridiculous looking at his age and on ice results

Last edited:

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Porovnanie KJ s Marčenkom a Chinakhovom poukazuje na to, akí boli tí dvaja v skutočnosti nevýrazní napriek tomu, že boli o dva roky starší. Zdá sa, že majú príliš veľa voľnosti, pretože prišli do NA neskôr. K tomu, ako tvrdo je súdený, pravdepodobne pomáha aj Marčenkova milá osobnosť. Videl som ľudí, ktorí ho nazývali nedotknuteľným kúskom, čo je úplne smiešne pri pohľade na jeho vek a výsledky na ľade
Chinakhov je len o rok starší ako Johnson, bol často zranený. Tiež je to Rus, ktorý nevedel po anglicky, bol tu sám. Navyše európske ligy nie sú ligami NA.
Btw, Chinakhov has a great shoot and can play in the PK. He is more versatile than Johnson.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Comparing KJ to Marchenko and Chinakhov highlights how unimpessing the two have actually been despite being two years older. Feels like they are given too much slack because they arrived to NA later. Also Marchenko's lovable personality probably helps with how harshly he is judged.
I think you're ignoring a couple important differences between these 3 players.

5OA vs 21OA and 49OA. Johnson has been a highly touted prospect around here until last season when more people started tempering their expectations. His development has been a little disappointing so far, he still has a lot to work on in terms of speed, strength and ability to play the position he was projected to play at NHL level at the time of his draft. Right now Marchenko and Chinakhov look more well-rounded players in many ways.

I hope you're not trying to argue KJ would've had similar ice time and results as Johnston if he had been playing in Dallas last year. I don't think the coaches' or management's decision-making on lineups and ice time has been the main reason KJ isn't playing successful hockey as soon as we would have hoped.

Last edited:

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

I think Pageau makes more sense than several other options. You just need to investigate why last year was down. The typical reaction to the possibility of bringing anyone in to this team is “he is too old”, but then people say they want to add veterans. He had decent ice time in the playoffs. Two years left on his contract so it isn’t a major commitment if it doesn’t work.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

All indications are that he's washed. I, personally, am not interested as I don't think he's a good stop gap. If we're actually going for a top 6 center, I would actually prefer we put big chips in and go for someone in the 23-25 range with either term or the ability to sign long term as part of the core. Not an easy get but that would be my preference. I think a lot depends on who we end up with in the draft to see how long the horizon is for them to be in the NHL. Could also see major steps from Fantilli, Sillinger and Voronkov this year that could change the future thinking... That said, I do think a 1 year stop gap veteran would be nice but one that will contribute more than Pageau

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I hope you're not trying to argue KJ would've had similar ice time and results as Johnston if he had been playing in Dallas last year.
Clearly I’m not saying that. Not sure where you got that from at all. Anyways, go look at their rookie years, almost identical. Understand that the Stars have played Johnston in a favorable position for the last two years. KJ was in a great spot last year, this season PV played him mostly with Bemstrom and Sillinger on a bad team and bad matchups.
I don't think the coaches' or management's decision-making on lineups and ice time has been the main reason KJ isn't playing successful hockey as soon as we would have hoped.
He played a minute less a night. Had better CF%, FF%, SF%, HDCF%, GF% and xG% at all strengths and even strength. His P/60 at 5v5 was higher than his rookie year, and better than Gaudreau this season! This year the most ice time was spent alongside Sillinger, Bemstrom, Marchenko, Fantilli, Voronkov vs last year Roslovic, Sillinger, Marchenko, Laine, Gaudreau. Which has more proven NHL talent and/or guys that score at a decent clip?
Notice how the veteran players are who KJ ends up scoring the most with?
1719490427335.jpeg

Last edited:

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Chinakov was 8th in league in 5v 5 goals …. The way PV used Kj, and the Russians , is probably a major factor in why he’s no longer the coach here …

Left winger Yegor Chinakhov became the first Blue Jackets player to sign a contract with Waddell, inking a two-year, $4.2 million contract on Friday that will pay him $2.1 million in each of the next two seasons. Chinakhov, 23, will still be a restricted free agent when the deal expires after the 2025-26 season. He had 16-13-29 in 53 games, but played only 15:10 per game. Interestingly, his goals-per-60 (minutes) at five-on-five play (1.38) was tops on the Blue Jackets and eighth-best in the entire NHL. Give that man some ice time.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Chinakov was 8th in league in 5v 5 goals …. The way PV used Kj, and the Russians , is probably a major factor in why he’s no longer the coach here …

Left winger Yegor Chinakhov became the first Blue Jackets player to sign a contract with Waddell, inking a two-year, $4.2 million contract on Friday that will pay him $2.1 million in each of the next two seasons. Chinakhov, 23, will still be a restricted free agent when the deal expires after the 2025-26 season. He had 16-13-29 in 53 games, but played only 15:10 per game. Interestingly, his goals-per-60 (minutes) at five-on-five play (1.38) was tops on the Blue Jackets and eighth-best in the entire NHL. Give that man some ice time.
That's a fair point for Chinakhov. His production looks fine in per 60 stats. Didn't realize he got so few minutes even with so many injuries.

Getting tougher line matchups will surely knock him out of this season's per 60 levels, but it will be interesting to see how it goes.

Last edited:

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
The athletic/NYT seems to think we have interest in Mcgroarty, smells like BS for clicks to me.
hockey insider: there is a good, young player available, columbus could have interest

you: bullshit!

They only mention Jiricek and Mateychuk as the pieces Winnipeg would be interested in, as well as the 4th. Which are all instant nonstarters.
tbf they say that the jackets would be unlikely to part with any of those assets without wpg adding

I think the clear resolution to this is mcgroarty for chychrun but I think the jackets could pull off a deal without giving up any of their premium guys, and I think mcgroarty would be a great fit here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad