GDT: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GoChill

Apr 19, 2007
Honestly , I don’t think the team is remotely considering a defenseman with the first pick . We took Lindstrom , Sennecke, Inginla out to dinner , no word of any defenseman that I’m aware of .. I thought I read Catton as well somewhere, but not 100% sure on him…

I think if the draft goes
Celebrini
Demidov
Lindstrom

That we would try to trade back , if we can’t , I believe we would take Sennecke at 4 .
If the draft goes as you suggest I would jump all over Levshunov. I know he is not the most popular choice here but given how many scouts like him I would go with him. Good size, right handed, good skater, physical, has offense. He may have his rough edges but he has handled a lot coming over at his age, learning English, taking college classes,new culture etc. Plus it sounds like great work ethic always in the gym or in the practice rink. He just sounds like a guy driven to succeed.

Reactions: Xoggz22

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
If the draft goes as you suggest I would jump all over Levshunov. I know he is not the most popular choice here but given how many scouts like him I would go with him. Good size, right handed, good skater, physical, has offense. He may have his rough edges but he has handled a lot coming over at his age, learning English, taking college classes,new culture etc. Plus it sounds like great work ethic always in the gym or in the practice rink. He just sounds like a guy driven to succeed.
Hope it doesn’t , really want Demidov or Lindstrom.. and honestly I think Chicago needs to take a defenseman , as does Anaheim , just preparing for worst case . Scouts do really like Levshunov, and he’s a right D, so still a great pick up

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023

Kinda shocked to see Catton not in the top 10 after the year he just put up. I just truly don't understand it.

If it's between Lindstrom and a dman, give me Lindstrom. Like others have mentioned, he's going to be useful in some facet if the back is okay.

Thoughts on Sennecke?

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Gudbranson has actually become a very good skater in the NHL. He was billed as a strong skater for his size and I don't think that ended up being wrong. He's fast forward and backward, and he doesn't have a lot of weaknesses in terms of pivoting. He gets burned occasionally but that's because he misreads the play. I expect Silayev to be better but not really because he's taller or a better skater, I just generally like Silayev's defensive reads. I'm not sure whether Silayev tops out around Gavrikov or Chara level defense. Silayev does make mistakes and attackers can get pucks through his long legs.

His ability to weave skating the puck forward is not something I put a lot of stock in. He has the skating for it but zero natural deception. He's not quickly reading defenders when he skates the puck forward.
Yeah don't get me wrong, I don't dislike Gudbranson. I feel I'm one of the few posters who have been defending him since the deal was signed. He's worth damn near every cent when he's properly utilized both on the ice and in the locker room. The problem is that people were expecting Pronger or Phanuef outta the draft and hes been labeled a bust because where he was picked.

And that's why I keep emphasizing that with Silayev you just need to beat it into his head to keep his game simple, especially while he's still young. We don't need him to make big plays, just to make the simple plays. Especially when you have guys like Jiricek, Z and Mateychuk likely on the roster who excel at that.

And fwiw he's also been a captain of the last two Team Russia groups he's played for.

But it's all moot since I would say there's less than a 5-10% chance that we're going to take him. Just trying to have a different conversation than the same one we've been having about Lindstrom and Demidov for the last month.

Kinda shocked to see Catton not in the top 10 after the year he just put up. I just truly don't understand it.

If it's between Lindstrom and a dman, give me Lindstrom. Like others have mentioned, he's going to be useful in some facet if the back is okay.

Thoughts on Sennecke?
There's a few of us who would like the pick. I just can't see us passing Lindstrom given the clean bill of health.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
...I think Chicago needs to take a defenseman, as does Anaheim...
I keep hearing Chicago can't skip on a running mate for Bedard so expect it to be Demidov and then Hawks can use their mid first rounder on a defensemen. As for Anaheim, yeah they need to focus on the d-men here. So while Lindstrom is not my first choice because of concerns on his back, I think he is the top prospect available to us alongside 3-4 top d-men.
...Thoughts on Sennecke?
I am very intrigued by Sennecke.
  • He has a ton of skill as a forward playmaker (maybe he's not Demidov but some think he's uber skilled).
  • His skating looks awkward to me in the film I have seen but the scouts say he's a fantastic skater and I realize he's still learning how to handle his extra four inches go height
  • Scouting said he was a puck hound before his growth spurt so the thinking is once he fills out his frame (and there is nothing to suggest he's a KJ who cannot put on mass) he could become a puckhound again. Maybe not the physical force Lindstrom is but perhaps a power forward we crave like Josh Anderson was that first couple years in Columbus.
  • I know some people think #4 is too rich for Sennecke but I think Pronman had him in his top seven so maybe not.
There are others but Pronman: I think Sennecke belongs in the grouping with Demidov. Demidov has more puck play, he’s more skilled and smarter, but Sennecke is notably bigger and faster and has elite skill as well. To me he clears the boundary to be considered a premium wing prospect and merit a top-10 pick.

He was so dynamic, especially in the playoffs. He has a rare combination of size, speed and elite puck skills. He’s a highlight-reel machine. I also thought he was much more competitive and consistent as the year went on. His regular season production is a bit scary, but in context of the talent, playoffs and great 16-year-old season I’m not that concerned. I think he has the potential to be a legit top-line wing in the NHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Napoli

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Order of probability:

1. Lindstrom
2. Sennecke
3. Iginla
4. Someone else

(These are the three confirmed players they took to dinner at the combine)
I agree (hope) that LIndstrom would be the pick. But I can't help but wonder if a D like Dickinson or Buium wouldn't be a better (safer) pick than Sennecke or Iginla. Watching the draft is going to be interesting.

Cheddarcheese

Oct 24, 2023
i think if Demidov falls to us, i could see the blue jackets making a hockey trade maybe we give up KJ + for Owen Powers/Jordan spence/logan stanley or andersson or something along that line.

this draft is weird to me im more excited about the teen picks maybe its the risk reward lmao

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
I agree (hope) that LIndstrom would be the pick. But I can't help but wonder if a D like Dickinson or Buium wouldn't be a better (safer) pick than Sennecke or Iginla. Watching the draft is going to be interesting.
I don't want us taking a safe pick in the top 5. Go for the guy who your scouts say is has the highest potential and most likely to hit it.

Reactions: NotTooWideArena

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I don't want us taking a safe pick in the top 5. Go for the guy who your scouts say is has the highest potential and most likely to hit it.

The guys with the highest potential are the riskiest, and the guys most likely to hit a high potential are not the highest potential guys.

I am trending back to Yakemchuk if Demidov is gone. Very high potential which he might not hit but floor is also pretty high. No need to rush him with the Severson contract. In 5 years we could have 1LD, 1RD, and 2RD locked up with Mateychuk, Jiricek, and Yakemchuk and our D would look pretty good. No need to take the risk on a guy with a herniated disk.

Still very ok with trading the pick.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
my personal preferences, in order:
  1. demidov
  2. sennecke
  3. lindstrom
to me demidov is a slam dunk star player and a potential pastrnak type wing. i don't care that we already have a lot of wingers because he will be the best of the group by far.

sennecke will take longer to get to that level but there are so many elements to his game that i love. he's on a steep upward trajectory and screams top-line winger to me. lindstrom is also a really compelling player and i'd be really happy with the long-term 1-2 punch he and fantilli would provide down the middle.

of this group, demidov has the shortest path to being an NHL contributor and the highest ceiling. it's also easier for wingers to step into the NHL and contribute. with all the other pieces the jackets have, they could (and should, imo) look to fill the 2C spot with a more established player via trade.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
If I take a swing and miss the home run I'd be satisfied with a triple...or a double.

This club needs a few more guys putting in a yeomans effort on a nightly basis.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
The guys with the highest potential are the riskiest, and the guys most likely to hit a high potential are not the highest potential guys.

I am trending back to Yakemchuk if Demidov is gone. Very high potential which he might not hit but floor is also pretty high. No need to rush him with the Severson contract. In 5 years we could have 1LD, 1RD, and 2RD locked up with Mateychuk, Jiricek, and Yakemchuk and our D would look pretty good. No need to take the risk on a guy with a herniated disk.

Still very ok with trading the pick.
I get that but you look for the guys with highest potentials and then you assess from those guys, who are the most likely to hit from those guys.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
The Ducks can't possibly take Sennecke. There aren't nearly enough people here talking about wanting him as the best pick for the Jackets. It just wouldn't make sense. :nod:
They're just lulling us into a false sense of security. Then on draft day, they strike.

Reactions: Viqsi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad