OT: Official HF Bruins Board Pet Thread

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Gorgeous kitty.
It's crazy to see a Cobble Hill puzzle in the wild on the other side of the continent.
I used to do puzzles years ago and listen to music.

During COVID I was so bored I found a couple of puzzles in the garage. I hadn't done one for 50 years.

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
Thanks Marcus. And thanks to everyone else for the kind words.

We had a pretty similar experience over the past year to what you are going through and took the exact same approach.

One thing I WILL caution you about is giving your pooch an injection of Labrella. Its a relatively newer treatment. Our vet recommended it, as he uses it on his own dog (a 15yr old Lab) and had really great results. Its a series of injections, every 6 weeks which is supposed to help with Osteoarthritis. I would caution you to do your homework on it before you give it to your dog. There have been a lot of side effects associated with it, and my wife and I believe that in Max's instance, it made the situation worse, not better.

We don't blame our vet for recommending it. He's been giving our animals great care for 15+ years. We actually saw improvement after the first shot, but there was definitely an immediate and severe deterioration in his condition after he got his second shot. Not sure if the injection was the cause or not, just do your homework if its something you are considering.

Our vet was concerned about it as well, and after we put Max down yesterday he asked us if we would consider taking him down to the Univ of Illinois (2hr drive south) and let their Veterinary department do an autopsy. He thought that there would be a lot of benefit in helping find out if this drug was the cause or not. He didn't pressure us and totally left it up to us if it was something we wanted to do. My wife and I talked it over and we agreed to do it, so we packed him up and my daughter drove him down last night. Hopefully some good will come from it.

I'll let you guys know what we find out.
We did Labrella for 2 months and saw no improvement and stopped. Our vet said it works on some dogs and not on others. 2 months should have shown some improvement. We've been using Rimadyl for 2-3 years with decent results, along with a hip and joint supplement and UCII collagen.

He's old and doesn't owe us anything, best dog, gentle, non aggressive, ever, no leash, stays in the yard. 7 years of letting him run up stair to sleep in our room(his desire to be with us) didn't help.
Films, 4 years ago showed significant erosion in the tops of his femur/hip socket, but you would never know it till last year.

We're in our mid 60's and this will most likely be the last one, so I'm in no rush as long as he is comfortable.

Once again, my condolences.

Please let me know what they find.

Last edited:
Reactions: RoccoF14

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Apparently, gravy bones are a big hit lol

Screenshot_20240718_205115_Gallery.jpg

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Hattie was laying on the couch when I got home yesterday, instead of her crate. Today she had a good case of the zoomies. I think she's feeling pretty comfortable now.

I still call her Daisy sometimes.

Here's baby Elvis with the sneer and the teeth :laugh:

20240719_205423.jpg

eightspokedb

pickee chickadee
Sponsor
Jul 17, 2002
cave of caerbannog
Visit site
Gonna have to put my best buddy down tomorrow morning. His 14 year old hips just don’t have anymore mileage left. He’s in pain and miserable and it’s the right thing to do. We got him as a rescue when he was 8 and we had 6 great years with him. Best dog I ever had.
Dammit - I can't watch Metal Mayhem and cry at the same time..... Angel Day Blessings sweet boy....you are loved....

• Love
Reactions: RoccoF14

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
This is my dumbshit cat, Jack. Jumpin Jack Flash is his full name. I’m not a cat guy, but my wife and daughter love them. He’s a 2yr old rescue and he loves people. My daughter works at a pet store and brought home a Margarita stuffed toy. This picture is not posed. Enough said…

He’s an odd one. But loveable.

Attachments

• IMG_2255.jpeg
    IMG_2255.jpeg
    245.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Hattie was laying on the couch when I got home yesterday, instead of her crate. Today she had a good case of the zoomies. I think she's feeling pretty comfortable now.

I still call her Daisy sometimes.

Here's baby Elvis with the sneer and the teeth :laugh:

View attachment 896150
Kind of reminds me of one of my daughter's dogs

1721663075018.png

1721663141980.png

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Hattie is definitely more vocal than Daisy was. I mean if she hears someone whispering in the breezeway, she tells the world about it. Every single time. I'm sure my neighbors are thrilled. :help: I usually try to leave the TV playing so the outside sounds aren't as obvious to her but she seems to have really good hearing.

Other than that, she's been great. Low maintenance, no accidents in the house. I just wish she was equipped with a volume control button lol.

20240721_103756.jpg

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Hattie is definitely more vocal than Daisy was. I mean if she hears someone whispering in the breezeway, she tells the world about it. Every single time. I'm sure my neighbors are thrilled. :help: I usually try to leave the TV playing so the outside sounds aren't as obvious to her but she seems to have really good hearing.

Other than that, she's been great. Low maintenance, no accidents in the house. I just wish she was equipped with a volume control button lol.

View attachment 896641
Are you pet sitting or is she a new addition?

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Are you pet sitting or is she a new addition?
Kind of both lol. For now it's a foster situation for about 8 months. The current owner and I have left it open to where she'll either take her back at the end or I might keep her.

Reactions: BMC

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
Sadly we had to put our beautiful boy, Rufus, down Wednesday😔😔😔, at 15+YO. His hips were so bad after years of dealing with them on a slow decline. This past June, he went over the proverbial cliff and could no longer walk w/o collapsing. We spent a month using a belly strap and finally the nightly incidents in the house gave us cause to be loving parents and end his suffering and obvious embarrassment.
We will miss him greatly. So easy to be around in every way. He was a Newfoundland/Doodle mix.
rufus 1.jpg

Love your pet today and tomorrow

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Sadly we had to put our beautiful boy, Rufus, down Wednesday😔😔😔, at 15+YO. His hips were so bad after years of dealing with them on a slow decline. This past June, he went over the proverbial cliff and could no longer walk w/o collapsing. We spent a month using a belly strap and finally the nightly incidents in the house gave us cause to be loving parents and end his suffering and obvious embarrassment.
We will miss him greatly. So easy to be around in every way. He was a Newfoundland/Doodle mix.
View attachment 898959

He was a beauty. I am so very sorry for your loss of a family member. 15 is good for a large pup.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
View attachment 898959

Im so sorry MM.

• Love
Reactions: Mad-Marcus

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
View attachment 898959

Sorry for the loss of your beautiful beloved boy.
15+ is a good long life. :heart:

• Love
Reactions: Mad-Marcus

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
View attachment 898959

Sorry, I know it hurts. I wish our pets lived as long as we do

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
View attachment 898959

Sorry for your loss ... I've been there, I know how much it hurts. Be grateful and thankful for the love Rufus gave your family. Always to be remembered.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
View attachment 898959

Its tough my friend. All the best to you and your family.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
This is Cobalt and Ikea - two of my daughter's cats. Cobalt has a heart condition like his brother, Oli the Bruins Cat, who died at 8 years old. Cobalt needed dental surgery badly for months but no vets would do it because of the risk of death during the operation. Katie has been beside herself because Cobalt had been on antibiotics for so long and was obviously going downhill with the constant infections & abscesses in his mouth.

The great news is they finally found a vet team willing to do the surgery and he is 100% back to his old self in just two days! Ikea is still a kitten and was so depressed while Cobalt was gone. They are reunited and very happy! What a relief!

1722763065545.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 3