OT: Off-Topic, again.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I take my tricycle to the gas station across the street to inflate my tires. I have $.75 in my pocket. I assume that would have been enough there to put my tires for three minutes. Three minutes $1.75.
Last summer, I was volunteering through work, to put in subflooring for Habitat for Humanity. I picked up a nail in my tire. I drove to a gas station between the site and my house. I had a bunch of change in my car. It was $2 for air, quarters only. I did not have enough, so I had to use a credit card. After getting my tire repaired, I bought a new portable air compressor that plugs into the car. (I used to share one with my wife after mine broke.)

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Apparently I haven't had quite enough 70's this year. Spur of the moment concert at the Ryman. The headliner was Jon Anderson (front man for Yes) with a different group backing him. I'd seen Yes at one point (Owner of a Lonely Heart time frame) To my ears, and I'll admit I'm not the most ardent Yes fan, it sounded pretty darn close to Yes. My sister and Mr Adz enjoyed it immensely and I liked it.

The opener was Carl Palmer of Emerson Lake and Palmer which is a little more my style. Emerson and Lake both passed away some 8 years ago but Palmer played the drums with live guitarists along with audio/video of Emerson and Lake. You could tell CP was definitely enjoying his front man status and he was quite personable. I never saw ELP in concert so this is as close as I'll ever get. Mr Adz said he'd have paid an additional $30 NOT to see that, but I liked it better than Yes. After seeing them and Springsteen a few months ago I can make the following observations: boomers in concerts attempt to do the same moves we did in the 70's (clapping hands in the air, an occasional yowl, a few random spurts of dancing before having to sit down to rest) and a cane is a far cooler look than a walker.
I have a funny quasi-ELP related story.

My nephew was going to Northwestern near Chicago. He was living off campus. My brother gave me directions to his apartment for a family get together when he was graduating. We ended up in front of the phone building in Evanston. I looked around on foot for his building for a few minutes in the pre-GPS era. Then my wife and I went back a mile and picked up the directions again after reading them over. We ended up back at the phone building!

We were near the intersection of Emerson and Lake. My wife and I had visited Evanston several times, so we were able to figure out where to go. We were a few minutes late. I announced that we were sent to the intersection of Emerson, Lake and Palmer streets by my brother's directions, to much laughter. (There several places in Chicago where 3 streets meet.)

I liked ELP better than Yes, who I found boring, except for Owner of a Lonely Heart.

My daughter lives near Palmer Street in Chicago, which is parallel to Emerson, but miles away. Life can be strange.

Last edited:

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017

My nephew was going to Northwestern near Chicago. He was living off campus. My brother gave me directions to his apartment for a family get together when he was graduating. We ended up in front of the phone building in Evanston. I looked around on foot for his building for a few minutes in the pre-GPS era. Then my wife and I went back a mile and picked up the directions again after reading them over. We ended up back at the phone building!

We were near the intersection of Emerson and Lake. My wife and I had visited Evanston several times, so we were able to figure out where to go. We were a few minutes late. I announced that we were sent to the intersection of Emerson, Lake and Palmer streets by my brother's directions, to much laughter. (There several places in Chicago where 3 streets meet.)

I liked ELP better than Yes, who I found boring, except for Owner of a Lonely Heart.

My daughter lives near Palmer Street in Chicago, which is parallel to Emerson, but miles away. Life can be strange.
I just thought those were the names of band members. Or were they and it's a coincidence?

Yes is probably a little better away from their commercial hits, but I liked their album art better than their music. :dunno:

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN

I didn't know that about Chicago! Haven't been there enough times to get lost there, I suppose. But that is classic.

SouthNash

Oct 25, 2014
Question...do I have to kick comcast(gladly) to the curb since they don't carry Bally anymore? Let me know now so I don't forget and I'm frantically searching on game night! Thanks!

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I'm glad they worked it out but I'll probably still drop Comcast. Our bill is outrageous. We have 2 internets right now. I use Google Fiber for my computer and we also use it for the downstairs TV but we haven't taken the Comcast equipment back so I've kept using it on the upstairs TV. The Roku brings everything in in 4K but I have to go through the Xfinity app on Roku. And THAT will only come through on a Comcast connection. Once we cut it completely I'll have to reconfigure the Roku but at that point I should be able to watch Netflix on TV again. It refuses to work with Comcast!

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I'm glad they worked it out but I'll probably still drop Comcast. Our bill is outrageous. We have 2 internets right now. I use Google Fiber for my computer and we also use it for the downstairs TV but we haven't taken the Comcast equipment back so I've kept using it on the upstairs TV. The Roku brings everything in in 4K but I have to go through the Xfinity app on Roku. And THAT will only come through on a Comcast connection. Once we cut it completely I'll have to reconfigure the Roku but at that point I should be able to watch Netflix on TV again. It refuses to work with Comcast!
Comcast is truly awful. I can't wait to get rid of Xfinity!

Reactions: SouthNash

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Got a new job that I start tomorrow. Super excited as my main territory will be Nashville. Many more trips planned, especially from October thru July.
You're starting a new job, how exciting for you! Glad you'll be close enough to catch a few games.

From my end, retirement began today. It is so strange to not be on vacation and yet not working! I'll get used to it but after working most of my adult life (with exception of when kids were babies) it is different to not have a schedule!

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
You're starting a new job, how exciting for you! Glad you'll be close enough to catch a few games.

From my end, retirement began today. It is so strange to not be on vacation and yet not working! I'll get used to it but after working most of my adult life (with exception of when kids were babies) it is different to not have a schedule!
I hope you’ve earned it. I am on disability retirement and it sucks but I’m trying to do the best I can

Marty Party

Back @ The Bridge
Mar 2, 2012
Nashville
ace.mu.nu
Howdy.

20240803_200219.jpg

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I hope you’ve earned it. I am on disability retirement and it sucks but I’m trying to do the best I can
At 66 years old and with 33 years at this job alone, yeah, I think I've earned it. Except for the few years I stayed home with babies I've worked full or part time since 1973. Funny how quickly the days of the week became blurred.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
At 66 years old and with 33 years at this job alone, yeah, I think I've earned it. Except for the few years I stayed home with babies I've worked full or part time since 1973. Funny how quickly the days of the week became blurred.
It will do that when you’re on retirement and you run out of stuff to do. Don’t be afraid to grab a part-time job.

This board does have spoiler tags, if you want to share
That would require knowledge and skill. But I’m spending my time working on my first solo clown gig so they’ll be more photos if anybody wants them

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
It will do that when you’re on retirement and you run out of stuff to do. Don’t be afraid to grab a part-time job.

That would require knowledge and skill. But I’m spending my time working on my first solo clown gig so they’ll be more photos if anybody wants them
Well, I can provide at least one of those things. Typing in the following:
Code:
[spoiler]This is an example[/spoiler]
gets you something like this:

This is an example

Typing those on either side of an image will have the same effect.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
So far my biggest problem has been forgetting exactly what day it is. I look forward to hockey season when I'll have a reason to care. Ha! If it wasn't for my regular Friday veggie pick up I'd be completely sunk.

This house has so much stuff to straighten up, I doubt I will run out of things to do, it's more like a lack of the things I WANT to do. BUT if I do, I have a long standing offer from someone to work for them.

Reactions: PredsV82

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Hello. Thought I should introduce myself. I've been lurking here for a few weeks as I pondered moving from Houston to Nashville. Now that I have formalized plans to make the move prior to the start of hockey season, I suspect I will become a more active participant in this forum.

I'm a Blues fan. I grew up in the St. Louis area. As I moved around, first for school, and then for work, my love of the Blues has remained. But I've never lived anywhere with an NHL team. Which excites me to no end!

I plan to attend as many Preds games as I can, rooting for my new hometown team. Except when they play the Blues. I look forward to getting to know the city, the team, and y'all!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad