Offseason Roster Moves, Rumors, and Discussion

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
How good of a prospect is McGroarty? Can't say that I am particularly interested in a guy demanding playing time in the NHL before he shows he deserves it.
Hes a good prospect but hes more of the same, dont know why we would pursue another offensive prospect unless the deal is just too good to pass up I guess

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
How good of a prospect is McGroarty? Can't say that I am particularly interested in a guy demanding playing time in the NHL before he shows he deserves it.
he's arguably one of the best drafted prospects in hockey. hobey baker finalist (52p in 36gp at michigan this year) and was the captain for team USA at WJCs. during his draft year I remember analysts saying he has future NHL captain written all over him.

stylistically, he's a two-way power winger who is a really good playmaker. imagine sillinger but with better hockey IQ + hands + playmaking.

I think he's a pretty safe bet to be a good second line winger who does the dirty work but has enough skill to contribute on his own.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
@Viqsi, you are a Nashville fan too. What would you think of signing Alexandre Carrier as Werenski's linemate?
MMmmmmmmmaybe. I'm biased towards wanting a shutdown guy and Carrier isn't that; he's another two way "jack of all trades" blueliner of the type we've got several of already. I wouldn't mind having him but I don't think he's actually a solution.

It'd basically come down to chemistry and that's IMO near-impossible to predict.

Reactions: Aaaarrgghh

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
My biggest question on offense would be is Johnny Gaudreau part of the problem or part of the solution? If Johnny is part of the problem, rip the band aid off and move him.

If Johnny is part of the solution, The Don has to do everything in his power to get him going. He can't pay a guy $9.75M to be a 60 point/-27 player for the next 5 years. He can't wait on a bunch of unproven prospects to get his superstar going. He needs to use his available capital to solve this problem now. If that means trading valuable players, picks, and or prospects, so be it.

Reactions: puckgoalnet

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
My biggest question on offense would be is Johnny Gaudreau part of the problem or part of the solution? If Johnny is part of the problem, rip the band aid off and move him.

If Johnny is part of the solution, The Don has to do everything in his power to get him going. He can't pay a guy $9.75M to be a 60 point/-27 player for the next 5 years. He can't wait on a bunch of unproven prospects to get his superstar going. He needs to use his available capital to solve this problem now. If that means trading valuable players, picks, and or prospects, so be it.
Johnny’s career seems to be kinda like this where he alternates good years and bad years. It’s annoying but I expect him to be much better next year with a better coach and hopefully further developed linemates.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020

to add to this point, i don't think the previous FO necessarily whiffed on player evaluations, but they have absolutely failed to put any of those players in a position to succeed.

waddell coming in from carolina is encouraging. the canes and panthers are the two teams that imo are exceptionally good at getting the most out of each individual player.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana

I wouldn't mind signing him to a league minimum so that he can retire here.
Man, the Jake for Cam trade was a massive win for CBJ and would've been crazy huge if Jake stayed healthy. Too bad, I wasn't done with him quite yet but this turned out very positively for CBJ nonetheless. Cam had quite the career himself, will be interesting to see where he continues, if he does.

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
Johnny’s career seems to be kinda like this where he alternates good years and bad years. It’s annoying but I expect him to be much better next year with a better coach and hopefully further developed linemates.
Johnny has been here two years and they've both sucked (relative to what we are paying him). I wouldn't sit on my ass waiting on Boone Jenner or a 19 year old kid to be the solution to get my superstar going.

The Don probably doesn't know too much about many of the draft prospects, but he'd be intimately familiar with the majority of our roster, especially Johnny. Solving this problem would have to be at the top of the list for The Don.

Reactions: cbjthrowaway

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
Johnny has been here two years and they've both sucked (relative to what we are paying him). I wouldn't sit on my ass waiting on Boone Jenner or a 19 year old kid to be the solution to get my superstar going.

The Don probably doesn't know too much about many of the draft prospects, but he'd be intimately familiar with the majority of our roster, especially Johnny. Solving this problem would have to be at the top of the list for The Don.
I think I said he'd have been the 2nd guy (player wise) in my office with Jenner being first out of respect for his captaincy. He needs to determine what exactly his issue is if any and remedy it one way or another..

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

The team has sucked and if the thought was that Johnny was the savior to cancel all the piles of shit on this sandwich... then I think the expectations were wrong. The roster construction wasn't what it needed when he was added and it hasn't necessarily gotten better. I'd like to see what another year of growth and changes to the lineup does before declaring this a loss.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think I said he'd have been the 2nd guy (player wise) in my office with Jenner being first out of respect for his captaincy. He needs to determine what exactly his issue is if any and remedy it one way or another..

In earlier discussions we figured out that his 5v5 primary assists, his bread and butter, are still fantastic. 12th in the league last year.

The shortcoming is

1) Very few secondary assists. Certainly a linemate quality issue.

2) Very few goals. He had endless scoring looks this year, it wasn't a question of chances. His finishing touch isn't there right now.

3) Shit powerplay.

You attack each of these three issues separately.

FWIW I'm not even considering trading Gaudreau.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Man, the Jake for Cam trade was a massive win for CBJ and would've been crazy huge if Jake stayed healthy. Too bad, I wasn't done with him quite yet but this turned out very positively for CBJ nonetheless. Cam had quite the career himself, will be interesting to see where he continues, if he does.
Hartnell for Umberger was a big win for us also

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Poor guy. He's had to live in Milwaukee for how long now for nothing.
I'm pretty sure the Preds know what they're doing, a similar tactic was taken with Rinne + Saros and that turned out pretty well.

I'm more dreading the endless flood of crap proposals for Askarov that are inevitably coming.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad