OT: Official Bears/NFL Thread XXXIX: Day of the Superb Owl

Status
Not open for further replies.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
why should we stick with cutler? The grind to be a 9-7 team, miss PO's and get a **** draft pick? Besides that, I'd hazard to guess there's plenty of people that just don't want to deal with the cutler circus that the bears have become.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
The Bears should hold onto Cutler as #1 until a viable alternative becomes available

2015 FA + Draft = No alternative

Its pointless for Bears to dump Cutler for no reason.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
lol "until a viable alternative", in your mind, that will be never and they'll sign a 37 yr old cutler to another contract. There's no sure thing, the best you can do is find a guy you think can translate to the NFL and develop him properly. Piddling around in mediocrity with cutler accomplishes exactly nothing.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
lol "until a viable alternative", in your mind, that will be never and they'll sign a 37 yr old cutler to another contract. There's no sure thing, the best you can do is find a guy you think can translate to the NFL and develop him properly. Piddling around in mediocrity with cutler accomplishes exactly nothing.

And this draft does not have that guy for Bears and even if Bears draft a QB (Hundley for example) he is not type that will be starting year 1 in NFL

Thus keeping Cutler again is most viable option

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
Sure just like Tyler Wilson and Jimmy Clauson were 1st round talents the year before they were drafted the year after projection outside of 1st round

so what's your plan then, cling to cutler and pray to get lucky? AKA, kick the can down the road. Just pull the bandaid off already, cutler isn't good, keeping him does absolutely nothing long-term.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
so what's your plan then, cling to cutler and pray to get lucky? AKA, kick the can down the road. Just pull the bandaid off already, cutler isn't good, keeping him does absolutely nothing long-term.

2 plans

1) Go with Cutler as #1 and if Hundley is available in 2nd round this year Bears should draft him and he sits a year. If Cutler plays well you look to trade him or keep him another year if Hundley isn't ready for 2016

2) Go with Cutler as #1 and draft QB in 2016 and keep Cutler thru 2016 go with kid as #1 in 2017

Under no scenario should Bears go into 2015 with no QB

Out of those 2 plans I lean heavily towards #2

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
both of those plans are complete **** and are sacrificing long term flexibility for short term mediocrity. And like i said, your plan is to cling to cutler and pray to get lucky. Also, the myth of qb developing on bench is just that, a myth. It doesn't happen in the NFL.

Gootie

GOATie
Jul 28, 2010
Chicago
Brett Hundley LOL

No pocket presence, terrible accuracy, locks on receivers, but he's big and athletic. Sounds like someone familiar.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
both of those plans are complete **** and are sacrificing long term flexibility for short term mediocrity. And like i said, your plan is to cling to cutler and pray to get lucky.

Well your plan is to dump Cutler for no reason and hope team tanks its way into a quality QB prospect which is more a risk to longterm then my options

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Brett Hundley LOL

No pocket presence, terrible accuracy, locks on receivers, but he's big and athletic. Sounds like someone familiar.

Actually Hundley has good accuracy on most throws , decent pocket presence and does not lock onto WR's. He is a development QB with high upside

Thus why drafting him and sitting him a year make a lot of sense if he was drafted

Of course none of the Anti-Cutler crowd offer up any reasonable plan for Bears and only argument from that side seems to be "I Hate Cutler ,, Go away Cutler"

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
Well your plan is to dump Cutler for no reason and hope team tanks its way into a quality QB prospect which is more a risk to longterm then my options

No, because I don't think you're really anymore likely to find a reasonable NFL qb in the first 10 picks than you are in the following 20. Getting a guy with the physical and mental ability to play in the NFL and properly developing/coaching him is what needs to be done. Cutler would have never been a good NFL qb regardless of the situation he was drafted in to because he doesn't have it mentally. Where as a guy like Russell Wilson, who has his own flaws, is in his 2nd super bowl in 3 seasons(and not as a passenger either) because he is mentally capable of winning and was developed/coached in such a way where his strengths are showcased and his weaknesses masked. Basically, if you believe in the coaching staff, then you should want cutler gone as soon as possible because he's a waste of time and only delaying the inevitable search for a qb. The sooner it starts, the sooner it will be over.

And again, the myth of developing a qb on the bench is just that, a complete myth.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
I liked Hundley... Two years ago.

He's tanked since then. I'm shocked he's still a top QB pick.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
No, because I don't think you're really anymore likely to find a reasonable NFL qb in the first 10 picks than you are in the following 20. Getting a guy with the physical and mental ability to play in the NFL and properly developing/coaching him is what needs to be done. Cutler would have never been a good NFL qb regardless of the situation he was drafted in to because he doesn't have it mentally. Where as a guy like Russell Wilson, who has his own flaws, is in his 2nd super bowl in 3 seasons(and not as a passenger either) because he is mentally capable of winning and was developed/coached in such a way where his strengths are showcased and his weaknesses masked. Basically, if you believe in the coaching staff, then you should want cutler gone as soon as possible because he's a waste of time and only delaying the inevitable search for a qb. The sooner it starts, the sooner it will be over.

And again, the myth of developing a qb on the bench is just that, a complete myth.

Wilson has had the best defense in NFL the last 3 years and was very much a passenger especially this season

That D + Lynch carry the Seahawks

Gootie

GOATie
Jul 28, 2010
Chicago
Actually Hundley has good accuracy on most throws , decent pocket presence and does not lock onto WR's. He is a development QB with high upside

Thus why drafting him and sitting him a year make a lot of sense if he was drafted

Of course none of the Anti-Cutler crowd offer up any reasonable plan for Bears and only argument from that side seems to be "I Hate Cutler ,, Go away Cutler"
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...cout-foresees-ucla-qb-brett-hundley-as-a-bust

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ett-hundley-lacks-instincts-to-be-good-nfl-qb

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-brett-hundleys-accuracy-vision-remain-issues
"He's going to be a bust," the scout said. "He's one of those guys who seems to lock in right away. His shortcoming is accuracy."

Along with locking in on a receiver, Hundley's play from the pocket has also come under scrutiny for holding the ball too long and taking too many sacks.
"He has very good size and athletic ability, but he struggles reading things and throwing with accuracy," an AFC scouting director told NFL Media's Albert Breer.
During the game, former Chicago Bears director of college scouting Greg Gabriel tweeted "Hundley does not have the instincts to be a good NFL QB,

Hundley is a homeless man's Cutler, of course you like him. Maybe another 10 years and Cutler will realize some of his "high-upside."

Enjoy the next few years of missing the playoffs and watching Cutler piss away two games a year against Green Bay.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...cout-foresees-ucla-qb-brett-hundley-as-a-bust

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ett-hundley-lacks-instincts-to-be-good-nfl-qb

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-brett-hundleys-accuracy-vision-remain-issues

Hundley is a homeless man's Cutler, of course you like him. Maybe another 10 years and Cutler will realize some of his "high-upside."

Enjoy the next few years of missing the playoffs and watching Cutler piss away two games a year against Green Bay.

The fact you quote Greg Gabriel who's time with Bears as head of college scouting was littered with failures including Rex Grossman at QB says enough

Lets get real opinions not those of failed Ex-NFL front office people and no name sources

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Wilson had 8 games with a Passer rating higher than 100 with 3 within 2 points of 100. He also had 5 game winning drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad