Official Calder Thread 2019-2020

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

NHL league officials frantically scrambling to find someone who can change the 'Makar' already carved on the Calder into 'Hughes' just in case it is needed.
They have their number one guy on it!

tattoosick.jpg

Reactions: I am toxic

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I think it may come down how their teams do down the stretch. If VAN wins the division Hughes may get the award for even if Makar lets say leads in points (by a few points obvs).

Kirk Mclean

Jan 30, 2013
Vancouver
I don’t even care who wins tbh, it’s not like the Canucks lose Quinn if he doesn’t get the Calder or something haha.

In my opinion Hughes is a better all around defenseman playing tougher minutes and still producing at a rate basically the same as Makar, and is also younger. I don’t really have much interest in the debate I’m down to just see how the season plays out and whichever one of them wins that’s cool. I know I wouldn’t trade Hughes for Makar though, to me he’s just better and will have a better career.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
I don’t even care who wins tbh, it’s not like the Avs loses Makar if he doesn’t get the Calder or something haha.

In my opinion Makar is a better all around defenseman playing tougher minutes and still producing at a rate basically the same as Hughes while having 10 less games , and is only a year older. I don’t really have much interest in the debate I’m down to just see how the season plays out and whichever one of them wins that’s cool. I know I wouldn’t trade Makar for Hughes though, to me he’s just better and will have a better career.
I completely agree what you're saying but I will edit just a little bit :D

Either way everyone is entitled to his opinion right ? Let's just be happy that we have those two.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
I don’t even care who wins tbh, it’s not like the Canucks lose Quinn if he doesn’t get the Calder or something haha.

In my opinion Hughes is a better all around defenseman playing tougher minutes and still producing at a rate basically the same as Makar, and is also younger. I don’t really have much interest in the debate I’m down to just see how the season plays out and whichever one of them wins that’s cool. I know I wouldn’t trade Hughes for Makar though, to me he’s just better and will have a better career.
Makar defends better, hits, more explosive, better shot, actually wins battles in the corners/in front of the net. What does Hughes do better than Makar?

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
I see both Hughes and Makar as 55-65 point dmen that dominates possession. 70-80 points in their prime and more if scoring goes up via rule changes

that puts them above Dahlin and on the same tier as Heiskanen

Dallas, Vancouver, Colorado are very fortunate. And Buffalo maybe in the future depending on how Dahlin develops

"And Buffalo maybe..."

You've got the right groups, now you just have to admit the other three have a chance to reach Dahlin's level. Maybe.

Drawing a blank but when was the last time two dmen like Makar and Hughes broke into the league the same year?

Maybe the year right before?

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Makar defends better, hits, more explosive, better shot, actually wins battles in the corners/in front of the net. What does Hughes do better than Makar?

Hughes defends better, drops the gloves to defend teammates, more elusive, better hockey iq, wins battles 90% of the time but not often because he doesn't let it get there. What does Makar do better than Hughes?

Not to mention better genetics. Jack and Luke are lucky to be blessed with Quinn's residuals

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
At least for the last few pages of this thread, we don't have shortsighted Avs fans saying Makar is a tier above QH anymore, something every sane canuck posters been saying for 20 pages already.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
Hughes defends better, drops the gloves to defend teammates, more elusive, better hockey iq, wins battles 90% of the time but not often because he doesn't let it get there. What does Makar do better than Hughes?

Not to mention better genetics. Jack and Luke are lucky to be blessed with Quinn's residuals
Lol, that was funny. :thumbu:

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Yes I'll freely admit to being a huge, huge, huge Quinn Hughes fan. What he's done for our team this year is amazing and he's an absolute delight to watch. I'm beyond stoked that I get to see him for the foreseeable future.

2 more goals today (I actually think he got screwed out of an assist today too and hold out hope he will get credited with that). With those goals he took the rookie scoring lead..........by one point...........albeit in 10 less games than Makar.

I feel that he was definitely behind by a decent portion in this race but I can only assume that his showing at the all star game (if you didn't watch it he acquitted himself very well - really was a weapon as he's built for 3 on 3) coupled with upping his goal count by 3 the last 2 games is enough to reasonably ask this question again. Hopefully any Avalanche fans out there got to see him at the All Star game to get a better idea as to what type of player he is and how good he can be. His shot isn't as far behind Makar's as I previously conceded. He's sniped a few nice goals lately.

I haven't watched Makar as much lately so can't give an accurate depiction of where he is but I think that barring injuries it's going to be a close race to the finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad