OT: Official Sports Media Thread XI :Self-proclaimed ‘sports dork’ Michael Felger of The Sports Hub feels like he ‘will do this forever’

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I think he should be pumping gas and it should be Mego and Mazz but thats just me. Hate the negative crap and he sidesteps trashing everyone never stands by his word just a coward. Won't get into politics and compare him to the guy who used to host the big show on Fox News but hes basically that guy.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Gas pumpers don't get the ratings Felger gets. It's a much more enjoyable show than if the hosts leaned homer side of things. Those types of shows can be left to podcasts. Plus I often think Mazz and Murray are more negative than he is.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Gas pumpers don't get the ratings Felger gets. It's a much more enjoyable show than if the hosts leaned homer side of things. Those types of shows can be left to podcasts. Plus I often think Mazz and Murray are more negative than he is.

It's not that they don't lean homer. It's the bullshit manufactured drama they bring up only for ratings. If they really believed the things they put out there, it would be different. They'd also be the dumbest sports commentators in the business, because by its very nature, the silly contrarian stuff they say has to be stupid, or they don't get the enraged callers that drive the ratings. It's pure performance art, and the dumbest of listeners they rely on for ratings can't even see that.

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
Screenshot 2024-08-20 at 3.51.08 PM.jpeg

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
It's not that they don't lean homer. It's the bullshit manufactured drama they bring up only for ratings. If they really believed the things they put out there, it would be different. They'd also be the dumbest sports commentators in the business, because by its very nature, the silly contrarian stuff they say has to be stupid, or they don't get the enraged callers that drive the ratings. It's pure performance art, and the dumbest of listeners they rely on for ratings can't even see that.
Their whole job is to get ratings though. If they didn't they would be replaced. They are excellent at their job. Doesn't mean everyone will like them. Doesn't even have to mean that listeners agree with them.

The dumbest part of sports talk radio to me are the actual callers.

Reactions: Bruinswillwin77

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Their whole job is to get ratings though. If they didn't they would be replaced. They are excellent at their job. Doesn't mean everyone will like them. Doesn't even have to mean that listeners agree with them.

The dumbest part of sports talk radio to me are the actual callers.

I never said they aren't doing their "job". My complaint is that the entire industry of print and media "journalism" has deteriorated into click-bait and "gotcha" stories/topics that have very little to do with journalism and even less to do with the truth. It's all lowest common denominator bullshit, and I really don't know why people fall for it.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I never said they aren't doing their "job". My complaint is that the entire industry of print and media "journalism" has deteriorated into click-bait and "gotcha" stories/topics that have very little to do with journalism and even less to do with the truth. It's all lowest common denominator bullshit, and I really don't know why people fall for it.
I don't think most fans are gonna go out of their way to sift through 1,000 boring podcasts all doing the same stuff. If you are a sports fan and want to at least be up to date on what's going on with the teams then boom it's right there for you on the radio in the car but more for me it's the TV simulcast. I have NBC Sports Boston on in background as I work from home. Doesn't mean I am a massive fan of Felger. The idiot callers are the extreme minority. Most viewers/listeners would never think of calling in. So I like to think I can form my own opinions. I don't always agree with Felger or Mazz. Other times I do.

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I don't think most fans are gonna go out of their way to sift through 1,000 boring podcasts all doing the same stuff. If you are a sports fan and want to at least be up to date on what's going on with the teams then boom it's right there for you on the radio in the car but more for me it's the TV simulcast. I have NBC Sports Boston on in background as I work from home. Doesn't mean I am a massive fan of Felger. The idiot callers are the extreme minority. Most viewers/listeners would never think of calling in. So I like to think I can form my own opinions. I don't always agree with Felger or Mazz. Other times I do.

I've got news for you, even Felger and Mazz don't agree with Felger and Mazz, their shtick is ratings over everything, which includes their actual opinion, not to mention their integrity. I prefer sincerity and truthfulness, instead of slinging bullshit to drive ratings. If I need sports journalism, I'll listen to SiriusXM and skip the buffoons who are either mailing it in (Shank, KPD) or trying to put one over on the listeners in order to drive their ratings (everybody on local sports talk radio).

Remember, at the peak of Patrice Bergeron's career, Felger said "I think it's time to start talking about trading Patrice Bergeron".

I rest my case.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I commend you then, you're just on a superior level. Congrats.

Never said I'm superior, so don't put words in my mouth. I'm just saying my own opinion. You have a different one. Big deal. Chocolate and vanilla exist for a reason, so there's no need to get pissy.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
In fairness, Felger has said multiple times on the off-air show that the F&M program is intended for entertainment purposes and is "based" on actual sports news/events.

Admitting it's shtick doesn't make it any less shticky.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
surely the corpses of fred, steve and ordway would put up better numbers

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events