Official 2025 NHL Draft Thread

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
We know that size argument is a mountain of horseshit when the Flyers two most important 23 and under defensive pieces, which they spent the highest value assets on, are both 5'11. And they acquired and tried to re-sign 5'11 Sean Walker. And the next best defensive prospect in the system, who Flahr called the 3rd best D prospect in his class (after Sanderson and Drysdale), is 5'9. Not even the Flyers believe a 6' defender is too small. They just committed cardinal sins like drafting fit over BPA, counting their chickens before they hatch, overvaluing their own talent, and not understanding that you solve fit from the top down.

Someone like Molendyk has a Forsling-like profile. But 6' LHD < 6'2 RHD. Can you imagine the lineup problems they'd have with Molendyk and Buium? Bullet dodged.
I don't buy the size argument with Buium, I think Briere was deflecting. Maybe there's some issue that caused him to drop that hasn't become public knowledge? Given his role is offensive facilitator, size shouldn't matter. Nor do I buy "we already have these kind of guys" b/c if Buium was that good, you can move one of the guys who isn't as good. There's something that caused 11 teams to pass on him.

Teams tend to have 2-3 D-men who are offensive producers, and a few defense first guys they like to pair with them (there's only one puck, and if you want one D-man to be aggressive, you want his partner to CYA).

Size matters more with the defense first guys, b/c one aspect of defense is handling big guys in front of the net and in the corners (to stop the cycle). A few can do it without size (Spurgeon) but they're pretty rare. But you can always shelter a small offensive D-man and let him produce in the O-zone.

Reactions: IronMarshal

Wangstar

Apr 2, 2023
A team like Canada, HlinkaGretzky 24, they had some smaller guys, compared to last years team. Schmidt,5-8, Resny,5-9 and Benak Czech, 5-7, speed and skill. Gonna be interested to see how the 25 draft shakes out. Desnoyer,6-1, he’s a hard worker, you notice the guy, solid fundamentals, his production in the tournament was not great, i do like him, a lot.
I think we could make out very well, this draft class

Reactions: IronMarshal

volnoir

Nov 13, 2015
Not to continue to harp on this, but it baffles me they passed on the projected 1D in a D heavy draft for a C, when next year is fixing to be a very strong C heavy draft. Maybe they are trying to zig while others zag but seems a bit like a backwards approach.

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
Not to continue to harp on this, but it baffles me they passed on the projected 1D in a D heavy draft for a C, when next year is fixing to be a very strong C heavy draft. Maybe they are trying to zig while others zag but seems a bit like a backwards approach.
Maybe the Flyers scouts and staff didn’t see Buium as a number 1 like a lot of us did. Maybe they are right and we are wrong. Maybe we are right and they are wrong. Either is possible and only time will tell.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If Buium dropped out of the top ten, it's rational to assume most teams didn't see him as a #1 D-man.

Odds are he was seen as a 2nd pair, PP1 QB guy, still valuable, but not enough to trade into the top ten to grab him. Since no one did.

Wheeler is the best media guy out there, but even then, look at his August 2023 list, a lot will change by next summer. One-third of the 1st rd picks won't be on his list, and half the top ten guys will drop.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
If Buium dropped out of the top ten, it's rational to assume most teams didn't see him as a #1 D-man.

Odds are he was seen as a 2nd pair, PP1 QB guy, still valuable, but not enough to trade into the top ten to grab him. Since no one did.

Or a handful of teams didn't want to move out. Or the teams that thought he was didn't have the ammo to move up. Or they thought it was better to make more picks. The absence of evidence still is not evidence of absence.

Once again, the only other comparable draft day Defenseman drop in modern times is Noah Dobson. That one was a home run.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Dahlin #1, Hughes #7, Boqvist #8, Bouchard #10, Dobson #12.
Next tier started at #17 with Ty Smith.

Boqvist might have been overdrafted, I'll make the argument that Bouchard/Dobson is a draw.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Dahlin #1, Hughes #7, Boqvist #8, Bouchard #10, Dobson #12.
Next tier started at #17 with Ty Smith.

Boqvist might have been overdrafted, I'll make the argument that Bouchard/Dobson is a draw.

Draft day drops have nothing to do with our opinions on players or tiers. It has nothing to do with draft year falls. 2 Defensemen in the top 10 of McKenzie’s Final Rankings in last 12 drafts have gone 5 or more spots later — Dobson and Buium. Bouchard was 7th and went 10th. That’s within the usual range.

While we’re at it, Boqvist was 10th and went 8th. He was not a huge draft night riser.

Reactions: pit

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

Ad

Ad

Ad