Offseason Roster Moves, Rumors and Discussion

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
What moves should we make this offseason? Who should stay and go? Will we be active in the UFA/trade market? Will anyone be bought out?

Discuss all offseason roster matters in here.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

The million dollar question for him and the rest of the RFA forwards. My thought is keep them all RFA's for next time contract expires and no more than $15mm combined for him,Marchenko,KJ,Nylander & Sillinger.
Order of how I would prioritize the $:
Marchenko
Chinakov
KJ
Sillinger/Nylander

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
The million dollar question for him and the rest of the RFA forwards. My thought is keep them all RFA's for next time contract expires and no more than $15mm combined for him,Marchenko,KJ,Nylander & Sillinger.
Marchenko
Chinakov
KJ
Sillinger/Nylander
For me its

Marchenko
KJ
Chinakhov
Silly
Nylander

I Really don’t think Silly and Nylander contracts will add up to more than 4.5 million or so.

The top three are the wild cards.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Marchenko
Chinakov
KJ
Sillinger/Nylander

For me its

Marchenko
KJ
Chinakhov
Silly
Nylander

I Really don’t think Silly and Nylander contracts will add up to more than 4.5 million or so.

The top three are the wild cards.

I don't see why it would cost much, since none seem to be in position to go long term yet.

I'd consider going long term with Marchenko and Chinakhov but only if they're giving up a lot in potential salary. So I'm guessing all five of these guys are on 1 or 2 year extensions.

Marchenko - 3.75m
Chinakhov - 3.75m
KJ - $1.75m
Silly - $1.5m
Nylander - $1m

That's $11.75m for the five.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I don't see why it would cost much, since none seem to be in position to go long term yet.

I'd consider going long term with Marchenko and Chinakhov but only if they're giving up a lot in potential salary. So I'm guessing all five of these guys are on 1 or 2 year extensions.

Marchenko - 3.75m
Chinakhov - 3.75m
KJ - $1.75m
Silly - $1.5m
Nylander - $1m

That's $11.75m for the five.
I know you aren't a Sillinger fan but you are woefully under your estimate on him. I still don't understand your position with him, but it's yours and is what it is. If he's under $2.5/yr AAV I would be shocked. I also think you could see both Marchenko and/or Chinkhov being offered "long" term deals. By that I mean 4 years or more, buying some UFA years. Marchenko moreso than Chinakhov due to the prior two years.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I know you aren't a Sillinger fan but you are woefully under your estimate on him. I still don't understand your position with him, but it's yours and is what it is. If he's under $2.5/yr AAV I would be shocked.

He hasn't done a thing in his career that you wouldn't expect from a 4th liner or call-up. I don't know why you'd just give him a substantially higher salary than that.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
No way Sillinger gets more than 2.5M AAV unless if he signs a 6-8 year contract. Even then I don’t think it would be much over 3M AAV.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Why and for what?
You know what our needs are. You know we have other talented guys who can play that position. And you know he has value as a trade chip. And you know our new GM plans to have several new players on the roster for 2024-2025.

That's all the rationale I needed to make that prediction. I'm not advocating for getting rid of him.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
No way Sillinger gets more than 2.5M AAV unless if he signs a 6-8 year contract. Even then I don’t think it would be much over 3M AAV.
i get why people don't think he's gonna get that much (and personally i wouldn't like giving him that much) but the comps show that he'll likely be right around that $2.5m number if you account for the cap going up.
  • kaapo kakko: 2 years $2.1m aav
    • was a few months older when his ELC expired than sillinger is now
    • 58p in 157gp during ELC (0.37p/gp)
  • jesperi kotkaniemi: 1 year $6.1m
    • outlier since it was a poison pill offer sheet
    • 62p in 171gp during ELC (0.36p/gp)
  • alexis lafreniere: 2 years $2.35m avv
    • 91p in 236gp during ELC (0.38p/gp)
cole sillinger currently has 74p in 220gp (0.34p/gp) – so his production is pretty much right where the three guys above were in their ELCs.

some of y'all might be like "oh no, cbjthrowaway, the worst deal on that list was a don waddell special" and uhhh sure (more like a tom dundon special but whatever) – i'd instead point out that sillinger is actually a prime target for a kotkaniemi-style offer sheet.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
i get why people don't think he's gonna get that much (and personally i wouldn't like giving him that much) but the comps show that he'll likely be right around that $2.5m number if you account for the cap going up.
cole sillinger currently has 74p in 220gp (0.34p/gp) – so his production is pretty much right where the three guys above were in their ELCs.

some of y'all might be like "oh no, cbjthrowaway, the worst deal on that list was a don waddell special" and uhhh sure (more like a tom dundon special but whatever) – i'd instead point out that sillinger is actually a prime target for a kotkaniemi-style offer sheet.

Those guys don't get those contracts if they're not top 3 picks. All of them played like journeymen and got paid above that because of their draft status.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011

While their point say be similar I’d rather have Lafreniere than Sillinger which for me would track with Sillinger getting $2M or less AAV.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Those guys don't get those contracts if they're not top 3 picks. All of them played like journeymen and got paid above that because of their draft status.
What about guys like Laughton? Rasmussen? What about guys like Lundell? Frost? Greig? All in the same area production wise and some coming off their ELCs? All making north of $2MM and some north of $3MM. I simply think you are underestimating what Cole will get and just don't get the unabbashed disdain for him as a player. Don't worry, I'm done pushing on this. you and I will just need to disagree on this one.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
What about guys like Laughton? Rasmussen? What about guys like Lundell? Frost? Greig? All in the same area production wise and some coming off their ELCs? All making north of $2MM and some north of $3MM.

I don't know all of those players in detail but several of them are higher end when it comes to checking and defense. Cole Sillinger hasn't done that yet. He had like a 44% xG% this year. He's young and we'll see, but if we're talking about what he has provided so far, he has given us less than journeyman like Danforth. Drop this "unabbashed disdain" talk, I'm giving you regular analysis.

Reactions: domi28

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I don't know all of those players in detail but several of them are higher end when it comes to checking and defense. Cole Sillinger hasn't done that yet. He had like a 44% xG% this year. He's young and we'll see, but if we're talking about what he has provided so far, he has given us less than journeyman like Danforth. Drop this "unabbashed disdain" talk, I'm giving you regular analysis.
It is not ideal compare similar stats our players with other if players from other teams are in better situation.

Reactions: koteka

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
OK... regular analysis. Got it. That's not how I see it from you but, whatever.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
You know what our needs are. You know we have other talented guys who can play that position. And you know he has value as a trade chip. And you know our new GM plans to have several new players on the roster for 2024-2025.

That's all the rationale I needed to make that prediction. I'm not advocating for getting rid of him.
Johnson to MTL for WPG's 1st, Harris and Dvorak/Anderson it is!

No, seriously, the only reason I see them moving on from Johnson is:
1. They include him in a package for a guy like R. Andersson or B. Tkachuk. This is what you're alluding to.
2. They are 100 % convinced that Demidov or Sennecke will be better and do a trade with Montréal for the 5th pick. That seems like an opportune moment for a reminder that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Neither is likely. Possible? Sure. But I don't see it happening. I think if a Johnson trade happens, it's during the next off-season, when he hopefully has had a bounce back year and isn't injured.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4