Confirmed with Link: OFFICIAL: #NYR have agreed to terms with forward Oscar Lindberg

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I think there is a unnecessary focus on Glass.

Edit: There is an unnecessary focus on Glass.

He's not the reason we lost to TB.

But he's a horrible hockey player making above the minimum. There's no justifiable reason to continue doing this when you're in the offseason and can make changes to your roster.

Edit: and if you're sitting a promising young player that's cost controlled (Lindberg) in order to play Glass, the focus shifts to Glass.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
He's not the reason we lost to TB.

But he's a horrible hockey player making above the minimum. There's no justifiable reason to continue doing this when you're in the offseason and can make changes to your roster.

Edit: and if you're sitting a promising young player that's cost controlled (Lindberg) in order to play Glass, the focus shifts to Glass.

This keeps going in circles.

Let's say the Rangers don't dress Lindberg, and Glass is still in the lineup.

Did the Rangers just insist on principle that Glass should be in the lineup even if a viable player is available?

Is the supposedly viable player not ready for full time duty?

This is where the "AV is an idiot/loves Glass/hates some player" BS creeps in. I'm not a fan of glass, I just refuse tho believe that a professional franchise that is worth nearly a billion dollars is run in such a manner. This team would ship Lundqvist out of town the second he has a long bad period, but they keep Glass for some odd reason.

I just don't buy that.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
This keeps going in circles.

Let's say the Rangers don't dress Lindberg, and Glass is still in the lineup.

Did the Rangers just insist on principle that Glass should be in the lineup even if a viable player is available?

Is the supposedly viable player not ready for full time duty?

This is where the "AV is an idiot/loves Glass/hates some player" BS creeps in. I'm not a fan of glass, I just refuse tho believe that a professional franchise that is worth nearly a billion dollars is run in such a manner. This team would ship Lundqvist out of town the second he has a long bad period, but they keep Glass for some odd reason.

I just don't buy that.

Good post.

No doubt Glass is probably our worst player but he does bang bodies consistently better than any other forward on the team and he is a decent (not great) option on the PK. The question is could the Rangers find a better 4th line wing option for a smaller cap hit who even if he can't replace the physical play could add other qualities even more useful to the team?---and my answer is probably they could or they should have. Anyway he's not a main reason why we didn't win the Cup last year.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Good post.

No doubt Glass is probably our worst player but he does bang bodies consistently better than any other forward on the team and he is a decent (not great) option on the PK. The question is could the Rangers find a better 4th line wing option for a smaller cap hit who even if he can't replace the physical play could add other qualities even more useful to the team?---and my answer is probably they could or they should have. Anyway he's not a main reason why we didn't win the Cup last year.

It's a shame more people here don't see it the way you do. It's easy to understand the presence he brings and why the brass wants that in the lineup.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010
It's a shame more people here don't see it the way you do. It's easy to understand the presence he brings and why the brass wants that in the lineup.

No, it isn't easy to understand why the brass wants arguably the worst player in the league in the lineup because he "bangs bodies". It's still horrifying that the dude might still be taking away ice time from better contributors this upcoming season. It isn't OK, and people who try to make it out as OK like you are just in denial and trying to rationalize his existence.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
No, it isn't easy to understand why the brass wants arguably the worst player in the league in the lineup because he "bangs bodies". It's still horrifying that the dude might still be taking away ice time from better contributors this upcoming season. It isn't OK, and people who try to make it out as OK like you are just in denial and trying to rationalize his existence.

His role isn't the same as a top 9 player. This is something that is consistently misunderstood. He's a 4th line grinder who can hit hard, often and can fight/protect teammates.

Management wants that in the lineup. I am sorry you have trouble understanding this.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010
His role isn't the same as a top 9 player. This is something that is consistently misunderstood. He's a 4th line grinder who can hit hard, often and can fight/protect teammates.

Management wants that in the lineup. I am sorry you have trouble understanding this.

I don't care if management wants a ****** player in the lineup. I don't care what ridiculous rationale you have for it. It's a poor decision, backed up by anyone with eyes and anyone who can read statistics, from traditional to advanced. Nothing supports Glass being anything but a blackhole on ice. Nothing. And I'm not going to be ok with it "because that's what management wants".

Also, you grossly underestimate the importance of having a skilled fourth line in this day and age. You can't just have a guy who "hits and fights" if he doesn't bring a lick of anything else.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
There are plenty of 4th line options that can grind and be physical, without being the detriment that Glass is.

I'm still scratching my head as to how he made it out of Day 1 of Free Agency with not just a contract, but a 3-year contract at 3 times the league minimum. :cry:

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I don't care if management wants a ****** player in the lineup. I don't care what ridiculous rational you have for it. It's a poor decision, backed up by anyone with eyes and anyone who can read statistics, from traditional to advanced. Nothing supports Glass being anything but a blackhole on ice. Nothing. And I'm not going to be ok with it "because that's what management wants".

Also, you grossly underestimate the importance of having a skilled fourth line in this day and age. You can't just have a guy who "hits and fights" if he doesn't bring a lick of anything else.

In the playoffs you don't need one and he really didn't provide the other, unless a hit 3 seconds after the puck is up ice counts. Also, I completely agree with the importance of a functional 4th line, it's beyond important the deeper you go in the playoffs. You have to layoff minutes to the 4th line, if they're not competent, you're in trouble.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010
There are plenty of 4th line options that can grind and be physical, without being the detriment that Glass is.

I'm still scratching my head as to how he made it out of Day 1 of Free Agency with not just a contract, but a 3-year contract at 3 times the league minimum. :cry:

Nah dude, managementz wants Glass cuz physical and hit, you just don't understand!!

Pisses me right ****ing off. "You don't understand". Get off your ****ing high horse.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
I don't care if management wants a ****** player in the lineup. I don't care what ridiculous rational you have for it. It's a poor decision, backed up by anyone with eyes and anyone who can read statistics, from traditional to advanced. Nothing supports Glass being anything but a blackhole on ice. Nothing. And I'm not going to be ok with it "because that's what management wants".

As lots of the beat reporters like to say "It's Tanner Glass' fault"...

For the record, I am speaking about why management wants him. Not my own personal opinion. The reality is, the management wants his presence in the lineup, and those reasons have been stated above by myself, and others. It doesn't get more simple than that.

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013

No. What YOU and others have a hard time understanding is that he's not even a 4th line grinder. He can't take a regular shift at the NHL level without being a liability. His hits accomplish **** all and fighting is useless. ESPECIALLY in the playoffs. He has no hockey skill that is relevant at the NHL level. We're not talking about a Chris Neil in his prime who was a very useful player who could hit and fight, Glass is like Chris Neil on welfare, with a serious crack addiction.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010
As lots of the beat reporters like to say "It's Tanner Glass' fault"...

For the record, I am speaking about why management wants him. Not my own personal opinion. The reality is, the management wants his presence in the lineup, and those reasons have been stated above by myself, and others. It doesn't get more simple than that.

Then management is making a stupid decision.

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013

Nah bro, stop complaining about the 12th forward!!!! He doesn't even play a lot so WHO CURZZ

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010
Nah bro, stop complaining about the 12th forward!!!! He doesn't even play a lot so WHO CURZZ

It's unbelievable to me that I hear this as a supposedly legitimate argument. It's like the 13-14 run was completely wiped from everyone's minds.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
In the playoffs you don't need one and he really didn't provide the other, unless a hit 3 seconds after the puck is up ice counts. Also, I completely agree with the importance of a functional 4th line, it's beyond important the deeper you go in the playoffs. You have to layoff minutes to the 4th line, if they're not competent, you're in trouble.

Glass has zero awareness and anticipation skills. That's why 99% of his hits mean nothing. His hits don't impact possession because they're so late, and players can brace for him because they see him coming a mile away.

If Glass had the IQ to get himself into a position for his hits to actually matter, he would be a much more valuable player, even if you changed literally nothing else about his game.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
No. What YOU and others have a hard time understanding is that he's not even a 4th line grinder. He can't take a regular shift at the NHL level without being a liability. His hits accomplish **** all and fighting is useless. ESPECIALLY in the playoffs. He has no hockey skill that is relevant at the NHL level. We're not talking about a Chris Neil in his prime who was a very useful player who could hit and fight, Glass is like Chris Neil on welfare, with a serious crack addiction.

You should put your hard work and dedication to good use. Perhaps try applying for a job in the Rangers organization? Obviously they could use your expertise and knowledge on the game being that upper management doesn't have a clue how to assemble a successful hockey team.

http://rangers.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=53770

http://hockeyjobs.nhl.com/teamwork/jobs/jobsall.cfm

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
It's unbelievable to me that I hear this as a supposedly legitimate argument. It's like the 13-14 run was completely wiped from everyone's minds.

No what I find unbelievable is that this fan base on this forum *****ed and moaned for years about how awful our depth was and how bad out 4th line was. Last year we had a really really good 4th line and they scored a goal in every series winner on our way to the SCF last year (all of which were 1 goal games). Then all of a sudden we sign Glass and he is an anchor around our 4th line and it's not his fault because he's just a 4th liner and now it's Nash's fault we have no scoring depth.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Then management is making a stupid decision.

I don't always agree with every decision they make, but I definitely respect and value their knowledge and experience more than a teenager on a hockey forum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad