Speculation: Offseason coaching thread: Should they stay or should they go?

Coaches:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
He should've been gone after missing the playoffs last year for sure.

People acting like we weren't a healthy goaltender away from making a legitimate run in 2022 are completely out to lunch. It's laughable.
I'm more sour about 2021. That was actually a very strong roster. Division winners.
2022 was more like a good 2 weeks from the Forwards in the playoffs, after a bleh regular season. Hard to say if they could have kept it up.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Sullivan isn't going anywhere this summer. We can stop that fantasy.

As I mentioned elsewhere, even though Pittsburgh is a natural landing spot for Keefe for obvious reasons, I wonder if it's what he wants.

If New Jersey or Seattle, in particular, like him enough, he should be able to jump right to another head coaching gig.

For the record, I don't want Keefe or Quinn, but I think one or both joining the organization seems reasonably possible. I don't hate Quinn or Keefe like I do Reirden, but I think there are far better candidates out there to improve the staff.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
I'm more sour about 2021. That was actually a very strong roster. Division winners.
2022 was more like a good 2 weeks from the Forwards in the playoffs, after a bleh regular season. Hard to say if they could have kept it up.
A long illustrious history of rookie goaltenders blowing chunks in the playoffs (or playing out of their minds, sure). The backup option was...Dustin Tokarski. Honestly, DT still should've gotten a look given Jarry's form, and that falls on Sully, but given how much this board likes to bring up this series as a reason Jarry shouldn't be here, it seems a bit dissonant to also use the same series as a reason Sully should've been let go right after. Then again, it wouldn't have been the first time goaltending has sunk a coach.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Has anyone suggested that? Hell, we've easily have made it to round two with Spicy Pork absent one Trouba chicken wing.
Idk, based off what's on this board lately, you'd think the Pens have looked completely dead in the water ever since Kris Letang lost his brain in G5 against the caps in 2018. Whereas that's just been true for 2019 and 2020.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I'm not sure what's going on. I thought it was against the rules to fire a coach who has an extension in place? Aren't those guys given endless excuses and chances?
Nope, you can fire them whenever you want. Doesn't mean that the organization doesn't still owe them the money stipulated in the contract though, unless someone else picks him up (which they would so it's a non-issue).

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Nope, you can fire them whenever you want. Doesn't mean that the organization doesn't still owe them the money stipulated in the contract though, unless someone else picks him up (which they would so it's a non-issue).
I was being sarcastic. My post was meant to show just how stupid I think this organization is about keeping Sullivan because there's really no excuse for it, even monetarily.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I know it's hard for people here to believe, but the Penguins as a team (all of ownership, management and players) like Sullivan as the head coach and he won't be moved until at least one of those groups changes their minds on him. Which considering what has happened in the last 2 years, I'm really not sure what it would take at this point.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I know it's hard for people here to believe, but the Penguins as a team (all of ownership, management and players) like Sullivan as the head coach and he won't be moved until at least one of those groups changes their minds on him. Which considering what has happened in the last 2 years, I'm really not sure what it would take at this point.

"You know... I never much cared for Tom Brady"

Maybe that?

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
It's going to take something significant. It won't just be on-ice results. Maybe the availability of another elite coach or something like that.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
The Penguins core is the most winning-est core the NHL has seen in the last 30 years.
The core needed help to set their legacy. The core wasn't going to win another without it. They were able to carry the team for their first couple of runs winning one cup. Without guys like Kessel in 2016 and 2017 or without Guentzel 2017 this teams core is sitting at 2 finals and 1 cup.

The Leafs don't have a Crosby/ Malkin or McDavid/Draisaitl level players and their depth isn't anything to speak of. There's only one loser on that team, and they made him their captain. JT was over paid and over stepped

Chicago won just as many cups with one core, and Tampa was a keen winner though they only won 2 out of 4 chances.

The Pens also had 3 missed playoffs and 8 1st round cave-ins. in 19 seasons leaving 3 2nd round losses, 1 conference final loss and 4 finals with 3 cups.

The cups are all that matters, and Chicago has matched them.

Reactions: Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The core needed help to set their legacy. The core wasn't going to win another without it. They were able to carry the team for their first couple of runs winning one cup. Without guys like Kessel in 2016 and 2017 or without Gusntzel 2017 this teams core is sitting at 2 finals and 1 cup.

The Leafs don't have a Crosby/ Malkin or McDavid/Draisaitl level players and their depth isn't anything to speak of. There's only one loser on that team, and they made him their captain. JT was over paid and over stepped

Chicago won just as many cups with one core, and Tampa was a keen winner though they only won 2 out of 4 chances.

The Pens also had 3 missed playoffs and 8 1st round cave-ins. in 19 seasons leaving 3 2nd round losses, 1 conference final loss and 4 finals with 3 cups.

The cups are all that matters, and Chicago has matched them.

Literally nothing in this word salad refutes what I said. The Penguins are the best organization in the NHL in the last 30 years. Trying to make it "they wouldn't have won without Kessel or Guentzel!" is completely irrelevant to that fact. The fact that Penguins fans on here are trying to diminish how the Penguins have been the class of the league over that window just shows how spoiled this fanbase is.

The Leafs are a bunch of losers and the entire organization has been a bunch of losers for the last 55 years. They're in the same perpetual loser of a franchise status as the Oilers and Sabres are.

Reactions: Rave7215

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Kyle Dubas being fired so they could move him up there.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Literally nothing in this word salad refutes what I said. The Penguins are the best organization in the NHL in the last 30 years. Trying to make it "they wouldn't have won without Kessel or Guentzel!" is completely irrelevant to that fact. The fact that Penguins fans on here are trying to diminish how the Penguins have been the class of the league over that window just shows how spoiled this fanbase is.

The Leafs are a bunch of losers and the entire organization has been a bunch of losers for the last 55 years. They're in the same perpetual loser of a franchise status as the Oilers and Sabres are.
Sure it does, you choose not recognize it doesn't make "the core" above all because, the core changed at a key time.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I can't wait until the Pens are out of the playoffs by December after two months of lacklustre play so that we can find new excuses for why we suck other than the coach.

I'm sure Yohe is already brainstorming ideas about who to blame.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Sure it does, you choose not recognize it doesn't make "the core" above all because, the core changed at a key time.

Just proving my point about how spoiled some Penguins fans are.

The Penguins core have shown to be the most winning core of any team in the last 30 years. The Leafs have a 55 year track record of being losers. Yeah, I'm not going to blame Keefe for not being able to fix that long track record of being terrible.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I can't wait until the Pens are out of the playoffs by December after two months of lacklustre play so that we can find new excuses for why we suck other than the coach.

I'm sure Yohe is already brainstorming ideas about who to blame.

Ever since the 2017 cup win, it's been for better of lack of depth, depth that grew worse with each passing season.

Just proving my point about how spoiled some Penguins fans are.

The Penguins core have shown to be the most winning core of any team in the last 30 years. The Leafs have a 55 year track record of being losers. Yeah, I'm not going to blame Keefe for not being able to fix that long track record of being terrible.
Chicago.....

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Chicago.....

The Penguins core has been more successful than the Hawks core.

They had the same amount of cups while the Penguins made an additional cup final, were good for longer and missed the playoffs fewer times. The Blackhawks were only truly "good" from 2008-2009 through 2016-2017. They fell off to a .500 team starting in 2017-2018 with Toews, Keith and Kane still on the roster and have continued to be that since.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Ever since the 2017 cup win, it's been for better of lack of depth, depth that grew worse with each passing season.
Yes ... depth. Lack of depth explain why the entire team looks like headless chickens and why bizarre line combinations are used and why we play the most boring, ineffective offensive system in the NHL.

If only we had more depth all those issues would disappear.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I mean let's be real, it's both Sullivan has been shit and the Penguins have had shit depth. It's not an either/or thing here.

Pretty much every player on this team outside of Sidney Crosby can be accurately blamed to some level for what this team has become in the last 2 years. Some have more blame than others (Sullivan obviously, Jarry, depth guys), but Crosby's the only truly innocent guy with this team.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I mean let's be real, it's both Sullivan has been shit and the Penguins have had shit depth. It's not an either/or thing here.

Pretty much every player on this team outside of Sidney Crosby can be accurately blamed to some level for what this team has become in the last 2 years.

Imagine if the Penguins had a top nine forward like this guy Danton Heinen in Boston.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad