OT: 'Off topic' thoughts

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
HP is very good stuff. I have tried to keep of variety of Islay, Speyside, Highlands, around to meet the mood. So many to try.
Got some water from various areas in Scotland to use. Not sure I could tell difference, but makes for a fun time. Been working on a wonderful bottle of Longmorn.
For an everyday glass, try Bowmore.
Cheersh.
Water from Scotland, that sounds like fun! I just looked up Longmorn, never heard of it before (not available at lcbo of course) but it sounds interesting. Bowmore is good stuff though these days for an everyday glass, I usually reach for some bourbon.
Cheers!

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Water from Scotland, that sounds like fun! I just looked up Longmorn, never heard of it before (not available at lcbo of course) but it sounds interesting. Bowmore is good stuff though these days for an everyday glass, I usually reach for some bourbon.
Cheers!
If you are near Toronto you can get water at BYBO on Queen west near the Drake.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Cheers!

If you are near Toronto you can get water at BYBO on Queen west near the Drake.
If you enjoy a sherry casked whisky, I'd suggest GlenDronach 12 yr old single malt.
grnob.12yov4.jpg

the squared circle

Aug 3, 2005
Maple Leaf Gardens
Those sticker books bring back incredible memories.
Every Sunday, after my hockey game at Downsview Arena, I would go to the snack bar and buy a chocolate bar (Turtles), and a pack or two of stickers. Then my dad would drive across the street to the Shoppers Drug Mart in North York Sheridan Mall, where I would buy the Toronto Star, so I could go home and pour over all the statistics from the Saturday night hockey games.
Another great memory of the sticker books --- one day I came home from school, and my dad told me to go to my bedroom to see a surprise. When I went in, spread out on my dresser were about 20 packs of stickers.
Oh to be an innocent child again....

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I have such vivid memories of doing this. I should try explaining to my 10 year old that back then we had to wait to get things by email.
This also reminds me of getting a Beckett, which had all the team's arena addresses listed in the back. I'd send cards out to my favourite players to get autographed across Canada -- Pavel and Trevor Linden (VAN), Teemu Selanne (WPG), Theo Fleury (CGY). And of course down to MLG for Gilmour, Potvin and Clark. I even sent out to LA for Gretzky, which I was told would take 6 months to return. All of them would return the cards autographed, in sleeves and all (except Dougie...just an autographed poster card of him).

The excitement from me coming home from school in the winter and seeing the team logo sticking out of the mailbox is something so small that provided so much.

With technology the way it is today, that method is pretty much obsolete. Too bad because I know my son would have had a field day doing that and be checking the communal mailbox daily for mail with his name on it knowing the treasure that he was about to reveal from enclosed.

Reactions: Niagara Bill

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
I have such vivid memories of doing this. I should try explaining to my 10 year old that back then we had to wait to get things by email.
My son was collecting the hockey stickers when he was younger and they still had the mail in process, which was shocking to me. Other than that, I’m sure neither of them have mailed anything in their lives. The damn stickers are so expensive now as well

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
My son was collecting the hockey stickers when he was younger and they still had the mail in process, which was shocking to me. Other than that, I’m sure neither of them have mailed anything in their lives. The damn stickers are so expensive now as well
Personally, I think there is also something to be said for the lack of options. In the late 70's/early 80's, we basically had O-Pee-Chee hockey cards and the stickers, so that's what you got (although I also remember buying Star Wars cards). Today, the choices seem endless.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I'm thinking with any luck the golf courses will be open early this year too.

There’s a golf course out in London that has opened every reasonable day this winter. My buddy has been rubbing it in sending me vids of him on the course in the middle of February.

Karma got him though, broke his new volley hitting off that frozen grass

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Springs at least a month early here in Muskoka this year. It's wild how little snow and cold we got. A few years ago there was ice on the lakes into May here, now I'm looking at ice out maybe as early as today/tomorrow. Boat will be in by Easter for sure, and fishing comes soon after that :)
Amazing what a couple of hundred chem trails will do………

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
This also reminds me of getting a Beckett, which had all the team's arena addresses listed in the back. I'd send cards out to my favourite players to get autographed across Canada -- Pavel and Trevor Linden (VAN), Teemu Selanne (WPG), Theo Fleury (CGY). And of course down to MLG for Gilmour, Potvin and Clark. I even sent out to LA for Gretzky, which I was told would take 6 months to return. All of them would return the cards autographed, in sleeves and all (except Dougie...just an autographed poster card of him).

The excitement from me coming home from school in the winter and seeing the team logo sticking out of the mailbox is something so small that provided so much.

With technology the way it is today, that method is pretty much obsolete. Too bad because I know my son would have had a field day doing that and be checking the communal mailbox daily for mail with his name on it knowing the treasure that he was about to reveal from enclosed.
Ýes, the art of patience, today's youth rarely get to experience the time of anticipation.
Instant gratification rarely lasts long, but the memories of waiting last forever.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
That bridge has always been a popular speed trap. Thanks for heads up on lowering limit. It’s such a big bridge and with wide lanes that even holding 50 feels too slow, but so be it.
While we’re at it, if you’re taking Mt Pleasant south downtown they are loving the bottom of the valley by Roxborough with people bombing down the hill right now. Same thing, road relatively recently down to 40.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Ýes, the art of patience, today's youth rarely get to experience the time of anticipation.
Instant gratification rarely lasts long, but the memories of waiting last forever.
It doesn't last long, but the next click/like is only seconds away. But then again, that's not really gratification is it? I shudder to think what this age of social media is doing to the minds of kids growing up today.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
That bridge has always been a popular speed trap. Thanks for heads up on lowering limit. It’s such a big bridge and with wide lanes that even holding 50 feels too slow, but so be it.
Construction starts on it next month to reduce from 6 lanes to 5 and make bike lanes plus extend the sidewalks.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Caught The Eagles at SBA last night, great show.
Constantly amazed when at shows or games at how many people play with their phones during the event.
I get it's the world we live in now but not sure I'll ever understand it.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Caught The Eagles at SBA last night, great show.
Constantly amazed when at shows or games at how many people play with their phones during the event.
I get it's the world we live in now but not sure I'll ever understand it.
I hear ya.. "I can't tell you why",
It's "wasted time".
People these days can't "take it easy" or get the "peaceful easy feeling".

the squared circle

Aug 3, 2005
Maple Leaf Gardens
Speaking of the Eagles and tying it into the Leafs.....I grudgingly went to see them (I wanna say 1996?), and I say grudgingly, because they were the first band to make ticket prices SKYROCKET and being a big concertgoer at the time, I was really pissed at them, and let everyone who would listen, know that the Eagles were wrong to do this to the fans. To give you an idea, the seats I had were lawns, and every other show at the time, lawns were $10-$25, and lawns for the Eagles were $75.
My gf, now wife, surprised me with tickets, with the caveat that I had to take her, and now after I had been bashing them, I went to the show haha.
Anyway, it ended up being the best non-Rush concert I ever went to. Three hours of all their hits, PLUS all the solo hits from Henley, Walsh, and Frey. It was just fantastic and being an Eagles/solo fan since I could remember, it was just so so so so good. And remember this is pre-internet so I didn't go in knowing the setlist so every song was a surprise, especially the solo stuff.

Leaf "tie" in - during the show, Frey, acknowledged to the crowd that his friend Tie Domi was in attendance in the front row.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad