Official Sports Media Thread (TV, Radio, Print etc.) - Rebooted and Rebooted Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
Tanguay has to be one of the 3-5 least likable people in Boston media today.

He's tremendously annoying.

A week or 2 ago I heard him say "So isn't....(sumpinanother)" about 4 or 5 times in rapid succession, and no one called him on it.

That said, he's nowhere near as annoying as Squeaky Mazz, or interviews with drunks outside the stadium, or the Final Word, where they have the opportunity to play the best calls of the day, but instead they opt for, you guessed it, the worst calls of the day.

But, by far, the most annoying thing on Boston radio recently.... a freakin rap contest.

:banghead:

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
Why should it be any different than when the B's replaced Dale with Jack? After that happened, you couldn't get Dale to talk hockey on WEEI if you begged him. Holley did all the hockey talk because Dale was no longer being paid by the team to beat the drum for them. Same dynamic, same BS.

Seems to me Dale talks hockey a lot?

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
Sure, now that he's gainfully employed by the team again. But if you go back to right after he refused to travel and the team responding by replacing him, he didn't. At all.

I see.

On a slightly different note, it's interesting that I seem to be the only one here who likes to listen to sports talk, even though I agree with none of the hosts ever! :laugh:

I care nothing about their personal lives, and I hate the games and gimmicks. Stick to the subject, and I'll listen.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I see.

On a slightly different note, it's interesting that I seem to be the only one here who likes to listen to sports talk, even though I agree with none of the hosts ever! :laugh:

I care nothing about their personal lives, and I hate the games and gimmicks. Stick to the subject, and I'll listen.

I love sports radio but what's on Felger and Mazz right now is not sports radio.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I see.

I love sports radio, and in particular the Felger and Mazz show. I know fully that it's all about baiting and trolling, and I find it fascinating that people realize this going in but still get sucked into the act. It's mesmerizing.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Someone help me out. Have the Felger and Mazz ratings dipped at all since deflategate happened?

I was a big fan of the show at one point. Have some "hatred" towards Felger but still tuned in. Now? I just can't listen. I am not even a Pats homer. I tend to go after them. But these two guys are so predictable in what they will say/the slant they will take I can't do it anymore. Even when something pro Patriots breaks, they refuse to take that slant. It's always mitigated or not even mentioned.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
A week or 2 ago I heard him say "So isn't....(sumpinanother)" about 4 or 5 times in rapid succession, and no one called him on it.

That said, he's nowhere near as annoying as Squeaky Mazz, or interviews with drunks outside the stadium, or the Final Word, where they have the opportunity to play the best calls of the day, but instead they opt for, you guessed it, the worst calls of the day.

But, by far, the most annoying thing on Boston radio recently.... a freakin rap contest.

:banghead:

Yup. I think Rich is a talented and likable guy and has a place in this market.... just not a sports station. Toucher though is totally unprepared and I swear makes up what he's going to say while he's saying it and often ends up saying nothing. He knows very little about sports, and his non-sports stuff just isn't funny or clever.

The contrast between the 2 stations with regards to deflategate really has shown the strengths and weakness of both companies.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Felger
Tanguay
Mazz
Borges
Curran

Borges
Gresh
Toucher
and Posthumously Will McDonough, mainly for misrepresenting the Raymond Clayborn incident for years in order to make himself seem like a tough guy

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Yup. I think Rich is a talented and likable guy and has a place in this market.... just not a sports station. Toucher though is totally unprepared and I swear makes up what he's going to say while he's saying it and often ends up saying nothing. He knows very little about sports, and his non-sports stuff just isn't funny or clever.

The contrast between the 2 stations with regards to deflategate really has shown the strengths and weakness of both companies.

Absolutely. I don't know why 98.5 leads in ratings.
Oops, maybe I do.:sarcasm:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Raw numbers for July show WEEI and WBZ-FM almost dead even
VTcEXiB.png

bowsjmr.png

Replicator

Replicated User
Jan 1, 2014
Someone help me out. Have the Felger and Mazz ratings dipped at all since deflategate happened?

I was a big fan of the show at one point. Have some "hatred" towards Felger but still tuned in. Now? I just can't listen. I am not even a Pats homer. I tend to go after them. But these two guys are so predictable in what they will say/the slant they will take I can't do it anymore. Even when something pro Patriots breaks, they refuse to take that slant. It's always mitigated or not even mentioned.

I know that I bailed on them.
You can be a contrarian and still be followed if your position is plausible, (because people like to feel they have special insight that most do not).
You can take an easily proved-false position and still be followed if your position is popular with the audience (because people are slow to accept when they are wrong).
You can be dishonest and still be followed if you tell people what they want to hear.
But you can't take an unpopular, implausible position and expect people to stick around for long.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
WBUR is crushing WGBH. Eat it, Jim Braude and Margery Egan. Tom Ashbrooke 4 lyfe

The raw numbers don't show demographic breakdowns but you can see patterns.

WEEI-FM and WBZ-FM numbers suggest most sports fans are going back and forth between the 2 stations depending on who is doing what. Most of my friends are burnt out from deflategate after 7 1/2 months of this nonsense. The Krafts can't be happy that their radio flagship is calling the team liars.

Looking at the raw numbers CBS has to pull the plug on WODS being Top 40 - it hasn't worked after three years and the station should have stayed with oldies, just look at WROR's raw numbers. CBS has to decide if they should being classic hits back to 103.3 or simulcast WBZ-AM on the FM band like they have done with news stations in San Francisco and Chicago.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Sure, now that he's gainfully employed by the team again. But if you go back to right after he refused to travel and the team responding by replacing him, he didn't. At all.

It made perfect sense for NESN to go with one play by play person in 2007. TV38 was finally out of the picture and Dale had a fulltime gig at WEEI while Edwards who had replaced Dave Shea on road games wanted fulltime income.

Back then Jason Wolfe discouraged hockey talk on WEEI and Ordway confirmed that to me a few years ago. Keep in mind who owned WEEI when they became 24 hour sports in 1991.....The Boston Celtics who also owned FOX25.

The Bruins wound up at WBZ-AM and they became a huge profit area for the station.
David Brudnoy used to complain that his show was ruined because of Bruins premeptions and management replied that the Bruins bring in more revenue than you do.

EDWARDS GETS ALL CALLS ON NESN; Arnold bumped off home games
Boston Globe - Boston, Mass.
Subjects: Appointments & personnel changes; Professional hockey -- Boston Bruins; Sportscasters
Author: Fluto Shinzawa
Date: Jul 7, 2007
Start Page: D.2
Section: Sports

BRUINS NOTEBOOK

NESN announced yesterday that Jack Edwards will become the Bruins' full-time play-by-play announcer in 2007-08, taking over home games from Dale Arnold.

Edwards had called all road games the past two years alongside analyst Andy Brickley, who will continue to provide commentary for every Bruins contest. Edwards has also performed play-by-play and studio duties for Versus's national broadcasts.

"Jack is a very talented broadcaster who has done a terrific job the past two seasons on our road telecasts," Joel Feld, NESN's vice president of programming and executive producer, said in a statement. "We are unifying our Bruins broadcast team. This approach has been very effective in enhancing our Red Sox telecasts and our fans' experience."

Arnold was offered another position during Bruins telecasts, but declined because of commitments to WEEI. Arnold had been the home play-by-play announcer since 1995.

According to a NESN source, the network informed Arnold several weeks ago. After some hesitation from Bruins officials, according to the source, NESN offered to reassign Arnold within the telecasts but he turned down the offer.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Borges
Gresh
Toucher
and Posthumously Will McDonough, mainly for misrepresenting the Raymond Clayborn incident for years in order to make himself seem like a tough guy

How did it really go down? I've only heard the McDonough version.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
Minihane calling other people trolls is hilarious. He is absolutely spot on, but it's hilarious coming from one of the biggest trolls in the Boston media.

rudos1

Oct 22, 2009
Anybody else see the Summer Edition of Bruins Face Off last night? Great show both Jack and Brick noted the holes in the lineup without being too negative about the future and the coming season. Jack for sure was not loving the Rinaldo acquisition...

:handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad