Official 2024 NHL Draft Thread

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
With 8 picks in 1st and 2nd rounds in 2024 and 2025 really hope at least half oh this capital will be traded for young guys who already play in the NHL.
Really tired of this “WOW 4 1st in 2 years” and then another 4 years to read “Look, this guys scored 1488 points in Beer League, finally we took our next one”.

Bring real players here.

Personally I wouldn't consider making a trade like this until summer of 2026 assuming Michkov is not coming over until the 2026-2027 season.

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020
I’m no scout but there are like 12-14 players I’d really like for the first half of the draft. I think it is totally possible the Flyers collapse down the stretch looking at their lineup, injuries, and schedule. A team or two always reaches. If the Flyers are out of the playoffs, I like their chances of getting a really good player

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
I’d trade those first rounders this year in a heart beat.

They have committed themselves to TK, and Coots.

More secondary, slow to develop guys they are going to find picking in the middle-ish part of the first round isn’t doing dick to move this thing forward anyway.

Can Carolina extend Necas? Kent Johnson was a name, I’m not sure how he’s developing.

This molasses level half ass Hextall rebuild isn’t going to do squat. Just commit to winning in whatever naive window they think they have, and let’s be done with it.

A few more years of meh first rounders isn’t doing anything other than adding mileage on the current prime guys for nothing.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I’m no scout but there are like 12-14 players I’d really like for the first half of the draft. I think it is totally possible the Flyers collapse down the stretch looking at their lineup, injuries, and schedule. A team or two always reaches. If the Flyers are out of the playoffs, I like their chances of getting a really good player

Helenius, Eiserman, Greentree, Iginla, Artamonov
Buium, Parakh, Yakemchuk

all have a "chance" to be there are 12-14 I think. (Artamonov a very high chance)

All 8 have a "chance" to be difference making forwards or top pairing Dmen.

(Celebrini, Demidov, Catton, Lindstrom, Levshunov, Dickinson, Silayav is 7 guys who my guess is all go by ~10 whatever... so at least 4 of the first group will be available at #12)

Matti Mich

Jul 19, 2023
What is a realist Landing spot for Catton in the draft?
And can the flyers put together a ... fair package to move and grab him.
He seems like a can't miss.

Reactions: IronMarshal

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Since apparently this draft sucks... can play the long game and just trade all the picks for 2027 picks... might be even stronger than 2025 on paper... :sarcasm: Can leverage all their picks to ensure they get hometown kid Rocco Pelosi.:laugh:

Looks like could end up with ~10 guys who are potential top 4-5 level picks and all are C and D!

C: Jaxon Jacobson, Eli McKamey, Alexis Joseph, Milan Sundstrom, Rocco Pelosi
D: Lukas Kachlir, Landon Dupont, Olle Törnqvist, Noel Stenlund, Max Syrjäläinen

Matti Mich

Jul 19, 2023
Since apparently this draft sucks... can play the long game and just trade all the picks for 2027 picks... might be even stronger than 2025 on paper... :sarcasm: Can leverage all their picks to ensure they get hometown kid Rocco Pelosi.:laugh:

Looks like could end up with ~10 guys who are potential top 4-5 level picks and all are C and D!

C: Jaxon Jacobson, Eli McKamey, Alexis Joseph, Milan Sundstrom, Rocco Pelosi
D: Lukas Kachlir, Landon Dupont, Olle Törnqvist, Noel Stenlund, Max Syrjäläinen
you seem hurt by the weak draft comments

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Hage at 2nd in scoring in the USHL now 👀

I do feel like his likely upside is more "great 2C"... but really aside from becoming a bit of a better skater he does not have many holes either. Maybe there is a ~75-82 point C there who can also play D.

He has just got better and better all year... and it makes sense in context. He missed almost a year of hockey due to injury and then his Dad died in summer...

at 15 years old he was putting up Hughes, Konecny, Perfetti, McCann, Skinner u-16 AAA numbers in the GTHL before the injury... not many players who get ~1.9-2.1 P/GP at that level in that region at that age don't become ~60+ point NHLers.

he is over P/GP now outside PP too. 47 in 46.

And almost 40% of direct involvement in team scoring.

Add those things together (P/GP, non PP P/GP and involvement in scoring) and the odds of him being a top 6 forward are pretty damn high.

If Artamonov, Hage, Misa, Basha and Kiviharju are all going to be there in the 20s-30s? I would really think about trading down if Flyers are at say ~16-18 and getting another dart.

Though at same time... also might be tempting to go up depending on who falls to ~12.

Though heck, as things stand Flyers may still pick ~10-12th aha, with way things are going.

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
I do feel like his likely upside is more "great 2C"... but really aside from becoming a bit of a better skater he does not have many holes either. Maybe there is a ~75-82 point C there who can also play D.

He has just got better and better all year... and it makes sense in context. He missed almost a year of hockey due to injury and then his Dad died in summer...

at 15 years old he was putting up Hughes, Konecny, Perfetti, McCann, Skinner u-16 AAA numbers in the GTHL before the injury... not many players who get ~1.9-2.1 P/GP at that level in that region at that age don't become ~60+ point NHLers.

he is over P/GP now outside PP too. 47 in 46.

And almost 40% of direct involvement in team scoring.

Add those things together (P/GP, non PP P/GP and involvement in scoring) and the odds of him being a top 6 forward are pretty damn high.
Yea I think his upside is around the same as what you think. Kinda surprised that he's still so low on most lists. He always felt like a borderline top 15 if not a sure top 15 guy this year to me. On top of all that, he might end up being one of the main guys on Michigan next year if the big names leave. Wouldn't be surprised if he put up big numbers there too.

If Artamonov, Hage, Misa, Basha and Kiviharju are all going to be there in the 20s-30s? I would really think about trading down if Flyers are at say ~16-18 and getting another dart.

Though at same time... also might be tempting to go up depending on who falls to ~12.

Though heck, as things stand Flyers may still pick ~10-12th aha, with way things are going.
I'd be too nervous to trade down with our pick. I think Hage's upside is higher than the rest of those guys and I wouldn't wanna get sniped. I'd rather trade down with the Panthers pick ( unless Freij is still on the board :)). If we were trading up I'd only do it for Demidov, Catton, or Buium though.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY

Also fun.

Albeit height is not the only thing at play (though a factor in multiple of those guys going where they did)...

People grow, even a little bit, after turning 18? Say it ain't so...

Honestly, I find it's becoming more apparent that skill and IQ is starting to take over size and physicality when drafting, when it should be this way. If you get a big guy that can do what the smaller guys do, then that's why they go high in the draft.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

Fetus.

1710947873926.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad