OT: Off-Topic Thread Episode VII: No Loungin', Bae

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Baffles me in a thriving province like Alberta people still go the University route.

Some people want to do other things with their lives. :dunno:

If your passion is science or economics or whatever, you're just not likely to be happy spending your days fitting PVC tubing or what have you. I was miserable during my one summer of physical labour (though I probably learned more things that summer than any semester at university).

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
>works in trades
>only 1 exam a year for 4 years
>very easy
>make 60-100k a year

Baffles me in a thriving province like Alberta people still go the University route.

I understand we have a need for everyone. Hell I got hired on a new site with an Engineer starting as a green hire because he couldn't find any work.
Some people want to do other things with their lives. :dunno:

If your passion is science or economics or whatever, you're just not likely to be happy spending your days fitting PVC tubing or what have you. I was miserable during my one summer of physical labour (though I probably learned more things that summer than any semester at university).
QFT. Anglesmith has the perfect response here. I worked in construction since I was 14, and still do the odd job here and there for a bit of extra cash, but by the time I was 20 I hated that I opted to go straight to work out of high school. I was my own boss, made good money, but **** if I wasn't happy. I'll gladly take a pay cut and do a job I enjoy, and not something that makes me miserable and makes me more money than I know what to do with.

May 27, 2012
Earth
QFT. Anglesmith has the perfect response here. I worked in construction since I was 14, and still do the odd job here and there for a bit of extra cash, but I started to hate it. I was my own boss, made good money, but **** if I wasn't happy. I'll gladly take a pay cut and do a job I enjoy, and not something that makes me miserable and makes me more money than I know what to do with.

You were your own boss at 14? Impressive.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
QFT. Anglesmith has the perfect response here. I worked in construction since I was 14, and still do the odd job here and there for a bit of extra cash, but by the time I was 20 I hated that I opted to go straight to work out of high school. I was my own boss, made good money, but **** if I wasn't happy. I'll gladly take a pay cut and do a job I enjoy, and not something that makes me miserable and makes me more money than I know what to do with.

I think this is what's missing in a lot of people these days. I'm not saying that if you want money that means you're a bad person; I'm just of the opinion that life is short, and I don't want to spend it doing something I don't enjoy. Money is nice to have but it's not everything.

EDIT: **** I can't even take this post seriously with this damn avatar. :laugh:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Not at 14, I should have maybe clarified. But by the time I was 19, I was contracting myself out here and there. I had one that I was steady with, but still did the occasional job by myself (I was in drywall).

Sounds like a sticky situation, but clearly you managed to get out ok.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think this is what's missing in a lot of people these days. I'm not saying that if you want money that means you're a bad person; I'm just of the opinion that life is short, and I don't want to spend it doing something I don't enjoy. Money is nice to have but it's not everything.

EDIT: **** I can't even take this post seriously with this damn avatar. :laugh:

At the same time, though, a lot of people see their job as a means to an end. Do what you want in your free time, and work hard at something you don't enjoy so that you can make that free time as awesome as possible.

Still, though, if you have the aptitude (and funds) for it, and your passion is something that can lead you to a career, there's really no reason not to go to higher education in my opinion. That way you get the best of both worlds, because careers that come from university degrees are often lucrative as well.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I recently turned down an opportunity to become an owner in my business and open up my own branch in Kelowna. I would of made more money and lived in a beautiful city, with a nicer climate and is by water and vineyards. After more deliberating than I've ever done in my life, I turned it down. I want to see my daughter grow up and I prefer a simple life. I made the right choice and I'm happy about it.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Exactly what was criminal about their inadequacy?
Yes, they backed into a vehicle - that's not a criminal matter, it's a matter of insurance.
The person in question was charged for unsafe backing of her vehicle which is clear but it's not like it was malicious.

Her insurance premiums will go up like crazy though.

I'm not defending poor driving, I am just saying there's nothing wrong with what the police charged her for.
She hit a car and did not report it. That's illegal. She was charged with unsafe backing and the fine was $115. Clearly what she did was unsafe - what if that was a kid or something? You could also make the case that she left the scene of an accident. That is a more serious offense, and comes with a much higher penalty.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Not sure if my grades on these practice quizzes are going down because I'm burned out or because I got lucky the first time

japbcvpavbzau9dbuaxf.jpg

May 27, 2012
Earth
Not sure if my grades on these practice quizzes are going down because I'm burned out or because I got lucky the first time

japbcvpavbzau9dbuaxf.jpg

Seems legit.

I am now confident in going into the exam tomorrow. I was stressing out earlier, and normally don't stress out over school, but when you have a 52% it puts you on edge. Anyways, I have been studying for a few hours now and it has helped me a lot. Will study a bit more tomorrow morning and go to the 2 hour grind.

It takes me along time to get into studying but when I get into it I don't get distracted as easily, but studying rarely happens(this will be my downfall). On the other hand, I winged my exam on Tuesday. Went into the exam with a 73%, kind of dumb lol, but I only need a 41% to finish with a 60%.

Yung Rotini

6 Summers
May 18, 2013
Penticton, BC
I recently turned down an opportunity to become an owner in my business and open up my own branch in Kelowna. I would of made more money and lived in a beautiful city, with a nicer climate and is by water and vineyards. After more deliberating than I've ever done in my life, I turned it down. I want to see my daughter grow up and I prefer a simple life. I made the right choice and I'm happy about it.
We could of been best friends! :sarcasm:

Aug 3, 2010
She hit a car and did not report it. That's illegal. She was charged with unsafe backing and the fine was $115. Clearly what she did was unsafe - what if that was a kid or something? You could also make the case that she left the scene of an accident. That is a more serious offense, and comes with a much higher penalty.

Yes, except if you had read some of the news articles she states that she was unaware of that (hitting a car) and I am not surprised that someone with her limited scope of ability wouldn't be able to tell tire vs curb as opposed to bumper vs object. Furthermore, the last scenario you present is predicated on knowledge of the first.

Either way, it's been dealt with. It's clear that she was not driving maliciously - just poorly. You can lodge a complaint to CPS if you like.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yes, except if you had read some of the news articles she states that she was unaware of that (hitting a car) and I am not surprised that someone with her limited scope of ability wouldn't be able to tell tire vs curb as opposed to bumper vs object. Furthermore, the last scenario you present is predicated on knowledge of the first.

Either way, it's been dealt with. It's clear that she was not driving maliciously - just poorly. You can lodge a complaint to CPS if you like.

Apparently she stopped very soon after leaving the parking lot to check damage on her own vehicle. It seems she was aware that she hit something, and waited until she was gone in order to check it (despite knowing there was a car there).

Aug 3, 2010
Congrats on your paper being accepted Anglesmith.

Regarding the earlier posts about working in trades vs white collar office work:

I'm certified for both, with a B.Bus from Queen's University and ACP certified EMT with SAIT/PMA.

The bachelor's in business I achieved right out of high school as I have an interest in marketing and entrepreneurship (though I never went on to complete my Master's.) I had worked before then during Jr. High/High school designing documentation and working on marketing strategies with small business owners on a commission basis and it was OK work. I held a job in the advertising sector as a junior consultant until right around when the economic downturn occurred. Jobs were dropping left and right and while I still held my position, many of my fellow colleagues (and bosses) started to lose theirs. Also, slowly but surely, I didn't love sitting behind a desk most of the day - routines bore me although advertising work can be more dynamic than say, accounting.

I decided to start taking night courses at SAIT and PMA to become qualified as an Emergency Medical Technician. The work presented itself as a challenge both mental and physical and is always engaging. Job security is almost assured as even if I don't work in the public sector, I can seek jobs in the private sector as a bodyguard, security, crisis management consultant, etc. And it is a trades job, so it is unionized and pays decently well.

The main difference I find is I have enjoyed both jobs and while trades pay better in the short term, office jobs can potentially pay much better in the long term. There aren't too many opportunities to move up in the public sector unless you want to become a police officer or a firefighter and even then, it's not that much of an upgrade.
Furthermore, trades takes a toll on your body - too many repeated injuries and you're out of a career as early as 25 years old.

Office jobs are more about the mental stress and inter-office politics and relationship-building, and a "if you don't schmooze you lose/right time right place" mentality to ensure you have a great career vs a good career but at least it's usually a long career if the economy is stable. Although, there's a statistic wandering around that I've read where most? university graduates don't work in a career path directly related to their university degree 10 years after graduating which is surprising but believable.

Mostly, it is about what keeps you motivated. Most people work for 30-40 years before considering retirement and you might as well be happy with what you have done. The compensation you receive for your work is one motivator but generally speaking you should want more than just the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad