OT: Official Sports Media Thread XI :Self-proclaimed ‘sports dork’ Michael Felger of The Sports Hub feels like he ‘will do this forever’

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
My understanding is that Wallach apparently made an attempt to become a larger part of the "Dale and Holley Show" at one point, without running it by anyone. I believe Dale once made reference to a sponsored interview he and Holley did with Vince Wilfork where out of nowhere, Wallach started asking questions. Vince apparently felt ambushed and was not amused. That forced the station/Dale to step in and put Wallach in his place. Wallach then felt pigeonholed into his "Flash Guy" role and that ultimately led to his decision to leave.
I've heard similar. In essence, he tried to do Dale's job with Dale sitting right there. It didn't go over well.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Rich is not on the show this morning. It is Johnston and Wallach with him. Says he’ll talk about it at 8am

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I have been critical of Dale Arnold in the past as a "company man" willing to put his head down and collect the paycheck from NESN and, to a lesser extent, 'eei.

Two bits:

One, I did not enjoy his play by play calls. Granted, they coincided with a dreadful era for the B's under Sinden/OC.

Yet Dale Arnold finally became what he always should have been: the knowledgeable pre/intermission/post game studio host who summarizes the action, sets up the color guys and keeps the pace moving crisply. He was excellent at this, a perfect fit.

I also enjoyed his collaboration with Shawn Thornton on the latter's memoir, Fighting My Way to the Top.
I hope he does more of this going forward.

Two, whatever quibbles I've had over thirty years, it was always obvious to me that Dale Arnold is a decent, honorable man who puts the work in. I respect him for that.

Finally, I had never heard about an apparently fraught relationship between Arnold and eei flashboy John Wallach.

(I haven't listened to 'eei since, literally, 9/11, and it was from Wallach that I learned that two planes had crashed into the WTC.)

Wallach always seemed like an affable sort to me. He was one of the few people at that station I didn't detest.

What was the source of contention between him and Dale? I was surprised to read about this, yet not surprised at all that Arnold forthrightly apologized to John Wallach for whatever misunderstanding may have taken place.

Does anyone know what that was about? Curious.

Good luck, Dale,

:clap:
Excellent post well said

Dale every now and then would lose it and early on station wars he said Wallach was something along lines the least talented person in station or radio - whatever. But it was his skills he went after.

Wallach was a close friend of Jason Wolfe and probably how he got the job.

I agree I think Wallach is a very good person as well. He has a good sense of humor and doesn’t seem to have a mean bone in body - he’s also good on Celtics broadcasts.

Rich is not on the show this morning. It is Johnston and Wallach with him. Says he’ll talk about it at 8am
Ok interesting - just went to DD and heard Fred but no Rich

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
The last three weeks I stopped listening to the Greg Hill show, certain people on that show just make your IQ drop, and been listening to T&R since I heard Fred would not be on the air. I was enjoying it very much and liked the three of Rich, Wallach and Johnston.

One hour of Fred Toucher and the show just seems aimless and joyless.

MillerTime29Bombs

Feb 12, 2023
Woburn
Two hours in and now we have to hear of Fred’s woes. Dude no one cares. Divorce, normal everyday issues that we all deal with. Also there has been a lot of dead air this am as John and Ryan just let him ramble. No flow to the show

bruinsden

PRO/BOS Bruins!!!
Jul 2, 2006
Rhode Island
I was actually coming to this thread to say that Fred sounded better this morning, less complaining. But I only listened from about 7-7:30. Disappointed that it became a Fred pity party again.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK

I'm not shocked that Rich thinks things are hostile but the idea that no one likes Rich is bs. I also question the part about his wife but Fred did talk about Rich's wife on twitter so if she was on the phone that is probably why.

Minnehan and Fred are friends so it is no shock this is anti Rich. I've never once heard anyone say anything bad about Rich since he's been on the air here.

It feels like Fred is trying to be an edgier Matty in the Morning and doing a really shitty job at it.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
The show was so much better when Fred was gone. Not even close. LOL Minehane. Who sucking who.

FRyan4426

Feb 15, 2023
Kingston, MA
I don’t think I’ve ever heard a radio host screw up with wrong names and wrong Info more than Joe Murray. It’s all lazy lazy mistakes too. No idea how they put him on.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Looks like the Globe confirmed that a meeting did happen (Chad Finn needs to give Minnehan's show credit no matter how much in pains him to do so. Be ethical dude).

Will be interesting to see what is said on Monday by Rich. Tuesday could get wild.

If Fred wasn't such a narcissistic asshole this wouldn't have gotten to this level.

I'm on Team Rich

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

1684110682895.png

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Most awkward open.

Fred babbled on and on and made everything about him while Rich and Wallach just played along.

When the show was going to break Ric couldn't get out of the room fast enough.

Fred's narcissism has ruined the show

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Most awkward open.

Fred babbled on and on and made everything about him while Rich and Wallach just played along.

When the show was going to break Ric couldn't get out of the room fast enough.

Fred's narcissism has ruined the show
Yep.

Trying to play it off as if this whole situation was dreamed up by the media and people on internet chat rooms (us).

No, we react to what you put out there.
Rich is smart to take the high road and play dumb.

Reactions: Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Yep.

Trying to play it off as if this whole situation was dreamed up by the media and people on internet chat rooms (us).

No, we react to what you put out there.
Rich is smart to take the high road and play dumb.
I turned it off after they came back to do "what happened last night" in favor of a true crime podcast.

Just admit what happened and that your committed to working through it. Shit like this happens in every workplace when you have long term employees. Most times you can work through it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad